​​​​​ ​

Scott Cowells of Blackburn | George Eddie​ | Elijah Holt

 Scott Cowells of Blackburn​

The long forgotten memories of two people I had not to considered to exist seemed to take back their shape, almost by accident, whilst I was attempting a family history project of putting names to faces in boxes of unknown family photographs that had belonged to my late grandfather. The secrets of which he had taken to the grave with him.
Joseph and Clara Scott-Cowell were a married couple from Blackburn who, during the 1930s, became the first ever husband and wife to be elected and to serve on the old Borough Council of Hartlepool in its history. Clara would also be forever linked to the town by becoming its first female representative. By all accounts, the pair became very active and popular in that particular community. They were applauded for their 'open house' attitude towards meeting with and allowing time for their constituents.

JPEG1 new.jpg 
  Joseph & Clara Scott-Cowel

Joseph Cowell (as he was known at first) was the eldest son of my great, great grandmother’s sister. Confused? Don't be – all that is important is that Margaret Scott (my Great Great Grandmother) and her sister, Mary Jane, (Joseph's mother) left the general Hartlepool area at the turn of the century in the search for work, which they found in Blackburn.  Both sisters found employment as domestic servants.
In 1893, Mary Jane Scott was working for a family on Feilden Street when she met and married widower James Henry Cowell who was a postman. James Henry was almost 20 years his bride’s senior and already had four sons of school age from his previous marriage. In January of 1895 his fifth son, Joseph Scott Cowell, was born at 43, Whalley Range which was then a Post Office; in fact it was still a functioning Post Office 120 years later, sadly, closing its doors during 2015. It would turn out to be the perfect setting for Joseph's birth.

Post Office, 43, Whalley Range, Blackburn​​
Fast forward a decade and a half and the family are recorded living at 25, Penny Street. James Henry was working as a rural Postman and was joined in the service by two of his older sons at the General Post Office on Darwen Street. Fresh faced, 14 year old Joseph was also on the payroll of the family employer as a telegraph messenger or 'Telegram Boy' in the Telegraph Engineer's office at 40, Victoria Street.


JPEG3 new.jpg 
Tele​gram Boy, Joseph Cowell (c.1910)​

Telegraph Messenger Militia
In January 1913, Joseph can be found starting out as a Postman from the small village of Cononley near Bradford. This is possibly how he came into contact with the photography pioneer and famous printer Percy Lund. As, 4 years later, while fighting on the frontline as part of the 62nd Signals of the West Riding Regiment – Joseph Scott Cowell was responsible for editing a Lund-Humphries publication by the name of 'Pelican Pie' (taking its name from the Pelican logo of the regiment). Pelican Pie was a light hearted, morale boosting magazine that had a circulation of 100,000 copies amongst front line troo
JPEG5 new.jpg 
 Pelican Pie

After the war, Cowell stayed on in Germany as part of the 'Army of Occupation' writing as a journalist for the Provincial Press which brought him to attention, in particular for his reporting on the ongoing dispute over the industrial Ruhr region of Germany and under whose control it should fall under. He was a media merchant, an advertiser, a propagandist at the birth of mass media and global communications. If he were alive today then he'd probably be working as a 'spin doctor'. Naturally then, there was only one way his career was heading – into politics.
In 1919, Joseph returned home to Blackburn, the same year in which his mother Mary passed away. Although only an unproven theory, I believe this was a time when he became closer to his Aunt (my great, great grandmother) and used her address as his Blackburn base when he would, later on, move away from the town. It would explain why I have come into possession of so much of his material and things relating to him.
The following year, Joseph, of 45 Balaclava Street, would marry Clara Bradshaw, of 3 Poplar Street. Clara was a former cotton weaver turned saleswoman and the daughter of Mary and brick-maker George Bradshaw. In a service at Holy Trinity Church, Blackburn, Clara’s only brother Thomas would be a witness. From that day, 31st January 1920, the couple would now be known as Joseph and Clara Scott-Cowell. This new double barrelled surname displayed a fine example of their self-marketing expertise.
Following the footsteps of his two uncles, Joseph and Alexander (Mary's brothers), Joseph Scott-Cowell would briefly set up as a publisher and freelance journalist in Richmond Chambers. A later newspaper article in the Northern Daily Mail, October 26th 1935 recorded,
“He was formally in business at Blackburn as a publisher and freelance journalist... he is also the author of numerous boys stories and character sketches”
I have yet to find any of his work in regards to this though; his pen name is still a mystery to me, although I have searched and searched. Another article from February 1928 in the Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield Herald gives further mention of some of the publishing work,
“We are pleased to announce that a brochure of verse-”Youth” and other Poems-by J. W. Slator, residing at 73 Selwyn Street, Hillstown, Bolsover, has just been published. The publishers are Scott-Cowell, Richmond Chambers, Blackburn. Mr Slator is 21 years of age and is employed at the Bolsover Colliery.”
Richmond Chambers faced number 6, Richmond Terrace which at the time was the headquarters of the Blackburn Liberal Association and both Joseph and Clara became members. The sliding Liberals would have been glad of Scott-Cowells skill set given it was a mere shadow of the powerhouse it once was. Though even Joseph couldn't do much about the miserable 4th place Viscount Erleigh received in the general election of 1929. Though to be fair, Scott-Cowell had already left the Viscount’s campaign team to take up the position of Liberal Association Secretary for the Hartlepools in 1928. On April 5th he was officially welcomed by the Hartlepool Liberals at a meeting at Brougham Hall.

