​​Blackburn Encyc​lopedia E​-H


Eagle Court (1870-1958) 17 Back Lane / 17 Mincing Lane / 18a Darwen Street

Eagle Foundry Starkie Street / 20 Salford owned by Abel Davison & Price (1822 bankrupt) then Mercer & Thompson (1870) ironfounders ironmongers iron merchants etc. Mercer Bros (1878) Pickering Brown & Co (1903) shuttle makers

Eagle Street (1929) 140 (200) Accrington Road

Eanam (1246) 93 Salford Nos 1-69 and 22-46

Eanam (Higher) (1878) Nos 1-71 and 2-52

Eanam Brewery owned by Daniel Thwaites & Co (1870) brewers

Eanam Bridge mill Wharf Street owned by Aaron Sharples Bury JP (1878) cotton spinner & manufacturer then John Dean (1891-1912) cotton spinner 22,000 spindles

Eanam Cottage Mill (17) ran by James Rodgett (1824) cotton spinner

Eanam Gateway £2m second bridge and widening of Eanam to Copy Nook opened by Jack Straw MP and Sir Bill Taylor Friday 21 May 2004

Eanam Mill Quarry Street built & operated by James Rodgett & Co. in 1818. Taken over by minor partners John and Thomas Sparrow (1833-69) cotton spinners and manufacturers then owned by Daniel Thwaites on bankruptcy of previous owners who sub-divided the mills. With John Dean (1870) cotton spinner & manufacturer occupying the spinning mill followed by Thomas Abbott until 1876 when fire put an end to spinning. Aaron Bury, James Beads and Richard Galloway (1878) cotton manufacturer occupied the weaving mill when the four sheds were divided in 1880 into two separate mills. Eanam Mill No1 & 4 sheds were leased to Nichols Bros. in 1885 followed by No1 shed being taken by George Slater & Co.249 looms fine cambrics. In 1895 Mercer & Cartwright (1895-1915) acquired the lease becoming J Cartwright Ltd.(1922) and weaving until 1924. No2 & No 3 sheds were taken over by John Yates (1897-1930) after some short-lived partnerships. Weaving ended in 1930 and the property sold in 1933.

Eanam Old Road (1851-1941) Eanam

Eanam Reach (1851)

Eanam Wharf (1809) housed the Leeds and Liverpool Canal Co (1878) area director who was responsible for the Liverpool to Skipton length.                                                 agent:  Moses Hargreaves

The derelict premises having closed in 1962 were restored as a Business Development Centre by the Borough and opened in 1988.

Earcroft (Eacroft, Ewecrofte) (1619) Sandy Lane

Earcroft Farms (1851-1902) Lower Darwen                                         

John Ainsworth (1870); William Wilson (1870); James Eddleston (1870)

Earl Street (1870) 43 Whalley Range Nos 1-53 and 4-82

Earl Street North (1941-58) north Oozebooth Terrace

Earl Terrace (1903-41) 2 Holland Street

Easington Walk (1980)

East Bank (1870) 26 Shear Bank Road

East Bank Farm (1930-51) Feniscowles

Easter Fair (annual for cattle and produce) held in 1583 on 1st of May and still being held on that date in 1746. The Easter Monday fair and the Michaelmas Fair were introduced shortly after 1746.  Last one held on Market place in 1964. 1965 held on Birley Street, Larkhill site but the following year sees it held at the Ewood car park. Now at Witton Park without pot fair. February 2017 saw a fair held in the town centre for the first time on the Penny Street site of the old Market Hall.

East Lancashire Cricket (Bowling and Tennis) Club (1878) Alexandra Meadows Duke's Brow                                                                                                                             secretary: Thomas Eastwood (1889-1915) C A Milford (1930-47)

Has cricket field & pavilion, squash courts attached, 2 crown green bowling greens with pavilion.

East Lancashire Deaf and Dumb Society 3 Kendal Street (1884-1954) contained a chapel and recreation rooms.

Victoria Chambers Cort Street.                              hon. sec.: T R Thompson (1912-15); W Armistead (1930)

missioner: E Docharty (1912-15); T M Crellin (1939)

Converted to mosque in 1990s

East Lancashire Hospice Park Lee Road (formed 1980) Dr Merton Siegleman laid foundation stone 12/5/1983

Opened its doors 21/6/1984

East Lancashire Railway Co. formed in 1844 opened 25th September 1846 sold out to Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Co. 1859. Formed from Manchester, Bury & Rossendale Railway Co. and Blackburn, Burnley, Accrington & Colne Extension Co.

East Lancashire Regiment (4th Batt.) H Q & T A Centre Canterbury Street (1909-67) 8 companies; 5 Blackburn; 2 Darwen; 1 Clitheroe (1915)

Adjutant: Captain C H Ackroyd (1909) Colonel James Johnston V D. C.O. (1912) Captain Thomas McG. Bridges adjutant (1912) Col. F D Robinson C O. (1915) Captain James Livingstone adjutant (1915)

East Lancashire Regiment (1st. Vol. Batt.)  H Q. Canterbury Street, Blackburn

Captain H J Martin; Col. H J Robinson C O; Sergeant Major G Bennett (1903)

Last parade 21st March 1908

East Lancashire Regiment (4th-5th) H Q. Canterbury Street (1929-39) 4 companies; Accrington, Darwen and Padiham

East Lancashire Regiment (TA) (4/5th. Batt.) HQ 28 Canterbury Street. (1915-58)

East Lancashire Regiment Club, Simmons Street (1939)                 secretary: W Lynch (1939)

East Lancashire Road (1941-59) Bank Hey Lane

East Lancashire Road Transport Association Harts Chambers, 2 Victoria Street: secretary: T Fletcher (1930)

19a Railway Road:                                                                          secretary: Miss P D Bridge (1939)

East Lancashire Royal Field Artillery (1st) H Q 50 King Street (1909-35)

Lieutenant Colonel R F Delaforce C O; Captain Rooney adjutant (1909); Captain B Lamb adjutant (1912-15)

Lieutenant Colonel Frankish CO; Major C H Clark adjutant (1915); Col. G Ridehalgh C O (1930);

East Park Avenue (1941-58) Shear Brow

East Park Parade (1903-12) East Park Road

East Park Road (1870) off Preston New Road Nos 2-18 and 1-65 and 62-72

East Street (1878-1980) 39 Griffin Street Witton to be bulldozed 2012

East Street (1929-80) Feniscowles Pleasington

East View (1929-41) Cobden Street

East View Terrace (1903-58) Green Lane Cherry Tree 4 houses

Eastwood, James (1864) Albert Machine works iron & brass founder and machine maker

Eastwood Street (1885-1980) 10 Cob Wall Nos 1-23 and 2-24

Eaton's tenement (1721)

Ebenezer Primative Methodist Chapel meeting room in Eanam pre 1820. About 1836 chapel built in Montague Street opening in 1837

Ebony Street (1903) Ash Street Nos 1-17

Eccleshill (Ecckeshill, Ecckleshill, Ecckshill, Ecclesell, Eccleshull, Ecclesill, Ecclshill, Eckeshill, Eckleshill, Ecklshill, Eckshill, Ecleshill) (1246) Church Hill or Church on the Hill.

Eccleshill Road (1929) Lower Darwen

Eccles Row (1844-1966) Shorrock Street 33 Grimshaw Park Park Place mills 2 handloom weavers cottages

Eccles Row (1870) Clayton Street

Eccles Row Mission (Christ Church) opened in 1899 but closed in June 1906 and re-opened in July

Eccles Street / Dandy Square (1838-72) Darwen Street (1874) 5 School Street / Commercial Street Nos 2-78 and 33-65 all houses now demolished

Eccles Street (1878) Livesey

Eccles Street (1844-1980) between Highfield Road and Hall Street

Eclipse Mill Feniscowles owned by J H Haydock & Sons Ltd (1930-58) cotton manufacturers had 419 looms later purchased by Jones Textilities Ltd.

Eclipse Road (1980)

Eda Place (1903-41) Edith Street

Eddleston Street (1903-80) Mill Hill Nos 1-11

Eddleston Street (1929-59) Primrose Hill

Eddleston Terrace (1929-41) 170 Livesey Branch Road

Eddyholes (Edihoales, Ediholees, Ediholes) (1615)

Eddy Holes Farm Whalley Old Road Little Harwood (1590) Grade 2 listed in 1951. Purchased by Blackburn Corporation in 1891 for £7,000 for the purpose of building an asylum but wasn't carried out.

                                                                        Mrs Mary Parker (1870) Pomfret (1907) R P Pomfret (1966)

Edenhurst (1929) Preston New Road

Eden Street (1878-1941) 4 Copy Nook Nos 1-25 2 Corn Mill Cottages

Edge Court (1912) 17 Mincing Lane

Edge Nook (1872-1958) St. Thomas' Ward

Edge Nook Farm (1878-1966) Old Bank Lane                                                 J W Capstick (1966)

Edge Nook Road (1980)

Edgeware Road (1878) 37 Alexandra Road Nos 1-23 and 2

Edinburgh Court (1980)

Edith Street (1903-80) off Dewhurst Street Queen's Park Nos 1-15 and 2-14

Edith Terrace (1903-41) 2 Park Avenue

Edmund Street (1929-80) 526 Bolton Road Ewood

Edmundson Street (1878-1980) 44 Johnston Street Nos 1-57 and 2-48

Education Committee first established for the borough by the Town Council on March 23rd 1903 before last meeting of the School Board on 25th March

Education Offices Library Street (1909) closed in 1974 and demolished in 1984. Originally the School Board Offices. Designed by Stones & Gradwell architects Richmond Terrace Blackburn and costing £4,000

Directors of Education: Alfred H Whipple MA BSc (1909-15); J F Carr B Sc (1930-5); G F Hall BSc (1942-51);

Edward Street (1870-1959) 16 Whalley Old Road Nos 6 and 22/24

Egremont Close (1980)

Eldon Place (1870-1941) 53 Preston New Road

Eldon Road (1929) 89 Shear Brow

Eldon Street (1900) named after eminent judge became Eldon Road (1929) 89 Shear Brow Nos 1-49

Eleanor Street (1870-1980) 14 Higher Audley Street Nos 1-21 and 6-22

Electrical Contractors' Association Blackburn Branch, 4 Strawberry Bank (1951)

secretary: R Edgar Dixon (1951)

Electricity works No 1 Gas Works Jubilee Street (1895-1946) Burnley Road rural (1929-48)

chief engineer: A S Giles (1897-1903) Percy P Wheelwright MIEE (1912-25) engineer & manager:

W A Royle AMIEE (1930-5) R H Harral AMIEE (1939-51)

The Blackburn Corporation Electricity undertaking was established in 1890. The first generating station was opened on the site of the old gas works on 18th February 1895 by the then mayor. The 250ft chimney was demolished in 1925-6. The Whitebirk Power station (east generating station) was started in 1919 and completed with two 12,500 kw. turbo-alternators in 1922. The wooden cooling towers were replaced by four 250ft concrete ones between 1942 and 1954. Generating ended in 1976

Elgar Close (1998) Roman Road

Elgee Street (1903-59) New Wellington Street Mill Hill 2 houses

Eli Street (1929) off Whalley Street

Elim Church Grimshaw Park

Elim Hall New Wellington Street Mill Hill (1964)

Elim Place (1929-1941) New Wellington Street Mill Hill

Elizabeth House (1980)

