​ 
Old Police Station and Court House | St. John's Church | Blackburn Technical School | Pleasington Priory  Bradshaw Brook Viaduct | Livesey Aqueduct | Eanam Wharf | Sough Tunnel Darwen 
 Boer War Memorial, Belgrave Square | Bold Venture Park Darwen | Belgrave Square Darwen



Old Police Station and Court House 

 
 
Grade II
Date listed: 12th April 1995
Date of last amendment: 12th April 1995 

SD 6828 SW
  
Police Station and Court House. 1912, by Briggs, Wolstenholme and Thornley. Sandstone ashlar, slate roofs. Large rectangular plan on corner site at junction with Duke Street, with Police Station to rear and beneath Court House, and a screen wall at the south end linked to King George's Hall. Classical style. Central block 3 storeys, side range 2 storeys with attics, all over rustic basement storey, 1:3:1:5:1:3:1 bays, symmetrical except for fenestration of side wings and additional screen wall to left; with channelled rustication to basement storey. In the 7-bay centre block the outer bays containing the main entrances break forward slightly and have chanelled rustication to full height, while the 5-bay centre has a giant colonnade of engaged Ionic columns, an entablature with plain frieze and prominent mutuled cornice carried round the whole, with a banded parapet to the centre and emblematic seated figures over the outer bays. Each outer bay has a giant round-headed archway with splayed reveal and run-out voussoirs containing a distyle Tuscan porch with moulded cornice; a tall window with metal balcony and pedimented architrave, and a bulls-eye window with enriched surround including a scrolled keyblock. The 5 centre bays have square windows in the rustic, corniced windows to the two main floors and square windows above these (all apparently with altered glazing). The lower side ranges have banded pilasters to the corner bays, each has a round-headed doorway, window architraves with aprons and key-blocks (the fenestration of the range to the left less regular than that to the right), a niche at 1st floor of the corner bay, dentilled cornice carried round, and a panelled parapet (higher over the corners). Full-height screen wall to the left in similar style, with round-headed archway. Large 2-storey range to rear, with it-window frontage to Duke Street in similar but compatible style. INTERIOR: axial public corridor with marble-faced pilasters, egg-and-dart cornices, barrel-vaulted ceiling with 4 circular skylights; vestibule to Court No. 1 and Court No. 2 off rear of centre of this; both these courts retaining all original panelled oak furnishings and fittings including balcony (Court No. 1 also has curved former Grand Jury balcony in side wall), coved sky-lighted ceilings, stained glass windows (including one lettered Mercy facing Bench and another lettered Justice facing prisoners dock); both prisoners' docks have staircases down to police station beneath, and that in Court No. 2 has remains of original speaking tube for policeman in attendance. Courts 3 and 4 on upper floors to rear.

 
 

St. John's Church 


 
Grade II
Date listed: 28th November 1951
Date of last amendment: 28th November 1951
 
SD 6828 SW 4/30
 
Victoria Street, Church of St. John the Evangelist. No longer in Ecclesiastical use. 1789. Vestry added 1865 by J Brindley, galleries and chancel additions 189l. Good west tower in 4 stages, rusticated below on lowest square stage, 1st storey with chamfered corners, 2nd (belfry) octagonal with Doric columns at the angles, and top stage also octagonal. A Venetian type west window. Pedimented Venetian windows on side walls, with semi-circular clerestory lights. Church of St John and Nos 25 to 31 (odd) form a group with Nos 51 and 53 James Street
 
 
 
 

Blackburn Techni​cal School 

 


Grade II
Date Listed: 5th March 1984
Date of last amendment: 5th March 1984
 
SD 62 NE 5/62
 
Terracotta College. Begun 1888. Smith, Woodhouse and Wiloughby. Brick with yellow terracotta decoration.Slate Roof. Two storeys, basement and attic. Northern Renaissance style. 5 wide bays, 1, 3 and 9 projecting united ornamental gables. 2 and 4 have 3 windows each. Central projecting porch with round arched entrance and angle turrets with balcony above. Projecting canted bays to side bays with balustraded balconies. Band of arcading above 1st floor cornice with terracotta ornament. Balustraded parapet.
 