JPEG6 front new.jpg 
Election Card for Viscount Erleigh found amongst photographs Front
JPEG6 back new.jpg 
© Brian Slater
Reverse of above card

JPEG7 new.jpg 
Councillor Mrs Scott-Cowell at a foundation stone laying ceremony​

Joseph would keep the position of Secretary for seven years until the Scott-Cowells made history and both successfully stood in the council elections of 1934 in the Throston Ward. Just 18 months later and the pair were focussing on Joseph's campaign for the General Election of 1935 in which he chose to stand as an Independent Liberal. It is fair to say that everything was thrown into the effort. It was quite obvious though that he was a much more dangerous of an opponent using the written word rather than the spoken. He did, however have some very interesting and very public battles with his rival William Howard Gritten and used some very clever PR tricks in the local press (with whom I'm sure he had some extremely good contacts). The campaign ultimately failed though and the results were as follows:

General Election 1935: The Hartlespools

PartyCandidate  Votes%-/+ %
ConservativeWilliam G. H.Gritten21,82847.8-20.3
LabourC.A. Goatcher16,93137.0+5.1
LiberalCllr. J. Scott-Cowell6,93915.2n/a
Majority 4,89710.7-1.4
Turnout  83.0-12.7
Conservative Hold




JPEG8 new.jpg 
 Front Page Campaign Advert 1935

The Councillors handed in a double resignation and moved to London where Joseph took up an unknown posting. At the young age of just 43 years old, Joseph would fall victim to pneumonia and at Charring Cross hospital 14th June 1938 he breathed his last communication. A service was held 5 days later at Golders Green Crematorium and front page tributes were paid in the local press.
After the death of her husband, Clara continued the work they had both set out to achieve and carried on a career in serving the public, this time taking a role for the London County Council as a welfare officer.  It wasn't long before the war her late husband had feared and had so passionately spoken against broke out and with it Clara volunteered herself for a similar position in welfare with the armed forces and their families, and those affected by the Nazi bombing campaign, seeing out World War 2 in Blitz torn London.
In 1945 Clara found herself (like Joseph in the first world war) in a post war, defeated Germany and throughout ravaged Europe working in a humanitarian capacity for the United Nations Relief and Rehabilitation Authority. Her work with those displaced by the war was roundly applauded, leading one newspaper headline to announce her the 'Florence Nightingale of Welfare'. In a letter to Councillor T. H. Pailor, Mrs Scott-Cowell wrote,
“I have just finished a week of setting up committees in the camp, which is run on democratic lines. It is just like organizing a small town. Here we have 3,000 Ukrainians, and they are building up their and economic life in the camp. We have a kindergarten, elementary and secondary schools, a church and a theatre, both built by our own engineers and workers, and almost every kind of occupational workshop. All this in the face of obstacles!
I am rather proud of this town, which has sprung up in less than four months in what was once a German ammunition dump.”
Horror Crash 
In November 1946 disaster struck when Clara was involved in a horrific car  crash in Hamburg that almost took her life, she would spend many months of recovery in the British Military Hospital there. Eventually ,a full recovery was made and Clara was able to return to work, with a transfer to the International Relief Organisation before returning 'home' to see out the rest of her working life in London. Clara Scott-Cowell died at Doncaster in September, 1976.

JPEG9 new.jpg
Family Photograph
Back 2nd Left – My great, great grandmother Margaret Wright (nee. Scott)
Front Left to Right – Mrs Clara Scott-Cowell (nee. Bradshaw) and my great grandmother Annie Wright.
It is not the story I was looking to find when I started out, but as there is nothing to suggest it has been told before, and, in the memory of some distant, long ago relatives, I am almost obligated to tell it so that at least then it exists.
Article and photographs by Brian Slater, 2015.


George Eddie​​

Radio Blackburn's 'Off the Cuff' programme interviewer Jack Thompson talks to Blackburn Alderman George Eddie on the 9th June 1971.   Sir George first came to Blackburn as a Labour Party agent during the 1920s.  During the interview, Sir George strongly asserts his credentials as a democrat in local politics, and says his Socialism is rooted in Christian Evangelism.  When asked whether there was a contradiction between his Socialism and acceptance of a Knighthood, Sir George said it took quite a bit of persuasion by the Party before he agreed to do so.  The final rally of the 1945 General Election was held in the old market square where, according to Sir George, a crowd of 10,000 sang Jerusalem.  DW 2018

20 min 52 sec

This recording appears on Cotton Town by kind permission of Radio Lancashire.