Elizabeth Street (1870-1980) 8 Higher Audley Street

Ellen Street (1870-1903) Hutton Street Little Harwood Nos 2-14

Ellerbeck (Hotel) (1878) 37 Wellington Street (St John's)

Ellershaw Court (1903-65) 62 Mount Pleasant / Moor Street 13 cottages demolished 1965

Ellerslie (1870) 24 East Park Road                                                          Rev. Charles W Woodhouse MA (1870)

Ellerslie Auxiliary Hospital (British red Cross) Public Hall WW1

Ellesmere Terrace (1903-41) Revidge Road

The Elliott's Orchestra

Ellishaw's (Ellershaw) Court (1872-1956) 62 Mount Pleasant

The Elms (1878) Victoria Road Pleasington

Elms (1958) St Andrews

Elm Street (1903) Bay Street Whalley Old Road Little Harwood Nos 1-21 and 2

Ely Street (1941-66) 96 Whalley Street

Emerald Avenue (1929) off Brownhill Drive

Emerald Street (1929) 490 Whalley New Road

Emily Street (1870-1980) 130 Whalley Old Road / Moss Street Daisyfield Nos 19-59 and 2-78

Emma Street (1903-80) 42 Moorgate Street Mill Hill Nos 1-37 and 16-30

Emmanuel C of E Church

Emmanuel C of E School (1865-1951) Wilson Street Cherry Tree mixed and infants; The foundation stone was laid on 15th April 1865 by Lady Feilden of Feniscowles Hall opened 16th December costing £520

Empire Assembly Hall Randal Street (1915)

Empire Billiard Hall Randal Street (1951)

Empire Electric Theatre (Blackburn) Ltd (the Barn) Aqueduct Street (Road) (opened 10/1910-2000) designed by William Greenwood ARIBA Blackburn and opened as a cinema in 1910 sold to Essoldo group in 1957. Classic Cinema. In 1972 sold to an asian to show films to the ethnic minority. Acquired by the Blackburn Theatre Trust in 1979 for £12,000 and named the Red Brick Theatre during its conversion into a 200 seater theatre, at a cost of £450,000, re-named 'Thwaites Theatre' for the opening on Saturday 26th October 2002. Adjoining is the Capita Performing Arts Centre on Aqueduct Street.                                                   manager: H S Ainsworth (1912-15

Employment Exchange (Women) Clayton Street (1929-69)

Employment Exchange (Men) Philanthropic Buildings King Street (1929-69)

Employment (Bureau) Exchange (Juveniles) (1954-60s) Richmond Terrace (1954-60s)

Emporium                                                                                                    see Blackburn Co-operative

Empress Ballroom (1951) Town Hall Street

Empress Street (1903) Albert Place Lower Darwen Nos 8-18

Enamel Street (1878-1980) 62 Whalley Range Nos 3-7 and 6-16

Engine Street (1795-1870) off 43 Northgate named because it housed the first manual fire engine

England Avenue Fearnhurst (1990s)

Ennerdale Avenue (1980)

Ennerdale Road (1966)

Ermine Close (1980)

Ernlouen Close (1980)

Eskdale Crescent (1980)

Essex Close (1980)

Essex Street (1888-1966) 29 Dickinson Street Nos 3-33 and 6-14

Essoldo Cinema (1964)                                                                            see Exchange Picture Hall

Esther Street (1870-1980) 4 Gorse Street / Hole House Street

Evangelical Presbyterian Church Fecitt Brow (1912) foundation stones being laid by Edward Knight of Holden and Thomas Hayward of Manchester and the building which replaced a similar structure built in 1903 cost £800.

(The) Evergreens (1980)

Evening Express 41 Church Street (1889)                                                       see also Blackburn Standard

Evening Telegraph changed its name to Lancashire Evening Telegraph 1963

Everton Cottages (Row) (1836) Pleasant View 2-10 Roman Road and No. 40 Everton early 19c.were Grade 2 listed in 1974. Handloom weavers' cottages before modernization

Everton Comprehensive (High) School (1969-79) became Blakewater College since 2012 Tauheedul Islam Boys' High School

Ewood (Eawed, Eawood, Ewewood, Ewewoode) (1246) 1-13 including the Fox and Hounds Hotel Livesey Branch Road

Ewood (Euwood) Bridge (1831) Hollin Bank Bolton Road with its approaches cost £4,000 of which the county authorities contributed £1,500. Widened in 1925 at a cost of £10,800 The roadway was widened from 40ft to 65ft with a pathway of 20ft. The Aqueduct Inn was demolished and a new one built further back from the road, which still stands.

Ewood Court (1980)

Ewood Farm (1871-1930)

Ewood (Hewood) Fould (1789)

Ewood House (1832)                                                                                 James Kenyon (1832)

Ewood Methodist church (1969)

Ewood mill owned by William Birtwistle Allied Mills Ltd (1922-1958) previously owned by Ratcliffe Stones & Co (1870) cotton spinners & manufacturers followed by James Livesey (1902-22). Green & (Needham) Co (1870-1904) cotton spinners & manufacturers 800 looms shirtings also owned a mill. Opened in 1840 and at one stage employed 500 people. In 1915 had 1,299 looms plus homes for its workers nearby James Livesey (Cotton Mills) Ltd cotton manufacturers occupied the mills in (1930) then John Fish Ltd (1939-51) also Waterfall Peel Street Florence and Skew Bridge mills. They were closed in 1958 scrapping 540 looms but re-opened in 1959 with 308 automatic looms but weaving came to an end in December 1962. Used by Redmayne & Isherwood Ltd textile waste merchants before being demolished in October 1991

Ewood Mutual Improvement Society (1849) held in the Sunday school had a library of 350 volumes and one hundred and sixty members.                             president: Thomas Ratcliffe (1852); librarian: Frederick Munroe;

Ewood Park Football Ground home of Blackburn Rovers Football club opened 13/9/1890

Ewood Park Mill owned by James Ward & Sons Ltd (1902) cotton manufacturers then James Livesey (1912-15) cotton manufacturer

Ewood Print Works started by Adam Sanderson in 1780 on site of older corn mill. E J & J Haworth & Co. operating water powered carding mill in 1794. Bought by Turners of Mill Hill 1840 and built Ewood Mill.

Excelsior Works (1903) Clifton Street Richard Gornall (1903) spindle and Fly maker

Exchange                                                                             see Cotton Exchange

Exchange Arcade (1849) central building in Fleming Square added in 1849

Exchange Buildings (1870-1949) King William Street

Exchange Chambers (1878) King William Street

Exchange Dancing Academy (1930) (and cafe) Town Hall Street principals: Anthony and Grace Billington (1930);

Exchange Flags (1878-1930) King William Street

Exchange Picture Hall King William Street.(1912-2006) started to show films in 1908. After extensive refurbishment re-opened as the Majestic Cinema in 1924 Was sold in 1932 to ABC (Association of British Cinemas). Now the New Majestic in 1953 the Mayor opened the town's first 3D cinema. 1954 saw the opening of the first CinemaScope picture 'The Robe'. The following year the cinema was sold to the Essoldo company and re-named the same. Sold on to the Classic cinema group in 1972 Re-opened in 1976 as a 3 in 1 cinema Bought by Unit 4 cinemas in 1981 Extensive alterations in 1994 include new name of Apollo 5 Screen Cinema.

Exchange Street (1870) next to Town Hall King William Street Nos 3-17 was originally Town Hall Buildings then William Hoole Street

Excise Office Dun Horse Market Lane (1818); 45 Chapel Street (1870);                            

                                    officer: Paul Coates (1824) 15 Calendar Street; Thomas Dodd (1824) 30 Water Street;

                                    Francis Furness (1824) 6 James Street; Edward Griffiths (1824) 6 John Street;

                                    William McKenzie (1848); James Ivey (1870);

Exeter Street (1903-80) Grafton Street Nos 2-38

Express Blackburn first launched as a free newspaper on Friday 13th March 1992 by the Guardian-Manchester Evening News Group.

Face of Brow (Facit) (Fecitt Brow) (1836) off Accrington Road

Facit Field (1836)

Factory Hill (1832)

Fairburn House (1929) off Revidge Road

Fair Elms (1881) Preston New Road

Fairfield (1870) Ouzehead                                                                                    Mrs Elizabeth Fraser (1870)

Fairfield (1929) Preston Old Road

Fairfields Drive (1980)

Fairhaven Road (1958) 146 Manxman Road

Fairhope Court (1980)

Fairhurst Street (1929) Livesey Branch Road

Falcon Close (1980)

Falls of Lodore (1904) Waterfall in Queen's Park named after the one at Keswick

Falmouth club (1888)        Lower Cock Croft                             secretary Peter Mellor (1888)

Fancy Row (1889) Haslingden Road Whinny Heights handloom weavers cottages re-built 1899

Farbog Height Farm (1870) Lower Darwen                                          Thomas Holden (1870)

Fareham Street (1929-66) off Didsbury Street

Far Fields Farm (1930-66) Lower Darwen                                                         S D Dixon and H Gregson (1966)

Farfields Drive (1980)

Farm Croft Hey (1739) top of Duke's Brow

Farmers' Row (Ashleigh Road) (1820) 3 blocks of cottages Heys Lane built as farm labourers cottages but used as handloom weavers' cottages. 5 demolished leaving 23

Farrer Street (1903) Nos 8-42

Farther Craven Croft (1716-39)

Fawcett Close (1980)

Fawcett Street (1885-1959) 10 Essex Street 1 and 2-10

Fearnhurst (Fearnehirst) Farm (1528) Lower Darwen                                   John Worsley (1870) see Fernhurst

Feather Bed Farm (House) (1870-1958) tenement Parsonage Road          William Coar (1870)

Fecit(t) Brow (Facit Brow 1836) previously Face of Brow (1848) Accrington Road Nos 1 and 2-14 (1903) has a single weavers cottage

Fecitt Brow Evangelical Church

Fecitt Road (1903) Mollington Road Nos 1-9; 1-33

Federation of Horsemen and Amalgamated Association of Tramway and Vehicle Workers

35a Northgate (1897)                                                             secretary: G W Pickard (1897) James Hacking (1903-12)

5 Exchange Street                                                                                       secretary: Richard Grunshaw (1915)

Feilden Crescent (1947) Green Lane

Feilden House Church Street erected in 1728 as a town residence for Henry Feilden and Elizabeth his wife.

Demolished to build the Thwaites Arcade opened in 1883.

Feilden Place (1947) Feniscowles

Feilden Street (1870-1980) 3 Barton Street Nos 1-57 and 2-80

Feilden Street (United) Methodist Free Chapel (1889) demolished 1971

Feilden Street Mill Cotton Co. (1878) waste breakers 113 Chapel Street;

Feilden Terrace (1878-1929) Cherry Tree Nos 2-40

Feilding Street (1852) Chapel Street named after the Feilings of Witton Lords of the Manor

Fell Farm (1851) Pleasington

Fell Street (1851)

Feniscliffe (Faniscliffe) (1615) Preston Old Road

Feniscliffe Bridge (Ffaniscliffe Bridge 1724) re-constructed in 1930 at a cost of £3,670 this necessitated the removal of the memorial drinking fountain to the memory of Randle Francis Feilden

Feniscliffe Drive (1966)

Feniscliffe Farm (1881-1951) Livesey

Feniscliffe Lodge (1966) 105 Preston Old Road

Feniscowles (Fenischoles, Feniscoles, Feniscoules, Fenisols, Fenniscoles, Fennyyscholes, Fennyscoles, Feintcholes) (1276) Old Norse 'muddy huts'

Feniscowles C of E School (1903-15) mixed and infants

Feniscowles Council School (1924-51) mixed and infants

Feniscowles CP School (1992-99) Livesey Branch Road

Feniscowles Gardens                                                                               see Feniscowles Hall

Feniscowles New Hall nr.Pleasington built 1808 by Baronet Sir William Feilden who had purchased the land from Thomas Ainsworth. He lived there until his death in 1850. It was vacated in 1880 by the family because of pollution of the river it became a pleasure ground until it closed and was left to become a ruin. It was classed as delapidated in 1911                                                                          Sir William Feilden Bart (1808-50);

Feniscowles and District National Union of Printing, Bookbinding, and Paper Workers' Association 18/20 Lord Street West.