 

 

Pleasington Pri​​ory 





Grade II
Date listed: 24th November 1966
Date of last amendment: 24th November 1966
 
SD 643 266
 
Pleasington Road, Roman Catholic Church of St. Mary and St. John the Baptist. Church, 1816-19, by John Palmer, with carving and sculpture by Thomas Owen. Ashlar, with low-pitched slate roof. Tall and prominent building in mixed Gothic style. Nave with aisles, polygonal apse. West front has C12-style portal of 3 orders with tablet flower and crocketed hoodmould, above which are 3 statues on corbels (the underside of the middle corbel is a bust of George, Prince Regent, lettered on each side "G" "R" and dated in the corner "MDCCCXIIII"), all these within a giant arch with dogtooth and small carved figures. Above this arch a small parapet pierced with quatrefoils separates it from the wall above, which is set back slightly, contains an elaborate wheel window, and is flanked by octagonal turrets terminating in 3-stage pinnacles linked by a parapet of zig-zag openwork meeting a crocketed cross on the apex. Left and right of the front are side-offices (containing staircase and vestry) which have elaborately carved niches lettered respectively THOMAS OWEN SCULPTOR and JOHANNES PALMER ARCHITECTUS, the latter having a hoodmould with figured stops portraying the architect's wife and his son. The gable above the wheel window has 3 lines of incised uncial lettering. Five-bay nave and aisles: nave has small buttresses, stepped triple lancet clerestory windows, and openwork lattice parapet; aisles have gableted buttresses and embattled parapets, 5-light windows with alternating Geometrical and Perpendicular tracery in shafted and deeply-moulded arches, hoodmoulds with figured stops; 4th bay on south side has simple priest door below ½-depth window. Short polygonal apse has buttresses at the angles, tall 5-light Perpendicular windows with transoms. Interior: high and luminous, with rib-vaulted roofs to nave and aisles (carved bosses in the centre), 4-bay arcade of shafted piers and moulded arches with dogtooth ornament; west end is occupied by a generous internal narthex presenting a 2-bay arcade to the nave (the supporting column rising from the centre of a pedestalled stoup) and carrying a raked choir gallery with an organ at the top; east end has traceried wooden communion rail on segmental steps to sanctuary, which is framed by a very high arch, and has on each side of the altar a large carved relief, depicting the Beheading of St. John, and the Magdalen; at south side priest's door is set in centre of elaborate carved stone screen. History: built as thank offering by John Francis Butler, then owner of Pleasington township, said to have cost £23,000. Exceptional form of Catholic chapel for the period before Emancipation; and very elaborate use of Gothic with sculpture of great originality. (References: Pevsner; Whitaker Whalley vol. II pp. 352-7).
 
 

Bradshaw Brook Viaduc​​t 



Grade II
Date listed : 27 SEP 1984
Date of last amendment : 27 SEP 1984
 
SD 727 120   
   
Railway viaduct carrying the Blackburn, Darwen and Bolton Railway over Bradshaw Brook, 1847-8: Resident Engineer, Terence Flanagan. Sandstone and brick. Slightly curved, 120 feet high: stone piers supporting 9 semi-circular arches of 50 foot span, which have red brick soffits and sandstone facing.
 
 
 
            Livesey A​queduct 

Grade II
Date listed : 27 SEP 1984
Date of last amendment : 27 SEP 1984
 
SD 644 245 
   
Aqueduct carrying Leeds-Liverpool Canal over Roddlesworth Water, 1810-16, Superintendent Engineer Joseph Priestley. Canal is carried on long embankment pierced by an egg-shaped culvert with stone faced abutments, which is the listed item. Rusticated rock-faced sandstone. Walls curve inwards to give semicircular plan, are strongly battered and rise in a continuous curve over the mouth of the culvert; low piers at the outer ends, radiating masonry with a keystone over the arch flanked by buttressing piers and crossed at the top by a projecting band. Some decoration visible: band stones have punched faces, and those parts of the buttresses not concealed by moss appear to have simple vermiculated patterns. Item crosses boundary with Withnell CP in Chorley District.
 