This production is protected by copyright, and may be used for private viewing only. It may neither be broadcast in any way, including the internet, nor be copied or reproduced by electronic means, without written permission from the copyright holders.   ​



Elijah Holt​

Holt Elijah cropped.jpg
(c) Blackburn Times 

We record with great regret the death of Mr. Elijah Holt, J.P of Ingledene, Ramsgreave which occurred suddenly on Thursday whilst he was on a visit to his sister-in-law at Clitheroe. Mr. Holt was 80 years of age, and, though he had been under the care of Dr. Moffatt, he took an active part in the work of the many organizations in which he was interested up to the last. The attack, which proved fatal was the third seizure of the kind. Mr. Holt is survived by his third wife and eight children – three by his first wife, two by his second, and three by his third.

The name of “Lijah” Holt was one to conjure with. He was a remarkable man, and a typical example of the truth of the assertion that a strenuous life and longevity are not incompatible. Eighty years of age on April 7th last, he was in harness up to the last. Born in Walmsley Street, Brookhouse on Easter Sunday 1853, he was the youngest of seven children. At nine years of age he was working in a Drapers shop in Northgate; at 13 he started as a “tenter” at Brookhouse Mills; at 15 he had two looms, then four; later he was made a tackler, and finally weaving manager, which position he held for 12 years. From 19 years of age he had been a keen politician, and, it is not surprising that being reared in a district where the Hornby influence was, and still is, very great, he should be a Tory of Tories. 

His first experience of a parliamentary contest was at the general election of 1852. That was in the days of open voting and corrupt practices when picking-sticks, pokers, bludgeons, and paving stones were common weapons of the party warfare. Mr. Holt was in the thick of many a fight, and his reminisces and personal experience of 50 to 60 years ago would have made an interesting volume of reading. But he was really a very modest man and could never be persuaded to publish a book and was not often even cajoled in to talking about the “good old times”. His enthusiasm for the Conservative cause attracted the attention of Sir Henry (then Mr. Hornby) when he was leader of the local Tory party and led to a change which had important results for Mr. Holt. It was in 1880 when he accepted the post of Conservative registration agent; and on his retirement 23 years later, the record he left behind him was one of which any man would be proud. Under Mr. Holts guidance the electioneering machinery of the Conservative party was brought to a high state of efficiency. Not only did the Tories capture both parliamentary seats and continue to hold them whilst Mr. Holt was at the helm, but they made their position secure on the Town Council, the Board of Guardians, and the School Board. How devotedly he worked for the party those 25 years may be gathered from a remark he once made to the writer, that he had only once in the period taken a whole weeks holiday at one time, and that was an occasion when he went to London. At the time of his death he was, and had been for 40 years, chairman of St. Johns and Trinity Conservative Club; and the chairman of St. Michaels Ward Committee since that ward was formed on the redistribution of seats in 1892.

But, apart from politics, Mr. Holt was a very well-known man because of his connection with the Blackburn Philanthropic Friendly Collection Society which extends over 60 years. He had been the president for over 60 ears. He saw it grow from small beginnings into one of the largest societies of its kind in the country, and there is no doubt the society owes a great deal of its success to the way in which the business has been shrewdly and wisely directed by the president. He had great capacity for controlling aa meeting even when such gatherings contained all the elements of a “row”. The two great meetings held in the Free Trade Hall, Manchester this year are only instances of his ability as a leader of men. He always took great care that the letter of the law was strictly observed, and, being a ready speaker and keen debater, the opposition at any meeting, political or otherwise, invariably found themselves check mated when “Lijah” was in the chair. His great services to the Tory party and the Philanthropic were many times recognized by the presentation to him of testimonials of a valuable character. When he retired from active life in 1905, he was particularly pleased that his name was enrolled on the Commission for Peace for the Borough on the 14th December that year.

At the Blackburn Police Court yesterday reference was made to his death.

DSC05401 300 Holt Elijah gravestone St Peters Bburn Crompton P May 2020.jpgThe chairman (Mr. A.H Cottam) expressed regret that such a painstaking magistrate should have been removed from their midst. He was well known in the town and had been a hard worker all his life. He was appointed to the bench eight years ago, and as far as his health would permit, he diligently followed his duties. He moved that a letter of condolence be sent to the family of the deceased.

This was supported by Mr. Harry Backhouse on behalf of the bar (and carried in silence)

At a meeting at the Board of Management of the Philanthropic Friendly Collecting Society held yesterday morning Mr. Robert Walmsley, the vice-chairman, referred in appreciative terms to the services rendered by the deceased gentleman, and a vote of condolence was passed to the widow and family.

The funeral takes place on Tuesday morning, at Salesbury Church, and will be of a public character. The cortege leaves Ingledene at 11.15.

Source – "The Blackburn Times", 7th June 1913 transcribed by Philip Crompton who also provided the photograph of Elijah's memorial gravestone (left_ in St Peter's Church Yard, Blackburn, June 2020

​​back to top​​