Feniscowles and Pleasington war memorial recreation ground Livesey Branch Road new sports pavilion built 1976 at a cost of £20,000 Junior Football teams since 1950s (3 pitches), cricket club, tennis club (3 courts) and crown green bowling teams

Feniscowles Lodge (1851)

Feniscowles (Mission) Methodist Church Preston Old Road formed as a nondenominational mission on 9th October 1898 in a terraced house on Preston Old Road moving to a purpose built Mission Hall on 1st march 1903 architect John Yates, Blackburn and costing £1,200. Became Wesleyan Methodists in 1930 and Methodist Union in 1932. Enlarged in 1965 by architects Campbell & Driver, Blackburn. Further extensions took place in 1987 at a cost of £30,000 opening on 5th September.

Feniscowles Mill (1851) Feniscowles owned by J & W Kitchen corn millers

Feniscowles Paper Mill Co. Ltd. (1878) paper makers                       secretary: William Henry Barnes (1878)

Feniscowles Parsonage (1851)

Feniscowles & Pleasington Social committee (1919) Memorial Ground Livesey Branch Road opened (1921)

Feniscowles School House (1851)

Ferguson Street (1903) 540 Bolton Road Nos 1-5 and 2-14

Fernbank (1878) 10 East Park Road

Fernbank (1878) 15/17 Duke's Brow

Ferguson Street (1980)

Fernhurst (Fearnest) Bottom (1724) Lower Yate above Moorgate Fold

Fernhurst Farm and Barn Bolton Road Ewood dating from 1700 were Grade 2 listed in 1974

                                                                                                            W Nightingale (1966)

Fernhurst Farm cottages (1700)                                                 E Laxton (1966)

Fernhurst Mill Ewood owned by Lawrence Cotton Ltd (1912-58) cotton manufacturer had 863 looms

Fernhurst Street (1903) Livesey Branch Road Livesey Nos 7-27

Fernhurst (Ffearnhurst) Yate (1724) on Heys Lane near where New Row now stands

Fern Lee (1903-41) Revidge Road

Fernlea Close (1980)

The Ferns (1878) 43 Preston New Road

Fernleigh (1903-58) Feniscowles

Fever Hospital – County Borough of Blackburn Park Lee Road Blackburn.

Designed by J B McCallum MICE – borough engineer / architect and opened 25th July 1894 by the mayor T Mitchell Eccles costing some £20,000

Field Street (1844) Grimshaw Park

Field Street (1903-80) Stephen Street / New Chapel Street Mill Hill Nos 2/4

Fielden Arms (1851)

Fielden Street (1929) Feniscowles

Fielding Crescent (1929) Green Lane

Fielding Street (1851-1959) 117 Chapel Street

Filey Crescent (1958) 33 Lytham Road

Filey Road (1966)

Finch Close (1980)

Fine Peter's (1898) old house in Tockholes

Finnington Finnington Lane Feniscowles was site of Blackburn's first Fever Isolation Hospital.

Finsbury Place (1912-80) 486 Bolton Road

Fir Mill Whalley Banks owned by R Whittaker Bros & Co Ltd (1912-15) cotton manufacturers later owned by Fir Mill (Blackburn) Ltd (1921) Blackburn Riverside Mill Co Ltd (1922-58) cotton manufacturers had 370 looms

Fir Street (1903) Baywood Street Nos 2-8

Fire Brigade Station

Lord Street (1826-1835) Engine Street (1835-65) site of old Town Hall Back Lane (1852)

21(31) Clayton Street (1867-December 1921) designed by F Smith Esq. the Borough Surveyor.

superintendent: William Smith (1837-66) Joseph Joy (1866-74) John Fox (1874-94) merged with police force (1882); chief constable: I G Lewis (1897-1909) inspector Samuel Simpson (1894-1921) William A Jones (1921-8) Alfred William Head (1928-39) J Wilkins (1939-53) divisional officer to chief fire officer (1948) Birtwistle (1953-68) William Williams (1968-74) county fire brigade J Worden (1974-82) R Watson (1982-91)

J G Russell (1992-4)

Fire Brigade Station Byrom Street opened on May 18th 1922 by James Kay deputy Mayor of Blackburn. Being of greek character in style it was designed by Walter Stirrup of Blackburn & Manchester. There were 33 firemen's dwellings and a drill yard with an 80ft tower used for hose drying and fire drill. National Fire Service “A" Division 29 Area. Lancashire Fire Brigade Station B71.

First Church of Christ Scientist Dukes Brow (1964) later purchased by Blackburn Grammar School

Fir Trees Drive (1980)

Fish Dock (Hillock) Railway Station behind Star & Garter Hotel where trains from Fleetwood arrived with fish for wholesale distribution.

Fish Field (1856) Audley estate with Five Acres 18 acres 2 roods 39 perches

Fish(e) Lane (1649-1888) Cardwell Place / 8 Astley Gate 9-37 and 8/10

Fish Lane Sawmills (1903) Crook & Hewitt (1903)

Fish Market opened next to Market House in 1872-88 12 fish slabs. Wholesale Market at Railway Station (1929-58) 15 proprietors

Fish Stones (1848) situated behind the Old Town Hall on the New Market Place

Fisher Street (1851) Union Street / Ainsworth Street

Fisher Street (1844-1941) 32 Whalley New Road

Fisher Street (1878) 2 Whalley Old Road

Fisher's Square (1844-1929) Whalley New Road / Birley Street Nos 23-29 & 93 & 103

Fisher Street mill (Twelve Apostles) Original founders included John, James and 2 Thomas's. Owned by Samuel Augustus Nichols (1878) William Graham and Co Ltd (1894) 430 looms dhooties and jacconettes. Nichol & Co cotton manufacturers with Canterbury Street mill followed by Greg Bros. & Co (1902) cotton manufacturers then by James (J & L) Ward & Sons Ltd (1912-30) cotton manufacturers

Fishmoor Drive (1980)

Fishmoor Reservoir Roman Road is the main holding reservoir for Blackburn the water having been gravity fed by pipeline from Stocks reservoir near Slaidburn. Fylde Water Board installed a new Filtration Plant in July 1964 capable of treating 9m gallons a day.

Fish Stones (1820) Fleming Square when an open market square prior to the building of the arcade in 1849

Five Acres (1856) Audley estate

Flash Gate (1844-1949) off Oozehead Lane Wensley Fold

Flash Gate (1841) Ramsgreave

Fleetwood Close (1980)

Fleming'(s) Square 8 Darwen Street (New Square – Gillies Map 1820) an open square used to house the fish-market built in 1824 the arcade was added in 1849. The Colonnade was an outside gallery supported by cast-iron pillars. The architect was William Hopwood and it was named after John Fleming who paid for it. Originally housed the Cotton Exchange before moving to the Town Hall He died at his residence in King Street 3rd October 1842 aged 65 years Within a year of its erection it was the venue of a balloon ascent by George Green. Nos 1-71 and 6-22

Fletcher Street (1878-1980) 1 Hamilton Street

Flimby Close (1980)

Flora a statue in Corporation Park was sculpted by Thomas Allen who came to Blackburn in 1870 this being one of his first works on arriving. It was presented by Thomas Hartley Fairhurst monumental mason in 1871 coming from the Bastwell Monumental Works. It stands in a secluded glade off the main walk.

Florence mill (The Average) Whalley New Road built in 1889 Slater Brothers (1891-4) 514 looms shirtings dhooties and jacconettes. Owned by Herbert Slater (1902-51) cotton manufacturer used by John Fish Ltd

(1939-51) cotton spinner & manufacturer along with Waterfall Peel Street Skew Bridge and Ewood mills. Later owned by William Birtwistle Allied Mills Ltd in 1958

Florence Street (1870-1980) 144 Whalley Old Road Nos 3-77 and 2-58

Foggs Enclosure (1739) Darwen Street/Mill Lane

Fold Banks (1775)

Fold Street (1870) Addison Street

Folly (1851-1949) Bastwell Road / Brookhouse Fields

The Folly (1903-58) Pleckgate Road also local name for Knowles Arms Hotel

Folly Fields (1851)

Folly Wells (1154) between James Street and Lark Hill

Follywell Street (1852-88) Watson's Buildings that part of Whalley Range between Charlotte Street and Randal Street at end of Anvil Street Nos 1-69 and 2-52

Food Control office St. Peter's Street (1951)

Football Teams in 1800s Christ Church Cob Wall Furthergate James Street Livesey United Park Road Queen's Own Rising Sun St Andrew's St George's St Mark's / Witton Blackburn Star amalgamated with James Street to form Blackburn Olympic Blue Star Red Star Silver Star White Star

Footbridges

Union Street Bridge over the Blakewater from Ainsworth Street to Water Street

Wesley Street (2003)

Fore Street (1903-80) Branch Road Lower Darwen Nos 19-73 and 2-36

Formby Close (1980)

Forrest Row (1851)

Forrest Street (1870-1980) Bancroft Street Nos 1-21 and 10/12

Fort Street (1851-1980) 123 Birley Street Nos 2-16

Fort Street Industrial Estate (1979)

Forward Teetotal Mission Spinners' Institute St. Peter's Street;

Fosse Close (1980)

Foster Yates and Thom Sports Club Cobden Buildings Cort Street (1947-51)            

secretary: T Heald (1947), J Bolton (1951)

Foundry Court (1870-81) Pilkington Street George Street

Foundry Hill (1824-1980) (90) 46 Salford

Foundry Hill mill operated by John Walsh (1828-9) owned by John Dugdale & Sons (1870-1912) cotton spinners & manufacturers with Higher Audley Street Paradise Cherry Tree Daisyfield Plantation and Bank mills 184,888 spindles 1970 looms shirtings dhooties and long cloths Eccles & Bury Ltd (1922)

Foundry Street (1852-1980) 8 Bank Top King Street

Fountain Dyeworks Carluke Street built in 1915 as a laundry by Premier Laundry Co. Ltd. converted to a dyeworks in 1918 by Fountains Yarn Dyers Ltd. Closed in 1950s

Fountain Free Brewery Co. Ltd. ale & porter brewers Mother Red Cap Accrington Road sold to Thwaites Brewery (1927) closed in 1927.

