Linton is often bypassed by modern tourists as they head up Wharfedale for the more spectacular scenery of the Dales. They are missing a treat, as this lovely village has changed little since the time of Shaw's picture. The imposing building with the cupola is 'Fountaine's Hospital', built in 1721 as almshouses. Linton's pretty green, old-world inn and ford across the River Wharfe helped win it the title of the north's 'Loveliest Village' in 1949.
J. W. Shaw Exhibition Main Menu