Fernhurst Farmhouse | Fernhurst Farmhouse Barn | Chapels Lane Farmhouse Tockholes 
 Higher Hill Farmhouse Tockholes | Higher Hill Barn Tockholes | Higher Hill Barn Tockholes 
Higher Red Lee Farmhouse Tockholes | Higher Red Lee Farmhouse Barn Tockholes 
Ryal Farmhouse Tockholes | Ryal Farmhouse Barn Tockholes | Silk Hall Manse and Farmhouse Tockholes 
Fine Peter's Farmhouse Tockhole | Red Lee Farmhouse Tockholes | Lower Hill Farmhouse Barns Tockholes

 

 

 ​ Fernhurst Farmhouse 


 
Grade II
Date listed : 19 APR 1974
Date of last amendment : 19 APR 1974

SD 62 NE 5/61
 
Dated 1700 BW. Stone farmhouse with slate roof partly flagged, 2 storeys. Low gabled porch with dated lintel and ball finials. Rough quoins. Formerly 2- and 3-light stone-mullioned windows, some with labels, but some mullions now removed, and most windows with sashes inserted. Exclude later farm buildings attached on west end.
 
 

Fernhurst Farmho​​​use Barn 

 
 
Grade II
Date listed : 19 APR 1974
Date of last amendment : 19 APR 1974

SD 62 NE 5/61A
 
Good Victorian stone barn in farmyard, large, with quoins and round "eyes". Built to take advantage of sloping terrain, with shippons at lower end in farmyard and barn at upper end nearer the fields.
 
 
 
 

Chapels Lane Farmh​ouse Tockholes 

 
Grade II
Date listed : 27 AUG 1952
Date of last amendment : 27 AUG 1952

SD 62 SE

Farmhouse, probably later C17, now house. Coursed sandstone rubble with quoins, slate roof with one chimney on the ridge (originally left gable) and at both present gables. Originally 2-bay baffle entry, with one bay added at left end in C18. Two storeys; entrance at junction of 1st and 2nd bays (now covered by modern porch); to the right 2 mullioned windows on each floor, all with chamfered mullions: at ground floor of 6.and 5 lights, with linked hoodmoulds, and at 1st floor of 4 and 5 lights. First bay has altered windows in C18 openings. Right return wall has blocked 1st floor window with hoodmould. Rear has 2-storey extension, probably late C18. Interior altered.
 

 

Higher Hill Farmh​ouse Tockholes 

 
Grade II
Date listed : 24 NOV 1966
Date of last amendment : 24 NOV 1966

SD 62 SE  
  
Large farmhouse, C17, with some C19 alterations. Sandstone rubble with quoins, stone slate roof with gable copings and kneelers, one chimney on the right at the junction of the 1st and 2nd bays, a smaller chimney behind the ridge at the junction of the 2nd and 3rd, and another at the front left corner. F-plan: 3 bays with projecting wing to the front of the 1st bay and projecting porch at the junction of the 1st and 2nd bays, 2 storey outshut to rear. Two and a half storeys, presenting 2 gables to the front: gabled 2-storey porch with oversailing upper floor has a segmental-headed moulded doorway in a surround of dressed blocks with a moulded cornice, a moulded datestone surround rising from this (now containing a carving), a 3-light window at 1st floor and a blocked round-headed light in the gable, which has kneelers. Some windows have been replaced with C19 sashes, but there are original windows, mostly with hollow-moulded mullions, chamfered surrounds, and hoodmoulds, in all walls: wing has a blocked round-headed light and a 2-light window at ground floor and another in the attic, a hoodmould to a blocked window in the re-entrant with a single light above, and a 2-light window on each floor of the return wall; there are blocked attic windows with hoodmoulds in both gables of the main range; and in the rear wall a king-mullioned window of 3+3 lights, a 2-light firewindow; and a 3-light window on each floor of the 1st bay. Otherwise, the principal external features of interest are a complete garderobe at 1st floor of the return wall of the wing, and a stone at 1st floor of the right gable wall lettered "RW" (= Ralph Walmsley?). Interior: housepart in 2nd bay has 2 lateral beams with ovolo moulding, parlour in 1st bay has Tudor-arched stone fireplace with chamfered surround, and is now opened out to include the whole of an original stone staircase which has ¼-turns to left and to right, the latter supported on a moulded stone corbel, the former passing the restored single-seat garderobe. History: home of the Walmsleys, yeomen, who bought the Ryal estate in 1660: house is very similar to Ryal farmhouse (q.v.).
 