Manager & secretary (1903) Robert Briggs

Fountain Mill Accrington Road owned by Fountain Mill Co Ltd (1912-39) cotton manufacturers later owned by Smith & Nephew Textiles Ltd (1958) with Belle Vue mill jacconettes

Fountain Range (1903-41) 112 Livesey Branch Road/Wellington Road

Fountain View (1870) 7 West Park Road                                                           George Lewis (1870)

Fountains Avenue (1958) off Philips Road

Four Lane(s) End(s) (1786) originally Town Lane Ends before 1853 Nos 2-8

Four Lane Ends Congregational church built 1920s having been in being since before 1892 united with St. George's Presbyterian Church when closed in 1974, now called United Reformed Church. Extended and refurbished 1976.

Four Lane Ends (Council) School Board (1834-1903) Revidge Road mixed; (1912-51) mixed and infants. It originated with the students of Blackburn Academy about 1834. Taken over by James' Street Church 29th December 1842 although never belonging to the Church at James Street, was regularly supplied with Superintendent and Teachers. Official connections with the school came to an end 1884. The school was sold to the School Board for £500 in 1894 the amount being divided equally between the two churches. Demolished 1997

Four Lane Ends Farm (1870)                                                                  Henry Richmond (1870)

Four Lane Ends scout & guide HQ opened by Lady Gowan 1949

Fowlers Fold Farm (1851-1915) Horden Rake Broken Stone Road Livesey Robert Pollitt (1870)

Fowler Height Close (1980)

Fowler Height Farm (1851-1935) Bank Hey Livesey                          

W S W (1856); Mr Barton (1870); James Sharples (1870); G Whalley (1870); Lawrence Whalley (1870); Robert Cowburn (19 ); A Cowburn (1962);

Fox Delph a quarry situated between Cheltenham Street and Burlington Street.

Foxdale Road (1958) Park

Foxhall Gardens                                                                                         see California Gardens

Fox Hill (1872) St Paul's Parish

Fox House (1836) below Limefield

Fox House Farm (1870)                                                                James Dewhurst (1870)

Foxhouse Street (1885-1980) 46 Devonport Road Nos 1-17 and 2-18

Foxstones Crescent (1958) Andrews

Fox Street (1851-1966) 4 Nelson Street Nova Scotia  Nos 22-44

Fox Terrace (1878-1929) 142/168 Preston New Road

France Street (1795) off King Street

France's Buildings (1818)

France Street (1832-1959) 40 King Street Nos. 2 & 4 late 18th c. Grade 2 listed in 1986 Nos 1-7 and 2-14

Frances Street (1851) King William Street

Frances Ann Street (1851-68) Leyland Street

Francis Street (1878-1980) New Chapel Street Mill Hill Livesey Nos 9-55 and 20-46

Franciscan Convent & Orphanage Staveleigh 24 East Park Road (1930-93)

Franklin Road (1958) Spring Lane

Franklin Street (1903) Spring Lane Witton named after Arctic explorer

Freckleton Croft (Court) (1836-1980) 25 Northgate given misnomer of Cock Croft

Freckleton Street (1795-1980) 43 King Street part previously Cross Street Nos 3-33 and 2-78

Freckleton Street Baths the foundation stone was laid on 28th October 1865 by the mayor William Stones and opened on 11th July 1868 at a cost of £5,000. The building was of brick, with stone dressings and the internal arrangements included a large swimming bath 60 ft by 33 ft and 40 private baths. It was extended in 1884 bringing the total cost to £7,750. This included a second swimming bath 60 ft by 33 ft with 46 dressing rooms; 46 dressing rooms for the first class bath and 26 slipper baths for men and 10 for women.                                                                                                                                                                                                      manager: Harold Wilkinson (1947-64)

Frederick Row (1872-1980) 30 Furthergate / Cherry Street

Frederick Street (1851-1980) Furthergate 

Frederick Street (1870-1966) 10 Rockcliffe Street / 23 York Street Grimshaw park Nos 9/11 and 12-24

Free Church Girls' Guild (founded in Blackburn 1902) Leamington Road Baptist Church group founded 1903 becoming The Guild and in 1985 changed to Ladies' Night

Free Church of England (1969) Mill Hill

Free Pilgrim's Society (1838)

Free Public Library, Museum and Art Gallery Town Hall Street (1870) Library Street (1897) designed by Woodzell & Collcut (who designed the Imperial Institute South Kensington) was inaugurated on 23rd August 1860 and the buildings opened on 11th June 1874.

librarian & curator: David Geddes (1870-89) Richard Ashton (1897-1935) J Hindle FLA (1939-42) J W Thomas FLA (1946-51)

Freezeland Row (Friezland Row) (Billinge Side) (1815) 1/29 Billinge End Road handloom weavers' cottages

Freme Street (1899-1980) 124 Whalley Range Nos 7-23 and 12-22

French Road (1929-80) 338 Wensley Street

Frenchwood Street (1903) No 2

Friday Street & back (1836-1947) Shorrock Street / Clayton Street Grimshaw Park

Friends' Meeting House Snig Brook (1793-1818); Paradise Terrace King Street (1818) see Quakers

Friends of Blackburn Cemetery

Friends of Blackburn Museum (founded 1983-2016)

Friends of Corporation Park

Friends of Roe Lee Park

Frogmore Villa (1878) 94 Preston New Road

Front Richard Street (1851)

Fuel office, 83 Northgate & 6 Salford (1946-7); 4 King Street (1951)

Full View (1899-1980) King's Road Livesey

Furness Avenue (1958) Whalley Old Road

Furness Street (1870-1966) 116 Bank Top No 1

Further Gate (1750) (Foregate known locally as Foryale) is the continuation of road to Accrington after 172 Bottomgate. Nos 1-57 and 2-66

Furthergate British School (1878) mixed

Furthergate Chemical Works (1885)                             owners Hardman & Co Miles Platting Manchester

Furthergate Congregational Church (1874-1969) Artillery Street formed on 13th January 1874 foundation stone laid on 8th September 1877 opened 12th September 1878.

Furthergate Congregational School (1903) mixed and infants

Furthergate Council School (1912-51) junior mixed and infants

Furthergate Lamp Black Co. Albion Works (1878-81) lamp and vegetable black manufacturers Furthergate;

Furthergate Men's Institute 127/128 Bottomgate

Furthergate mill (1844) Accrington Road owned by Rodgett and Brierley (1852) cotton spinners and manufacturers then Edward Rodgett & Co (1870-8) cotton spinners & manufacturers later owned by John Baynes Ltd (1891-1930) cotton spinners & manufacturers with Cicely Bridge Knuzden 62,016 spindles 1919 loms shirtings and domestics

Furthergate School whose foundation stone was laid on Whit Monday 1850 involving a procession from James' Street Church The school was opened 22nd March 1851. The school was used as a chapel when a separate church was set up from the congregation of James' Street Independent Church on 8th January 1874.

Closed 1960

Further Wilworth Pleckgate Nos. 16-19 are loom weavers' cottages dating from 17th c. Grade 2 listed 1974

Further Wilworth Farm (1902-66) Pleckgate Road                  John Haydock (1878) J R Whitfield (1966)

The Gables (1929) Preston New Road

Gainsborough Street (1888 / 1903) / Avenue (1929) Harcourt Road Nos 1-11

Galgrave Rouse (sic)(1851)

Galligraves (Gallygreaves, Galley Greaves, Gallagreaves) (1750) later Galligreaves Bank Top between Griffin and Redlam

Galligreaves Community Centre (1996)

Galligreave's Hall behind Stansfeld Street Griffin built by John Pickup around 1816 and nick named 'Brandy Hall' because of his wine and spirit business in the town. Subsequently owned by Joseph Harrison JP until his death then sold by his son to Messrs. Dutton & Co. Became Galligreaves Conservative Club in April 1894 and opened by Lord Willoughby de Eresby.                                Henry Harrison, Joseph Harrison DL JP (1870)

Galligreaves Street (1870-1980) Harrison Street / Duckworth Street Nos 27-117 and 2-54

Galligreaves Way (1980)

Gallowhill House (1851) Pleasington

Gally Graves (1750) parcel of land owned by Elizabeth Nabb

Garden Place (1878-1930) Watson Street / Mill Hill Street Livesey

Garden of Remembrance in Corporation Park was formally opened on 10th July 1923 by Mrs M J Brown who had lost 4 sons in the Great War. The war memorial was unveiled on 2nd August 1924 having been moved from Blakey Moor. In 2003 it was refurbished for remembrance Sunday.

Garden Street (1832-44) St John's Place Ainsworth Street continuation of Richmond Terrace

Garden Street (1870) Turner Street

Garden Street (1870-1980) Bridgewater Street Bank Top / Wensley Fold Nos 1-79

Garden Street Mill owned by John Carr (1870) manufacturer then Smith Bowdler & Co (1878) cotton manufacturers; James Sharples & Co with Wharf Street mills 848 looms fine shirtings cambrics & jacconettes followed by Garden Street Mill Co Ltd (1902-30) cotton manufacturers for sale in 1936

Garden Terrace (1903-29) 300/358 Bolton Road Ewood

Garfield Terrace (1903-1929) 180 Revidge Road

Gargreaves (1851) Pleasington

Garnett Street (1885-1966) Anvil Street Nos 1-21 and 4-24

Garsden Avenue (1966)

Gas                                                                                                                

​The Blackburn Gaslight & Coke Company Jubilee Street was established in 1818. Held their early meetings at the Hotel King Street then in the committee room at the Gas works The original works were in Darwen Street with branches at Addison Street (1870-1946) Wensley Fold and Grimshaw Park Road. A gasometer was situated at Lark Hill (1848). Purchased by Blackburn Corporation in 1878 The company's first meeting was held 19th July 1838 in Jubilee Street. Gas & Water Offices (1897-1900) Municipal Buildings

President: William Feilden, secretary: Dixon Robinson, clerk of the company: Thomas Wilson.

engineer: George Wrigley (1828-9); Samuel R Ogden (1878-1912); A Morton Fyffe AEA MIME (1915-16); J W McLusky; G P Mitchell (1922-30); John D Ashworth MIMechE MinstGE (1939-47);

engineer & manager: Orlando Brothers (1852-70); secretary: William Thompson (1878-81);

Office: Darwen Street (1878);

A new gas works was opened at Greenbank (1922-58) on 23 March 1922 by the chairman of the Gas Committee Councillor Ernest Hamer JP

Addison Street works (1930-60s);

Blackburn Corporation Gas Works department Municipal Buildings Victoria Street (1881-9); Town Hall (1924-46); showrooms 38 King William Street (1930-47);

Gas Street (1852) Wensley Fold

Gas Street Mill (Puff and Dart) (1848) Addison Street opposite gas works

Gate Street (1870-1980) 44 Copy Nook Nos 1-9

Gate Street Mill (1844) owned by Hopwood Bros (1878) cotton manufacturers. E & G Hindle (1951) cotton spinners and manufacturers.

