Blackburn Times May 28th, 1887. Page 8, Col. 1.
The opening of the Blackburn Corporation Tramways, as far as Church, has been sanctioned, as Major General Hutchinson made the inspection on Wednesday, and the cars will commence running to-day, and will, no doubt, be largely used during Whit-week. The Inspector met Mr. McCallum, the borough engineer, on Thursday, at Blackburn, and in company with that gentleman and Mr. Cramp, of Messrs. Cosh and Co., London, lessees of the tramways, walked behind an engine and car to Church. The Inspector was perfectly satisfied with the construction of the road; and after a close examination of the mechanical construction of the engines, which are by Messrs. Green and Co., of Leeds, the new patent brake, which is so made that it applies itself when the engine attains a speed of over eight miles an hour, was tested on the return journey to Blackburn, and was found to act very satisfactorily on the steep gradients at Furthergate and Eanam.
The inspector expressed himself perfectly satisfied. At Church the party were met by Aldermen Dixon, Alker, Whiteley, Howorth, and Parker; Councillors Boyle, Higson, Eastwood, Bradshaw, Howorth, Leaver, and Calvert [members of the Highway Committee]; and other gentlemen, who returned with the Major-General to Blackburn. Four engines and one car have already arrived, and for the present are located in the Accrington depot. In construction the engines are like those of the Accrington tramways. They are, however, of different colour, the body of the engines being painted with "a greenery-yallery" tint. The cars, made by the Ashbury Co., Limited, Manchester, also resemble those at Accrington, but several improvements have been introduced. They are on the bogey principle, and are of considerable length, being made to carry 60 passengers - 30 inside and 30 outside, with "garden seats" on the top. They are wider than the Accrington cars, and a portion of the top is encased, thus protecting passengers from the weather. The body of the car is painted scarlet. The interior of the cars is like those on the Accrington cars, save that the seats are cushioned.
Tramway and Railway World, September 5th, 1907.
Today, the cars of the Blackburn and Accrington Corporation's electric tramways now run over the routes of both corporations. Under the terms of the agreement, Accrington supplies the electrical energy and collects the fares, paying Blackburn 4d. for every mile run over it's routes.
Blackburn Corporation Tramways commenced a service as far as Church on May 28th 1887 just in time for the Whitsuntide holiday. We can imagine the crowds that gathered to experience the ride out of town via Salford and then up Eanam to Copy Nook.
The route was electrified on 9th August 1901 and by September 1907 Blackburn and Accrington Corporations were running trams through to both towns.
Accrington closed its route to Church in 1932. The Intack to Church section went in January 1949 and the Blackburn to Intack in September of that year when a car filled with long service drivers and conductors escorted the last tram along the route.
Opening of Route
August 25th, 1888.
Northern Daily Telegraph August 24th, 1888. Page 3, Col. 5.
Major General Hutchinson, from the Board of Trade, inspected the new section of tram lines from Salford Bridge to the top of Preston New-road this morning. He expressed satisfaction at the work, and gave permission for the opening of the line. The trams will commence to run to-morrow morning at nine o'clock.
Blackburn Evening Express August 25th, 1888.
The Preston New-road section of the Blackburn and District Tramway Co., was opened this morning for public traffic. Much interest was evidently manifested in the opening of the new route judging from the crowds of people assembled at the starting point. The cars for upwards of an hour were crowded each journey. The service will be a ten minute one. Some fine horses have been purchased to run on the new section, steam as is generally known being prohibited. The cars too have been made specially for this route and have been supplied by the Oldbury Carriage Company. They are licensed to carry 32 persons.