 
 
Grade II
Date listed : 24 NOV 1966
Date of last amendment : 24 NOV 1966

SD 62 SE 
 
Barn, probably later C17, subsequently extended. Sandstone rubble in dry- jointed courses with quoins, stone slate roof with gable copings. Four bays with lofted addition at left end. Breathers on 2 levels (most blocked); doorway to original 1st bay has large rectangular lintel (now blocked), opposed wagon entrances to 3rd bay have canopies with cheeks. Addition at left end has doorway, horizontal rectangular window left of it and a square opening above. Interior: collar-truss roof.
Higher Hill Barn c.20 metres west of Higher Hill Farmhouse.

 
Grade II
Date listed : 27 AUG 1952
Date of last amendment : 27 SEP 1984
 
SD 62 SW
 
Farmhouse, dated 1674 on porch, now house. Coursed sandstone rubble with quoins, stone slate roof with gable copings and kneelers, chimney on the ridge at junction of 2nd and 3rd bays. Typical 3-bay baffle-entry 2½- storey house with full height gabled porch at junction of 2nd and 3rd bays, lean-to outshut to rear of 1st and 2nd bays. Doorway (offset to right) with moulded surround and moulded hoodmould, stone side bench and inner doorway with tongue-stopped chamfered surround and heavily studded door; above the door a square datestone lettered R A E (= Richard and Elizabeth 1674 or Ellen Aspden), at 1st floor a 4-light window with a hoodmould (lacking 2 mullions), and in the gable a round-headed light with hollow spandrels, a dripstone in the apex; left side wall of porch has a round-headed stairlight. Otherwise, 3 windows each floor, all originally double-chamfered stone mullioned withhoodmoulds, but lacking all mullions except one: to the left, 3 and 4 lights at ground floor, 3 and 3 above; to the right, 3 lights at ground floor and 2 above. Left gable wall has small ground floor window, former 3-light window at 1st floor, and a mullioned 3-light attic window; right gable wall has a stepped 3-light window with stepped hoodmould, a 3-light 1st floor window with a hoodmould (both these lacking mullions), and a mullioned 2-light attic window: rear has some windows which were formerly mullioned. Interior: inglenook with stone heck, chamfered bressummer, remains of old wattle-and-daub smoke hood visible in a cupboard, small firewindow and recess for saltcupboard; beams with tongue-stopped ¼-round moulding; partitions to 1st bay removed; chamfered stone parlour fireplace in 3rd bay; dog-leg stone stairs in porch; timber-framed 1st floor partition; roof trusses with collars and raked struts. (House forms a group with Red Lee Farmhouse to the west (q.v.).
 
 
Grade II
Date listed : 27 SEP 1984
Date of last amendment : 27 SEP 1984
 
SD 62 SW
 
Barn, probably later C17, with stable at right end. Sandstone blocks and rubble, with quoins, stone slate roof. Barn is 3 bays with wagon entrance to the middle furnished with sliding door (which moves into old recess in 1st bay), 3 breathers to the 3rd bay. Stable set back at right end has chamfered doorway at the inner angle, window to the right of it, and is lofted. Continuous lean-to cowshed on a lower level to the rear.
 