Gawthorpe (1851) off Duke's Brow

Gawthorpe Terrace (1872)

Gawthorpe View (1870-1958) Queen's Place Duke's Brow              John Stones (1870)

Gawthorpe Villas (1870-1930) 70/76 Duke's Brow 

Geddes Street (1929) Cherry Tree named after Private Robert Geddes killed on the Somme 1916

General Post Office Darwen Street                                                                     see Post Office

George Street & back (1824-1980) 85 Darwen Street No 3

George Street East (1851-1980) 51 Eanam

George Street Mill taken over by Col Robert Raynsford Jackson after the partnership with William Throp had been dissolved in 1835. R H Bateson Ltd (1902) cotton manufacturers

George Street West (1851-1980) 33 Leyland Street Nos 2-56

George Street West (Blakewater) Foundry owned by Joseph Bleasdale & Co (1870) iron & brass founders and roller makers. John Lang (1903)

(Great) George Street West Mill King Street built in 1823 by William Feilden and brothers Henry and John. Enlarged in 1828-30 having removed all the handlooms in 1826 In 1828 the business became Feilden, Throp and Towneley. The company owned 92 houses, a school and a mechanics' club. There were 194 weavers. Owned by R R Jackson & Brothers (1870) cotton spinners & manufacturers followed by R H Bateson (1903-22) cotton manufacturers and James Livesey (1912) cotton manufacturers Harley Street Mill Co Ltd (1922) then James Dewhurst Ltd (1930) cotton manufacturers

Geraldine Street (1903-26) now Marlton Road Nos 1-13 and 2-74

Gerrard's Fold (1838-81) Blakey Moor

Gertrude Street (1929) 47 London Road

Gib Lane (1848) 387 Livesey Branch Road

Gibraltar Street (1878) 89 Duke's Brow Nos 1-11 and 4-34

The Gilbert & Sullivan Society Blackburn Branch (founded 1963) first performance was The Gondoliers produced by Ruth Prest (2/1964) at the Community Theatre Troy Street until (1979) before moving to the Civic Theatre Oswaldtwistle. Since 2004 has been based at Thwaites Empire Theatre

Gillibrand's Farm (1851) Livesey

Gillies Street (1929-80) off Haslingden Road

Girl Guides' Association 15 Preston New Road (1915-39); Victoria Street (8/4/1960-  )

Girls' Charity School Thunder Alley (Town Hall Street) endowed by William Leyland (1765) built and opened in 1764 with a house for the mistress adjoining, it was demolished in July 1928.                                                                                                   mistress: Elizabeth Parkins (1828-9); Miss Susannah Feilden (1858-81)

Girls' Friendly Society King William Street (1903); 21 Preston New Road (1912-15);

Girls' High School                                                                          see Blackburn Girls' High School

Gisburn Place (1966)

Gisburn Street (1929-58) off Rawstorne Street

Gladstone's Memorial Statue (Rt. Hon. William Ewart Gladstone) unveiled by Lord Aberdeen on the Boulevard on 4th November 1899 being moved in September 1955 to the area outside the old Technical College. In 1983 it was again moved to its present site at the junction of Northgate and New Market Street. The 10 ft high white Italian marble statue, standing on a pedestal of red Peterhead granite, cost £3,000 when unveiled by the Earl of Aberdeen watched by a crowd of 30,000 people. Sculpted by Mr. J Adams Acton of London was paid for by public subscription. In 1983 was relocated again to Northgate facing the Public Halls.

Gladstone mill St. Peter Street owned by Duckworth & Eddleston 217 looms jacconettes shirtings handkerchiefs scarves printers etc and at Waterloo mill Clitheroe 436 looms. Leach & Bury cotton manufacturers (1894) James Halliwell & Co (1902) cotton manufacturers

Gladstone Reform Club (1870) Quarry Street                                      see Reform Clubs

Gladstone Street (1959-80) Bruce Street                                                           previously Cobden Street

Gladstone Terrace (1878-1980) 9 Wellington Terrace Cherry Tree

Glasson Close (1980)

Glenbrook Close (1980)

Glencoe Place (1903-30) East Park Road

Glendene (1930) Adelaide Terrace

Gleneagles Court (1980)

Glenluce Crescent (1959) Shadsworth

Glenluce Road (1966)

Glenville (1929) 218 Livesey Branch Road

Gloucester Road (1959) Whitebirk Road

The Goit (1739) a millstream in Canterbury Street area providing water for the Mill at Mill Field

Goit Street (1903-80) Stakes Hall Place

Golden Lion Hotel Church Street.                                                                       closed June 1958 and demolished .

Golden Palms Dance Hall                                                                                    see Olympia Cinema

Goldhey Street (1903-80) 20 Sour Milk Hall Lane / 20 Beechwood Road Nos 1-65 and 2-54

Goodshaw Avenue (1980)

Goodshaw Close (1980)

Goodshaw Fold (1796)

The Good Shepherd RC Church (1968-92) Northfield Road / Earl Street

Good Templars' Mission Hall (Star of Blackburn Lodge) New Market Street West (1878-81); 11 Exchange Street (1915);

Gordon Mill Lower Hollin Bank Street owned by Robinson, Seed & Co Ltd (1958) had 136 looms

Gordonstoun Place (1980)

Gordon Terrace (1903-30) 39 Shear Brow Nos 39/41

Gordon Villas (1903-29) Infirmary Road

Gorse Bridge (1878) 81 Burnley Road

Gorse Bridge mill nr Gorse Street built by John Dean in 1850 The shed was enlarged in 1870 and 1882 with a total of 570 looms. Aaron Sharples Bury JP owned the mill in (1878) then in the 1880s the proprietors were W H Almond & Co (1880-1915) with Greenlow Mill had 1051 looms. Later Gorse Bridge Mill Co Ltd (1922-59) who manufactured until 1959 Later Reconditioned Looms Ltd operated from the building

Gorse Road (1903) off Stanley Preston New Road 13 houses (1903)

Gorse Street (1903-80) 89 Burnley Road Nos 18/20

Gorse Street Bridge a ferro concrete construction opened in 1911.

Gospel Halls in Victoria Street (1889-1964), Oxford Street, Ordnance Street and New Wellington Street (1930) Livesey

Gowan Bank (1870-1929) East Park Road                                                        Henry John Robinson (1870)

Gowan Brae (1888-1929) 22 East Park Road

GPO Telephone and Engineering department

sectional engineer's office, Ainsworth street (1930); Richmond Terrace (1942-58)

GPO Telephone Sales department Law Court Chambers Northgate (1946-51)

14 East Park Road (1951)

Grace Street (1903-80) 136 Whalley Range Nos 2-16

Grafton Street (1929-80) 32 Wilson Street

Grammar and Song School founded 1514 replacing an earlier Chantry School

Grammar School Freckleton Street (1878). Previously, from its inception, in the parish church grounds Received its charter in 1567 and known as the Queen Elizabeth Grammar School. It moved to West Park Road in 1884. Has grown steadily on this site thanks to many handsome legacies and was grant aided by the Corporation of the County Borough of Blackburn for many years where scholarships were tenable at the school, by boys from elementary schools within the borough. The school is represented on the headmasters' conference and is thus recognised as a public school. It is now co-educational. Internal scholarships are awarded such as the 'John Lund' and 'John Cotton Memorial' scholarships with the 'Irving' and 'Tattersall' tenable at Oxford and Cambridge and many more tenable at various universities. In 1939 the number of boys attending was 630. Girls admitted at age of 11 for first time from September 2001 already in the sixth form for some years.

Headmaster: Thomas Ainsworth MA (1878-89) F Allcroft MA (1897-1900) G A Stocks M A (1912-15) A Holden MA. B Sc JP (1924-42) N S T Benson (1948-56) B Kemball-Cook (1965) D J Coulson (1967-77) P F Johnston MA B Litt (1978-94) Dr D Hempsall (1995-2002)

Grand Theatre Jubilee Street (1906-1956) from 1906 to 1928 was the New Prince's Theatre. In 1930 became a talkie cinema but reverted to variety theatre in 1932.          Will Murray & Sons (Theatres) Ltd. took over in September 1934. Closed in 1956 and was demolished in July 1958.

manager: A Horner (1889); proprietor: E H Page (1903-15); man. dir: Roy L Murray (1955);

The Grange (1870) Whalley Road Wilpshire                                         William Pilkington (1870)

Grange Mill Witton built in 1906 owned by Birtwistle & Fielding Ltd (1912-58) cotton manufacturers had 716 looms in 1958

Grange Road (1980)

Grange Street (1906-1966) Grant Street Witton

Granny's Farm (1902-49) Shadsworth Road opposite Shadsworth Hall just below North Road

Grant Road (1980)

Grant Street (1929-66) 67 Preston Old Road Witton

Grantham Street (1903) 46 New Chapel Street Mill Hill Nos 7-35

Granville Place (1881-1929) 51 New Wellington Street Livesey

Granville Road (1903) 41 Duke's Brow named after victorian statesman Nos 1-87 and 2-94

Granville Street (1878-1966) Cherry Tree

Granville Terrace (1878) 41 Duke's Brow                                                          see Granville Road

Grasmere Avenue (1966)

Grasmere Place (1907-129) Preston Old Road Redlam named after Lake District

Gray's Square (1851-1929) 82 Chapel Street

Great Bolton Street (1851-1980) 136 Darwen Street Islington

Great Central Railway Co. gen. enquiry office 1 Richmond Terrace (1903-12); 10 Cort Street (1915)

                                                                                    Agent: James Morris (1903); Alfred Holden (1912-15)

Great Croft (1835) Whitebirk estate

Great Harwood junction at Greenbank where the rail line to Padiham left the Rishton line

Great Lancashire Exhibition June 1936 at Blackburn

Great Low off Haslingden Road Guide became Louis William Street

Great Maudsley Hey (1716-1856) Audley estate with Little Maudsley 15 acres 2 roods 3 perches

Great Northern Railway Co. inquiry office 10 Town Hall Street (1903); 9 Railway Road (1912-15);

                                                                                                                        Agent: J W King (1903-15)

Great Peel (1852) Nab Lane

Great Tackett (1716-39) Northgate/King William Street

Greaves Street & back (1851-1959) 65 Montague Street Nos 23-91 and 8-58       Oakenhurst Road (1964)

Greaves Street Mill built by Henry Aspden timber merchant about (1868) owned by Barton & Walsh cotton manufacturers (1872-9) extended  to 430 looms with 160 employees weaving jaconnettes. Then Benjamin Barton with 428 looms jacconettes (1891) second bankruptcy in 1892 closing mill. Horrocks Sons & Rawson (1898) wholesale clothing manufacturers followed by Banister Bros. & Moore Ltd (1902) cotton manufacturers later by John Mather & Sons Ltd (1912-15) cotton manufacturers. PW Parker Ltd formed 1917 to run mill. Weaving ended 1926 later run by textile machinists. Demolished in 1960s

Green Bank (1837-1930) Stanley Terrace Furthergate behind where Tesco's is to-day

Green Bank Close (1980)

Greenbank Foundry owned by Henry Livesey Ltd (1870-94) machinist ironfounders loom makers shuttle bobbin and picker makers & general mill furnisher cotton manufacturers

Green Bank Hall (1837-52) between Harwood Street and canal

Greenbank Iron Works owned by Henry Livesey (Blackburn) Ltd (1903-58) loom manufacturers (automatic pirn changing loom) mill furnishers established in 1863.

Greenbank mill (Cobden Street) Gladstone Street built in 1863 as a co-operative it was taken over by J Porter later to be James & John A Porter Ltd (1865-closed 1979) had 144 Northrop looms in (1887) had 520 looms dhooties shirtings & jacconettes

Green Bank mill (The Mousetrap) Harwood Street built by Edward Briggs & Co (1837-94) cotton manufacturers contained 696 looms jacconettes mulls dhooties and madapollams employing 290 people also Bridge End and Perseverance mills Padiham. Owned by James Spencer & Co (1970) manufacturers then Thomas Walley (1978) cotton manufacturer Used by Parker & Hasler (1902) cotton manufacturers then by Edward Briggs & Co until it closed in 1929 and was demolished in 1957.