 
 

Eanam Wha​​rf 



G
rade II
Date listed : 19 APR 1974
Date of last amendment : 19 APR 1974
 
SD6828 SE 3/13
  
Long row of stone buildings with old flag roof, all adjoining. Small-paned windows hoists, large gabled awning on iron stanchions over ground floor. Stone loading platform in landward side, and stone wharf on canal side. B warehouse has a segment arched entrance, and 2 3-light stone-mullioned windows on each floor. British Waterways Office, No 50 (Canal House), Bank Cottage, warehouses and capstan form a good group of canal architecture. 
 
Iron Structure: Eanam Wharf
Probably circa 1800. A capstan? Large cylindrical iron column, tapering upwards, and mounted on 2 very large hexagonal steps. British Waterways Office, No 50 (Canal House), Bank Cottage, warehouses and capstan form a good group of canal architecture.
 
 
 
 

Soug​h Tunnel Darwen



​Grade II
Date listed : 27 SEP 1984
Date of last amendment : 27 SEP 1984
 
SD 72 SW
SD 707 208
  
Entrance to Sough Tunnel on Blackburn, Darwen and Bolton Railway, 1847-8; Resident Engineer, Terence Flanagan. Rock-faced gritstone. Medieval style. Horseshoe-shaped arch with rusticated voussoirs, battlemented parapet whiah has a machicolated turret corbelled on each side of the tunnel mouth.
 
 

Boer War Memorial, Belgrave Squar​​e


  

Grade II
Date listed : 27 SEP 1984
Date of last amendment : 27 SEP 1984

SD 62 SE
 
Memorial to South African War 1899-19O2. Ashlar with bronze plaque and sculpture. Elongated pedestal with moulded plinth, rounded corners, tapered moulding at the top, upon which stands a roaring lion with one paw resting on a ball. Lettering on plaque states that memorial was erected by the Mayor "in remembrance of all the Darwen men who fell", listing 14 names, with the appendix "Theirs not to reason why Theirs but to do and die"; and "in commemoration of the services voluntarily rendered by the following towns men", listing 50 names with the appendix "Honour the Brave". Memorial is enclosed by curved and ramped iron railings between 4 carved stone piers in a low curved wall.


 

Bold Venture Park Darwen 

 
Grade II
Date listed : 27 SEP 1984
Date of last amendment : 27 SEP 1984
 
SD 62 SE
 
War Memorial, c.1920. Ashlar with bronze panels and statue. Raised on 3 steps, with a square base and plinth, a tall square pier with moulded foot and cap, surmounted by a moulded tapering circular pedestal bearing a large bronze statue of a running angel with wings aloft. Front face of pillar lettered "... to the honour of over 1200 citizens of this town who gave their lives in the Great War 1914 - 1918. And those who died in the war of 1939 - 1945"; other three sides have inlaid bronze relief panels depicting a soldier; a sailor, and a nurse, the plinth beneath these lettered respectively HONOUR, FREEDOM, HUMANITY.
 
 
 

Belgrave Square Da​rwen


Grade II
Date listed : 27 SEP 1984
Date of last amendment : 27 SEP 1984
 
SD 62 SE
 
Matching pair of tram shelters and public lavatories, dated 1902, now closed. Ashlar with domed copper-clad roofs. South shelter regular octagonal, north shelter octagonal but elongated to rear. Single storey, in free baroque style; moulded stringcourse at impost level, moulded cornice, balustraded parapet. The angles have square piers at the lower level and stumpy Ionic colonnettes above, the cornice breaking out over these in exaggerated form and carrying scrolled consoles to short pillars with prominent caps and ball finials, between which run balustrades with ramped ends. The 3 sides to the street all have large round-headed openings, that on the inner side a door, others windows, all crossed by the string course above which the heads, as lunettes, have Gibbs surrounds and decorated extrados. On south side wall of south shelter is an attached bronze plaque lettered in relief. 

Iron railings to north, west and south sides of square appear contemporary and have knobbed bars with stone piers with moulded cornices at intervals.