 
 

 Rya​​l Farmhouse Tockholes 

 

Grade II
Date listed : 27 SEP 1984
Date of last amendment : 27 SEP 1984
 
SD 62 SE
 
Large farmhouse, C17, with some additions probably late C18. Sandstone rubble with quoins, tiled roof with gable copings and kneelers, double chimney stack on the ridge at the junction of the 1st and 2nd bays, a smaller chimney behind the ridge at the junction of the 2nd and 3rd. F-plan: 3 bays with projecting wingto the front of the 1st bay and projecting porch at the junction of the 2nd and 3rd bays, an added outshut to the front of the wing and filling the re-entrant, rear outshut to 3rd bay. Two and half storeys, presenting 2 gables to the front: gabled 2-storey porch with kneelers has a moulded round-headed doorway with rusticated voussoirs enclosed by a hoodmould, above this a recessed mullioned window of 3 round-headed lights with hollow spandrels and a hoodmould, and a blocked round-headed light in a chamfered surround in the gable. The 3rd bay has a simple doorway at ground floor; otherwise, all walls have original double-chamfered stone mullion windows with hoodmoulds, mostly unaltered: in the gable of the wing, 3 lights at 1st floor and 2 lights (blocked) above; in 3rd bay 3 lights at 1st floor; in the left return wall an altered ground floor window with hoodmould, a 2-light stairwindow, 2-light windows on each floor above, and 2 small windows; right return wall has at ground floor a blocked round-headed light and an altered window under one hoodmould, and blocked windows of 3 and 2 lights on each floor above (lower lacking one mullion). Rear has a lengthened king-mullioned window of 3+2 lights, a 2-light firewindow and a 4-light parlour window all under one hoodmould (stepped up over the first of these), and two 3-light windows at 1st floor (these all have glazing bars to small panes in the heads). The front outshut has remains of flush-mullioned multiple lights, and may have been a loomshop. Interior: in the housepart large chamfered beams with tongue stops, and over a former doorway at the lower end a lobed moulded plaster plaque lettered I.W E ( = John and Elizabeth Walmsley); 1676 in the parlour a stone fireplace with moulded Tudor-arched surround; off the parlour, enclosed by timber framing, a stone staircase which has ¼-turns to left and right; and in the chamber over the parlour a stone fireplace with an elaborately but crudely moulded plaster chimney piece including 2 angels. History: Ryal estate bought by William Walmsley, father of John, in 1660: house closely resembles Higher Hill farmhouse (q.v.), the home of John's brother Ralph.
 
 
 

Ryal Farmhouse Barn​​ Tockholes 

 
Grade II
Date listed : 27 SEP 1984
Date of last amendment : 27 SEP 1984
 
SD 62 SE
 
Barn, dated 1771. Watershot coursed sandstone, corrugated sheet roof, with kneelers to former gable copings which are now missing. Five bays. Segmental-arched wagon entrance to middle bay (now part boarded); left of this 3 windows at ground floor, right of it a doorway with large lintel above which is datestone with incised lettering C J & S . 1771 Left end wall has 3 doorways, all altered.
 
 
 

Silk H​all Manse and Farmhouse Tockholes 

 
Grade II
Date listed : 27 SEP 1984
Date of last amendment : 27 SEP 1984
 
SD 62 SE 
 
SD 661 231 
 
House, dated 1764 on porch, formerly called Silk Hall, now 2 dwellings. Coursed sandstone rubble with quoins, roof partly stone slates and partly felted, with one kneeler, one ridge chimney stack and 2 gable chimneys. Front faces Long Lane to the south. Double pile 3-bay plan (3rd bay is Silk Hall Farmhouse), with projecting porch at junction of 1st and 2nd bays. Three storeys, the top floor originally a workshop with external entry in gable wall from the rear. Three-storey gabled porch with gable coping and kneelers has plain doorway with massive dressed jambs and lintel, the latter with a moulded panel inscribed R a tall 1st floor window with ¨R S¨ 1764 architrave, a blocked oeil-de-boeuf in the gable, and in the right side wall a window at ground floor. Otherwise, 3 windows on each floor, mostly altered, those flanking the porch at 1st floor being square and those above and to the right mostly horizontal rectangular. (Cottages continued to right are not included in the item). Rear wall is rendered, has a round-headed stairlight and various altered windows, and at left gable a flight of stone steps leading to a door in the top floor of the gable wall. Interior: The Manse has original staircase with bracketed treads, open string, paired turned balusters, and ramped handrail; original doors with fielded panels; top floor workshop originally entirely open now partitioned between 2nd and 3rd bays, later staircase into it from 1st floor of The Manse. History: built by Ralph (and Susannah) Richardson "for a residence and for the purpose of his business as a chapman in silks" (Abram Blackburn pp. 701-2).
 