Greenbank Terrace (1881-1980) Duchess Street Lower Darwen Nos 53-119

Greenbank Terrace (1929-66) 120 Harwood Street

Greenfield Place (1881-1958) 110 Redlam Brow

Greenfield Primitive Methodist church Greenfield Street Witton (founded 1895)

Greenfield Street (1878-1966) 7 Redlam Brow Witton

Greenfield View (1951) 22 Stopes Brow Lower Darwen

Green Gate (1872) St Thomas'

Green Gown (1767) Lane Ends weavers' cottages off Pleckgate Road below Carham Road

                                                                                                                        Rev. John Nicklin (1870)

Green Head (1843-72) St Michael's Parish Little Harwood

Green Head Avenue (1959) Benson Street

Green Head Farm (1870-1958) 59 acres when sold by owner Percy Ashton (1911) Little Harwood     

                                                                                                            Ralph Leeming (1870) W E Moon (1911)

Green Head Lane (1966)

Green Head Road (1929) Benson Street

Greenhurst Close (1980)

Greenhurst Farm (1902-58) Lower Darwen

Green Lane (1848) Livesey branch Road

Green Lane Community Centre (1996)

Green Lane Estate built from 1920. First houses opened by Alderman Fielding 10/11/1920.

Greenlow Mill (The Lobby) (Owd Gants) Harwood Street built in 1840 was worked in 1857 by J & T Walmsley. The shed was rebuilt in 1882 by W H Almond. With Gorse Bridge Mill it had 1051 looms. It had 458 looms in 1903 owned by W H Almond & Co (1882-1922) later tenants were the Greenlow Mill Co Ltd

(1930-59) cotton manufacturers who continued production until 1959. It re-opened in 1963 as a manufacturer of tables and kitchen furniture by L Phillipson Ltd  but closed in the 1990s

Green Park Ewood has an area of 5 acres containing children's playground and 2 (2 added later) bowling greens pavilion footbridge and children's playground being opened on 30 May 1923.

Green Row (1851-1980) Heys Lane Bank Hey handloom weavers' cottages

Green Street (1929-66) Sydney Street

Greenside Avenue (1959) Andrews

Green Thorn Farm (1939)

Gregson Court (1851)

Gregson Lane & back (1836-1980) 30 Nab Lane Snigbrook

Gretna Road (1929) Crystal Terrace Whalley New Road

Gretna Walk (1980)

Greyhound Stadium Hill Street closed 1984. Demolished to allow Tesco to build superstore on site the following year. First meeting in 1933.

Greystoke Avenue (1980)

Griffin Court (1980)

Griffin Lodge Witton early 19c The entrance and stone setts of roadway were Grade 2 listed in 1974 and the building was Grade 2 listed in 1986. Home of the Dugdales Was the centre for the County Museum services restoration department                            Adam Dugdale, James B Dugdale, Thomas Dugdale DL JP (1870);

Griffin mills (Physic) Witton owned by Adam Dugdale (1893) of Thomas Dugdale Brother & Co (1870-1930) cotton spinners & manufacturers 99,000 spindles 1768 looms shirtings. Sold by private treaty in 1937 half was used for mushroom growing and the other half for chemicals.

Griffin (CEJP) National School Witton (1878-81) boys, girls and infants opened 18th February 1871

            see Griffin Park CP School

Griffin Park CP School (1972-99) Cavendish Place opened February 1972 replacing Bank Top CP and Griffin CE Schools

Griffin Park Mill Hill in grounds of Griffin Lodge (home of the Dugdales) of 9 acres acquired by Blackburn Corporation in 1937

Opened as a public park including children's playground by Councillor Walter Tempest chairman of the parks committee on 17th September 1937

Griffin Park football ground

Griffin Street (1878-1980) 85 Bank Top Witton Nos 1-115 and 38-126

Griffin Street Wesleyan Methodist (Free) Church (1882-1969) Witton       see Wesleyan Chapel

Closed and demolished

Grime's Yard (1870-1949) 22 Water Street

Grimshaw (Grimeshawe) (1625)

Grimshaw Park (Road) (1788) (Pottery Hill) Park Road named after the Grimshaws of Eccleshill and Clayton le Dale        Nos 1-69 and 2-224

Grimshaw Park Co-operative Society Ltd. grocers, drapers, butchers, bakers, confectioners, boot, shoe and clog makers, milliners and tailors. Founded in 1860 Office: 3 Proctor Street, central store: 10 York Street.

Branches: 69 Bolton Road; 20 Park Road; 32 Canterbury Street; 7 Ivy Street; 152 Hollin Bank; Registered Office: 62 Grimshaw Park; Mosley Street; Belthorn; 84 Lower Audley Street; Guide; Pritchard Street; Havelock Street; Hamilton Street; Wellington Street; Mill Hill Street; Bower House Fold; Ewood;

General manager and secretary: George Whiteside FCIS (1903-20)

Grimshaw Park Dyeworks erected in 1922 by Blackburn Yarn Dyers on site of former brickworks.

Grimshaw Park Church of England Sunday School (1826) stood on the site of Christ Church being opened March 1826 and was demolished in 1856 to prepare the site of the building of the church

Grimshaw Park Lane section of Grimshaw Park below canal bridge

Grimshaw Park Mill (1826) owner John Houghton

Grimshaw Park National Schools opened Christmas Day 1857 became Christ Church Schools on 31st January 1870

Grimshaw Park Working Men's Conservative Club (1870) 26 Grimshaw Park

Grindleton Road (1980)

Grindleton Street (1929-66) 191 Downham Street

Grisedale Avenue (1980)

Grosvenor Way (1980)

Grove Street (1885-1980) 71 Mosley Street Nos 1-3 and 2-4

Guardian Society for the Protection of Trade 7 Lord Street West (1951)

                                                                                                                 secretaries: E B Haworth & Nuttall sols

Guardians of the Blackburn Union (Guardians of the Poor) Union Offices (1889) Fish Lane

                                                                                                                        see Blackburn Union

Guide (1881) 325 Haslingden Road

Guide Industrial Co-operative Society (1881) grocers etc                secretary: Caleb Enwistle (1881)

                                                                                                                        secretary: Caleb Enwistle.

Guide Board School demolished 1997

Guide School C of E Church, Lower Darwen

Guide Square (1951-67) off Blackamoor Road

Guide Temperence Band (1880-1)

Gumpstey Street (1847-1980) Workhouse Lane Grimshaw Park

Gurney Street (1929-80) Broomfield Place No 2

Gymnasium & Athletic Club, 17/19 St. Peter Street (1930)                hon. sec. J B Bertwistle (1930)

Hacking Court (1872) St John's Parish

Hacking House (1843-1938) Preston New Road Mellor

Hacking Street (1836)

Hacking Street (1958-66) off 29 Kemp Street Grimshaw Park reputedly the smallest street in the borough at only 14 "photographic" paces long

Hadlock Street (1966) No 36

Haggs Hall Farm (1825-1996) Ramsgreave                                                      James Roberts (1870)

Hall Croft Farm (1902-15)

Hall Farm (1939-42)

Hall House Farm (1930)

Halliwell Fold Farm (1902-15) Tockholes

(All) Hallows Spring (Well)                                                                                   see All Hallows Well

(Upper & Lower) Hallows (Alleys Spring) (1716) adjacent to Hallows Spring owned by the Church commissioners

Hallow Street (1824-52) Foundry Hill

Hall Street (1878-1980) 171 Bolton Road Nos 1 & 41-75 and 42-68

Hall Street bridge constructed in 1928 at a cost of £1,700

Hall Street Mill owned by L Thompson & Son (1922) Hall Street Mill Co Ltd (1939) cotton manufacturers

Halstone Lee (Halstonleigh) Farm (1870-1902) Little Harwood                     Mrs Jane Thistlethwaite (1870)

Hamer Avenue (1929) Whitebirk Road

Hamilton Street (1878) 36 Lower Hollin Bank Street Nos 1-121 and 4-52

Hamlet Close (1980)

Hamlet Street (1868-1966) 28 Shakespere Street

Hampton Court (1881-1951) Cherry Tree

Hampton Terrace (1929) 33 Gladstone Terrace

Hancock Street (1878-1980) 67 Bank Top Nos 3-169 and 2-134 to be bulldozed 2012

Handel's Terrace (1878-1929) 1 Sarah Ellen Street / Devonport Road

Handicraft Centre 67 Moorgate Street Mill Hill (1924-51)

Hanging Croft was on the west corner of the Old Square near Sandy Lane

Hanging Ditch (1836-43) Grimshaw Park

Hanley Street (1851)

Hannah Street (1851-1966) 17 Smithies Street / Noblett Street / Primrose Bank

Hannah Terrace (1870-1929) 102 Montague Street / Duke's Brow

Hanson Street (1818-1966) 30 Bradshaw Street / Montague Street Nos 3-19 and 4-18

Harcourt Road (1929) 23 Granville Road

Harcourt Street (1903) 23 Granville Road Nos 1-51

Harden's Farm (1878) Livesey                                                                 see Horden

Hardman's Law Farm (1881)

Hardman Street (1903-80) 80 Stansfeld Street Nos 1-13 and 2-16 to be bulldozed 2012

Hardy Street (1878-1980) Pemberton Street nr Cemetery Nos 2-20

Harebell Close (1980)

Hare Clough Close (1980)

Hareden Brook Close (1980)

Hargreaves' Court (1870-81) Hargreaves Lane Bolton Road

Hargreaves' Lane and Square (1851-80) High Street / 70 Bolton Road

Hargreaves Place (1851)

Hargreaves Street (1789)

Harley Street & back (1832-1966) 31 Leyland Street St. Peter's

Harley Street mill (1824) George Street West used by Fielden, Throp & Townley (1824-8) cotton spinners (by power) then R Raynsford Jackson & Brother (1878) cotton spinners & manufacturers followed by James Livesey (1887-1912) cotton manufacturers 547 looms shirtings etc. then Harley Street Mill Co Ltd (1915) cotton manufacturers followed by Industrial Manufacturing Co (Baxenden) Ltd (1930) cotton manufacturers then English Textilose Manufacturing Co Ltd (1951).

Harold Street (1870) Whalley Range

Harrier Drive (1980)

Harrington Gardens (built1901) 599 Bolton Road

Harris Yard (1872) St Peter's Parish

Harrison Boys' Gymnasium 48 Hamilton Street (1908-2002) Opened in 1908 by Henry Harrison JP costing £8,000 and given to the town under a trusteeship. Consisted of gymnasium room with 4 dressing suites for each sex adults and juniors.

chief instructor: Samuel Stephenson (1912-30) secretary H Knowles (1930); A S Cowell (1935)

Harrison Girls' Institute Lower Hollin Bridge Street opened 13/9/1911-2002 by Hon. Maud A Stanley   

At a cost of about £4,000. Equipped for training girls in cookery, domestic science, dressmaking etc. 2 hard tennis courts and a badminton court laid in 1922 and handed as a gift to the trustees by Mrs Henry Harrison.

principal: Miss Mabel Paget Moffatt BA (1924-38) Miss L Bolton-King (1938-4/1957)

Mrs G M Osborne (1/1958-61)

Harrison Street (1836-1980) Bolton Road named after Joseph Harrison

Harrison Street (1836) 7 Whalley Banks Nos 17-41 and 8-50

Harrison Street Wesleyan (Free) School Chapel erected in 1864 costing £1,000. Later became the school buildings only. Closed and demolished

Harrison's Court (1872) All Saints Parish

Harrison's Crossing (1881) Captain Nolan Street Whalley Banks

Harrison's Yard (1870) Friday Street

Harrison's Yard (1870-1958) 56 Syke Street off Eanam

Harrow Drive (1966)

Hart's Chambers (1903-49) 2 Victoria Street

Hart Street (1878-1980) Higher Audley Street / 6 Cicely Street Nos 12-16

Hartley Street (1903-80) Kendal Street Nos 2-10

Harwood Court (1851-1930) 40 Penny Street

Harwood Fold (1851) Pleasington

Harwood Industrial Industrial Estate (built during 1979) comprising 2 nursery blocks of 5 factory units each having a floor area of 140 sq m approx.

Harwood Road (1966)

Harwood Street (1870-1980) Stanley Street / 129 Bottomgate Nos 1-189 and 14-198

Harwood Street Wesleyan (Free) Methodist Chapel the foundation stone was laid on 3 April 1874 and opened July 1965 costing £3,300 and seating 650 persons. The last services were held in December 1958. Sold to Bayliss Kenton Installations Ltd for £1,700 it was used until it was demolished in August 2002.

Haslingden Road (1870) 27 Grimshaw Park Nos 5-127 and 2-126              was Pot House Lane

Much demolished 1971

Haslingden Road (1903) Guide Nos 287-417 and 300-424

Haslingden Road Wesleyan Chapel (1885-1969) built in 1885 it sat 250 persons.

Hastingley (1872) St Michael's Parish

Hastings Close (1980)

Haston Lee (Harstonley, Harstonlee, Harstonleigh, Harstonly, Harthstonelee) (1609) Hartanesleigh (1357)

Haston Lee Avenue (1929) off Brownhill Road

Haston Lee Mill Emerald Street owned by Herbert Slater (1915-22) later owned by John Bury & Co (1930) cotton manufacturers followed by Vale Cotton Manufacturing Co Ltd (1939-58) who had 646 looms

Hastonlee Farm (1911-1929) 44acres when sold (1911)                                James Ellison & Son (1911)

Haudley (Hadley, Hawdley, Hordley) (1640)                                          see Audley

Havelock Bohemian Club Hollin Street (1903-25)

                                                                                                                  secretary: Thomas Tipping (1909-12)

Havelock Bridge with its approaches cost £3,090

Havelock Industrious Bees Co-operative Society Ltd. grocers, drapers etc.

54/56 Havelock Street (1878-1915) Blackburn.                                      secretary: H E Ainsworth (1903)

Branches: 35 Hamilton Street (1888-1915), 12 Mill Hill Street (1903-1915), 35 New Wellington Street

(1903-15), Bowerhouse Fold (1903), 88 Stansfeld Street (1886-1915);

Taken over or merged with Grimshaw Park Co-operative (1915) although Stansfeld Street is listed as Blackburn Co-operative (1915)

Havelock Iron Works (1894) William Walsh & Sons iron & brass founders (1894-1903)

Havelock Mill Duke Street owned by Richard Greenwood (1870-8 exors) William Greenwood (1887-91) cotton manufacturers 470 looms dhooties dobbies & sateen stripes.

Havelock mill Stancliffe Street owned by James Beads (1878) cotton manufacturer; Francis Howarth (1887) 640 looms shirtings mulls & jacconetts. Thomas Slater & Co cotton manufacturers (1894) Marriages Ltd (1902) cotton manufacturers; followed by T & A Holden Ltd (1912-58) cotton manufacturers who had 618 looms

Havelock Street (1870-1980) 99 Taylor Street named after Major-General Sir Henry Havelock who relieved Lucknow India in 1857 during the Indian Mutiny. Nos 1-99 and 2-112

Hawarden Terrace (1903-30) Penzance Street Mill Hill

Hawdley (1750)                                                                                           see Audley

Hawkhead Street (1980)

Hawkhurst (1929) 16 Shear Bank Road

Hawkins Street (1929-1980)) Queen Victoria Street

Hawkshaw Bank(s) Farm (1870-1942) right off Lammack Road below Four Land Ends

                                 Thomas (1870) & William Pomfret (1870-8)

Hawkshaw Bank Road (1980)

Hawkshead Street (1903) West View Witton Nos 1-23 and 2-36

Hawley Street (1899) Delph Lane

Haworth Square (1818-52) Church Street

Haworth's Court and Square (1872-1949) 64 Penny Street

Haworth Street (1870-1980) 126 Bank Top Nos 7 and 2-16

Haworth Street Independent School (1878) Bank Top

Hawthorn Street (1929) 263 Whalley New Road

Hawthorn Villa (1878-1930) 39/41 Duke's Brow

Hawthorne Street Primitive Methodist Chapel (1920-69)

Hawthorns C Junior School (1992-99) St James' Road

Haydn Terrace (1878-1930) 154 Shear Brow

Haydock Fold (1851) Under Billinge Pleasington

Haydock Street (1878-1980) 3 Pemberton Street nr Cemetery Nos 1 & 7

Haydn Terrace (1878-1929) 163 Shear Brow

Haygarth Street (1903-66) Hutton Street Nos 2-24

Hazel Bank (1881) Edgware Road / 37 Alexandra Road Nos 2-6

Hazel Close (1980)

Hazel Grove (1951) Avandale Avenue

Hazel Street (1869-1966) 18 Wensley Street Nos 3-71 and 32 & 80

Hazelwood Close (1980)

Health Centres

Audley Longton Close (1994); Bangor Street; Bentham Road Mill Hill (1994); Larkhill Mount Pleasant (1994); Little Harwood Plane Tree Road (1994); Montague Oakenhurst Road (1994); Roman Road Fishmoor Drive (1994);

Health Department Day Nursery 7-11 St. Alban's Place (1951)

Heaning Avenue (1958) Bank Lane

Heaps Farm (1915) Ramsgreave                                                             see Barker Lane Farm

Hearnhirst Bottom (1724) later Fernhurst Ewood

Heathfield Park (1980)

Heathfield Preparatory School (1992) Meins Road part of Westholme school

Heatley Close (1980)

Heatley Street (1878-1966) 3 Dickinson Street Nos 1-35 and 6-40

Heaton Land (1750)

Heaton Street (1795) 33 King Street Nos 5 & & and 2-12

Heber Villa (1870-1929) 87/89 Preston New Road                               Charles Braybrook, Capt. W H Flynn (1870)

Hedge Nook Farm (1902-49) Shadsworth

Heights Farm and house (1872) St Michael's Parish

Heightside Farm (1870) Lower Darwen                                                 Richard Turner (1870)

Helen Street (1878-1980) Lower Audley Street / Windham Street Nos 19-89 and 20-90

Hendry Lane Fearnhurst (1990s)

Henrietta Street (1878-80) 32 Arthur Street Nos 24 & 56-66

Henry Street (1818-1966) 21 Union Street Ainsworth Street Nos 2-26 and 1

Henry Whalley Street (1903-80) Primrose Hill Mill Hill Nos 1-47

Herbert Street (1903-80) 77 Hamilton Street Nos 33-51 and 34

Herbert Terrace (1881-1929) 37 Moorgate Street Livesey

Hereford Road (1958) Devon Road

Herschall Street (1903-80) off Archibald Street Mill Hill Nos 1-15

Hertford Street (1903-80) 9 Parkinson Street Mill Hill Nos 1-21 and 2-24

Heyes (1851) Livesey

The Heyes (1890) Heys Lane Livesey

Heyes Cottages (1956-8) St. Andrew's Ward demolished

Heyes (Heys) Gate Farm (1848-1958) (Brown Calf Farm) Heys Lane Livesey demolished

Hey(e)s Farm (1900-58) Livesey demolished

Heyes Street (1903-66) 47 Artillery Street Nos 1-23 and 4-24

Hey(e)s Lane (1903) 125 Livesey Branch Road Livesey 10 dwellings

Heyhurst Road (1966)

Heys Close (1980)

Heys Lane (1942)

Heys Lane Farm (1942)

Heysham Crescent (1958) Lytham Road

Heyside Farm (1870) Livesey                                                                   William Greaves (1870)

Heywood Entry (1851)

Heywoods Terrace (1852-1929) 85 Bank Top

Hibbert Square (1872) St Mark's Parish

Hickory Street (1903-80) Cedar Street Nos 1-39 and 6-68

Highbury Place (1912-66) late William Holt Street off Wimberley Street Shear Brow

High Court of Justice Victoria Street (1903-51)

Registrar: J Nowell Withers (1903-15); R Bremner (1935-42); W Woodcock (1935-39); W J Plant (1942-51);

C R Davies (1946-51)

High Street (1832-1980) Salford / Railway Road Nos 7-13 and 2-24

High Street (1836) Nova Scotia became Bolton Road

High Street (1888) Lower Darwen Nos 2-24 and 31/37

Highbury Place (1980)

Higher Audley Street (1870) 2 Cicely Street / Higher Eanam

Higher Audley mill Higher Audley Street William Barton doubler and reed and heald manufacturer 500 spindles (1891). £3,000 fire damage on 15th February 1908 under ownership of Messrs Joseph Dugdale & Sons from (1894) Owned by Higher Audley Spinning and Manufacturing Co Ltd (1915-58) cotton spinners & manufacturers spun rayon yarns viscose aceteate triacetate nylon terylene etc previously John Dugdale & Son (1878-1912) cotton spinners & manufacturers

Higher Bank (1870-1930) Adelaide Terrace                                                      Thomas Green (1870)

Higher Bank Hey Farm (1915)

Higher Bank Street (1885) 133 Duke's Brow Nos 1-13 and 4-12

Higher Bank Villas (1870) 2 Adelaide Terrace / Duke's Brow

Higher Barn (1832) owned by the Critchleys on site near Oxford Street Chapel James Wilkinson (1832)

Higher Barn (Houses) (1836-1938) Whinney Lane

Higher Barn Cottage (1936) Whinney Lane

Higher Barn Farm (1870-1966) Whinney Lane

                                             Richard Critchley “ 'Owd Dick o' Dad's “ John Cort (1870) R C Butterfield (1966)

Higher Barn Street (1870-1980) off Wharf Street / 2 Higher Eanam No 1

Higher Barn Street Mill (1915) owned by James Dewhurst & Co (Blackburn) Ltd cotton manufacturers and Audley Ring Mill Ltd (1915) cotton spinners & manufacturers

Higher Bencock (1851) Freezeland near Pellmell

Higher Bent Gap (1824-1980) the area between Johnston Street and Manor Road

Higher Broadhalgh 782 Livesey Branch Road (1851) handloom weavers' cottage

Higher Brookhouse Farm (1870-1958) Whalley Range                                John Hacking (1870)

Higher Cabin End Farm also known as Cabin Endhall

Higher Church Street (1958) Darwen Street

Higher Cockcroft (1795) 29 Northgate

Higher Copster (1881) Guide

Higher Croft (1929)

Higher Croft Cottages listed 1974 of local interest.

Higher Croft Farm (1870-1966) Lower Darwen

                                                                        Howarth & Paker (1870) Ann Leigh (1870) H B Haworth (1966)

Higher Croft Housing Estate comprised 204 traditional type houses when built in late 40s plus 60 by private enterprise

Higher Croft Methodist chapel (1969)

Higher Croft Road (1929) Lower Darwen Railway

Higher Cunliffe Farm (1843-1980)                                                                      T M Turner & B Buckle (1966)

Higher Cunliffe pits (1836-44) some nine shafts were worked by a Mr Clark exploiting an outcrop of the Lower Mountain Mine at Bank Hey. Fireclay was also mined here.