 

Fine Peter's Farmhouse​​ Tockhole 

 
Grade II
Date listed : 27 SEP 1984
Date of last amendment : 27 SEP 1984

SD 62 SE

Farmhouse and attached barn, dated 1757. Water shot coursed dressed sandstone with quoins, 2 parallel ridged roofs of stone slates, with gable copings and kneelers to barn. Gables to road. L-shaped plan, the house having a rear extension. House, which is left portion, has bands on 2 levels (continued on left return wall), and at the junction with the barn an unusual semi-circular projecting porch with Tuscan door case above which is a date stone inscribed "PME the lower band carried round the porch. 1757"' Right of the porch is an inserted window, left of it one window on each floor (breaking the bands) and a circular window in the gable above. Left return wall has 2 horizontal rectangular windows below the lower band, two 1st floor windows; rear extension has 2 windows each floor. Rear wall incorporates misshapen segmental head to an old wagon entrance, and has various C19 windows and doors.
 
 
 

R​ed Lee Farmhouse Tockholes 

 
Grade II
Date listed : 24 NOV 1966
Date of last amendment : 27 SEP 1984
 
SD 62 SW
  
Farmhouse, probably early C17. Coursed sandstone rubble with quoins, stone slate roof with gable chimneys. Now 2 bays, originally baffle-entry; possibly formerly 3 bays on U-plan. Two storeys. Projecting 1st bay, roof carried down over it, has plain doorway and 2 square windows; 2nd bay has at the right, close to the angle with the shippon, a very large blocked doorway with chamfered surround, to the left a 4-light double-chamfered stone mullion window (originally 5 lights), both these with unusually large hollow-moulded hoodmoulds, and at 1st floor a similar 5-light window without a hoodmould, and a very small chamfered window above the doorway. To the right the lean-to shippon projects like the 1st bay, and has remains of an old window (perhaps 4 or 5 lights), and an inserted door: perhaps formerly a right wing. Left return wall has inter alia a 4-light window at 1st floor. Rear has, at the junction of the bays, an outshut like a stair turret (the roof carried down over it) with remains of a 2-light window, to the left (2nd bay) a 2-light firewindow and a 3-light window at ground floor, a 4-light window above; and to the right a 4-light window lacking one mullion. Interior: beams with tongue-stopped ¼-round moulding, and in the end wall of the 2nd bay a very large stone arched fireplace, now blocked and covered.
 
 
 

Lower Hill Farm​​​house Barns Tockholes 

 
Grade II
Date listed : 27 SEP 1984
Date of last amendment : 27 SEP 1984
 
SD 62 SE
 
Barn, probably c.1700. Sandstone rubble roughly course with quoins, stone slate roof with stone gable copings. Four bays; some breathers (blocked); 1st bay has plain door, 2nd bay has wagon entrance with canopy and cheeks and wooden lintel, 3rd bay now has large rectangular opening. Rear has large lean-to extension. Interior: principal rafter roof with collars.
 
Grade II
Date listed : 27 SEP 1984
Date of last amendment : 27 SEP 1984
 
SD 62 SE
 
Barn, probably c.1700. Sandstone rubble roughly coursed, with quoins, stone slate roof with moulded gable copings. Three bays; large lean-to extension added to front of 1st and 2nd bays has in its right side a blocked doorway with cambered wooden lintel and dripstone, sheet roof; 3rd bay has external stone steps to loft and a 2-light stone mullion window at 1st floor. Right end wall has doorway with plain jambs and large humped lintel, 2 windows, 2 breathers, and a 1st floor opening.
 
back to top