Higher Cunliffe Quarry (1938) right off Whalley Old Road Sunnybower

Higher Eanam (1844) 69 Eanam

Higher Eanam Brewery owned by Joseph Eatough & Co Ltd (1878) brewers

Higher Elementary Council School (1912-15) Blakey Moor mixed     headmaster: H W Boddy BSc (1912-15)

Higher Farm (1853) north of Shear Brow Farm west of Shear Brow above Shear Bank

Higher Feniscowles Farm (1870-1915) Pleasington                                      Nicholas Wearden (1870)

Higher Feniscowles Lane (1980)

Higher Fowler Height Farm (1935-51)

Higher Gate (1870-81) Shear Brow

Higher Grade School                                                                             see Blackburn Higher Grade School

Higher Hill Farm (1881-1958) Lower Darwen

Higher Hollins Farm (1870) Lower Darwen                                           Hugh Chester (1870)

Higher Horse Load (1838) Nova Scotia

Higher House Farm (1870-1966) Blackamoor Road Guide   James Haworth (1870-8) dwelling house (1966)

Higher & Lower Hill Farm (1870) Lower Darwen                                             Edward Shorrock (1870)

Higher Langham Street (1903) No 67

Higher Meadow (1835) Whitebirk estate

Higher Mill Audley Bridge owned by Henry Mercer Bros. & Co Ltd (1930) cotton manufacturers

Higher Moss Street (1870) Daisyfield

Higher Oozebooth (Ousbooth) Farm (1672-1958) built by Thurstan & Katherine Maudsley                                                                                                                                           Robert Gorton (1870)

Higher Raven Wing (1844) Revidge Lane below Mount Pleasant

Higher Rock Mount (1929) 158 Duke's Brow

Higher Royshaw Fold (1870-1958) St. Michael's Ward                                  Thomas Crook (1870)

Higher Shadsworth Farm (1958) at the junction of Rothesay Road and Fecitt Brow junction

Higher Shorrock (1900) Shorrock Lane Waterloo

Higher Shorrock Hey Farm (1870) Pleasington                                              Christopher Ashworth (1870)

Higher Slacks Farm (1851-1958) Whinney Lane

Higher Smalden (1716)

Higher Spew Spout Farm (1915)

Higher Springfield Farm (1935-66) Guide                                                         J B Holdsworth (1966)

Higher Stocks Clough Farm (1851) Livesey                                        Christopher Tattersall (1878)

Higher Stoney Butts (1716-39)

Higher Tinct Farm (1851) Pleasington

Higher Toad Hole (1797) farm and coach-house 491 Preston New Road

Higher Town End Farm (1915)

Higher Twist Field Farm (1843-70)         Pleasington                                     James Marsden (1870)

Higher Walks (1716-1856) Audley estate see Snape Fields

Higher Walmsley Fold Farm (1902-58) Blackamoor Road, Guide

Higher Waterhouse (1851) Livesey

Higher Waves Farm (18th cent.) East of Seven Acre Brook Nos. 1 & 2 Ramsgreave Drive listed 1974 of local interest.

Higher Weaver Farm (1951)

Higher Whitberke (1659)

Higher Whitebirk Farm on the left of the Rishton Road

Higher Whitehalgh Farm (1881-1996) Stockclough Lane, Livesey

Higher Willows Farm (1915-59) Pleckgate

Higher Wilworth Farm (1843-1958)                                Isaac Fawcett (1870); William Oliver (1878)

Higher Witton Farm (1851-1915)

Higher Witton Road (1958) 13 Buncer Lane

Higher Woodgates Farm (1853-81) Freezeland Witton

Highfield (1852) Nova Scotia

Highfield Athenaeum (1852) Nova Scotia (a literary or scientific clubroom, institution or library)

Highfield Cottage / House (1851-78) Mosley Street / Robert Street

Highfield Farm (1870-81) Honey Hole                                   James Ashworth (1870) William Bentley (1878)

Highfield House (1870) Mosley Street / Robert Street             Robert Hopwood Hutchinson DL JP (1870)

Highfield mill Highfield Road Nova Scotia owned by Frederick Textiles Ltd (1958) previously owned by Joseph Harrison & Co (1870-1904) cotton spinners & manufacturers and Harrison Sons & Co (1870-94) cotton spinners 33,400 spindles 360 looms printers & shirtings later by William Walker Sons & Co (1912-15) cotton spinners and manufacturers Lawrence Cotton (1922)

Highfield Park has an area of 2 acres containing 2 bowling greens and a children's playground. The land was sold to Blackburn Corporation by Sir William Coddington Bart MP in 1898 for £1,902 12s.

            see Rockcliffe Street

Highfield Road (1851) (Saw Mill Lane) 139 Bolton Road Nos 3-71 and 4-70 demolished 2008

Highfield Road Mill Longshaw Mill Co Ltd (1922)

Highfield Street (1898)

Highfield Terrace (1903-29) Highfield Road

High Street (1795-1878) Foundry Hill near Salford where Telegraph offices are now

High Street (1852) St. John's Church

High Street (1851) Nova Scotia became Bolton Road

High Street East (1851)

Highton Terrace (1888-1929) 62 Redlam Nos 64-134 named after Highton family plumbers of Redlam

Highways

Blackburn Corporation Highways Department storeyard Pembroke Street (1930-51);

Higson Street (1870-1980) 2 Johnston Street named after Thomas Higson joiners & builders Nos 1-51 and 2-44

Higson Street Independent School (1878)

Higson Street Mill owned by J & R Astley Ltd in 1958

Hillcrest Road (1966)

Hill Farm (1870) Lower Darwen                                                                Edward Shorrock (1870)

Hill of Health (1903-49) 185 Shadsworth Road

Hillock(s) Farm (1935-51) Feniscowles

Hill Street (back) (1870-1980) Harwood Street / 15 Furthergate Nos 65-99 and 6-16

Hill Street Dog Track last race 1984 site of Tesco

Hillside Avenue (1958) 52 Fecitt Brow

Hillside Close (1980)

Hillside Walk (1980)

Hill View (1980)

Hilmont Terrace (1929-80) 50 Troy Street / Cedar Street / Oak Street

Hilton Street (1852-1966) 20 Duxbury Street

Hilton Terrace (1903-12) Redlam Nos 17-23

Hindle Street (1836) Lark Hill Street / Moor Street

(The) Hindley School of Dancing (1939) 15 Preston New Road; (1947) Lees Hall Mincing Lane; (1951) 14 Astley Gate;                                                                                 principal: Miss Winifred E Boderke (1939-51)

Hippings Farm (1870-81) Wilpshire                                                                    James Hill (1870-81)

H M High Court of Justice (1897) Victoria Street         registrar: John Bolton (1897) J Nowell Withers (1900)

H M Inspector of Factories (Blackburn District) (Textile Particulars Clauses Act) office Bank Chambers Lord Street West (1909-41) Law Courts Chambers Northgate (1941-58) King Street (1960s)      

inspector: L H Hamilton 2 Edgeware Road (1889) John T Birtwistle 34 Richmond Terrace (1897-1900) G Allen Taylor (1909) Norman H Jones (1930) W J K Cook (1935) F G Bellerby (1942) A Minnell (1942) 

H M Inspector of Schools W H Brewer MA (1889-97) 24 Shear Bank Road

H M Inspector of Taxes Law Courts Chambers Northgate (1930); Regent House Regent Street (1939-58); Broseley House (1960s);

No 1 District: W E Whitworth (1930); J R Taylor (1942)

No 2 District: G E Hilliard (1930); A W A Jones (1942)

No 3 District: 23 Preston New Road: A H Potter (1930); F E Douglas (1942)

H M Senior Inspector of Textile Particulars Law Court Chambers Northgate (1951)

                                                                                    inspector: John T Birtwistle (1909); Arthur Mennell (1951)

Hodder Street (1885-1980) 85 Whalley Range Nos 3-31 and 2-32

Hodson Street (1870-1966) 69 Victoria Street / 69 Follywell Street Nos 1-31 and 4-14

Holden Street (1870-1980) 29 Wensley Street

Hole Bottom (1851) Livesey

The Hole Farm (1870-1915) Wilpshire                                                   William Smith (1870)

Hole House Estate (1565) off Burnley Road

Hole House Farm (1851-1915) Accrington Road                                         Nancy Gorse (1870); John Simm(1878)

Hole House Lane (1851)

Hole House mill Kenyon Street owned by John Smith (1870) cotton spinner; Livesey Smith & Forrest (1887) with Quarry Street mill 885 looms shirtings & jacconetts then Smith & Forrest (1891-1922) cotton manufacturers 440 looms jacconettes mulls and cambrics. Later owned by Sir Elkanah & Sons Ltd had 4,184 doubling spindles and 193 looms in 1958

Hole House Street (1870-1980) 137 Burnley Road Nos 1/5 and 2-14

Hole 'ith Wall (1832) 184 Shear (Shire) Brow marked by the Hole 'ith Wall public house behind which Blackburn Olympic Football club played their matches.

Hole i' th' Wall Farm (1836-1902)

Holgate Farm (1878) Livesey                                                                   Robert Spencer (1878)

Holker Place (1881) Wilpshire Street

Holland Street (1888-1980) named after eminent judge 37 Shear Brow Nos 1-31 and 2-34

Hollyville (1929) 65 Preston New Road

The Hollies (1881) Park Crescent

Hollies Close (1980)

Hollies Road Farm (1915) Wilpshire

Hollin (Holam) Bank (1750) below Bolton Road located where the various Hollin Bank streets are to-day

Hollin Bank Buildings (1872-1930) Bolton Road Christ Church Parish

Hollin Bank Crescent (1878-1930) John Thomas Street / 3 Kirby Road

Hollin Bank mill owned by James Thompson (1870) & Sons (1878-94) cotton spinners and manufacturers  and Cotton & Slater (1870) manufacturers then James Nuttall Boothman (1878-91) cotton manufacturer 432 looms printers mafapolloms jacconettes and mulls white and grey. James Thompson & Sons (1891) 52,000 spindles

742 looms shirtings and dhooties. Followed by Greenwood Bros. Ltd cotton manufacturers (1902-15) Riley Leach & Co (1922) For sale 1936 Disused by 1937

Hollin Bank Mission (Christ Church) Kirby Road (12 John Thomas Street) opened 17th March 1893 and enlarged by the addition of two cottages on March 1st 1894 and three years later. Closed at last service 2nd November 2003

Hollin Bank Ring Mill Bolton Road Hollin Bank Ring Mill (1920) Ltd (1912-37) cotton spinners & mftrs.

Hollin Bank Ropery (1958) John Hayes

Hollin Bank Street (1870) Havelock Street / Bolton Road

Hollin Bank Terrace (1878-1930) Infirmary Bolton Road

Hollin Bridge Street (1851-1980) Bolton Road Nos 1 & 9 and 2-94

Hollin Bridge Saw Mills Waterfall operated by McMullen & Woodcock (1935) timber merchants

Hollin Street (1885) Wilson Street Nos 1 to 35, 2 & 50 to 66 all demolished. Harrisons' Institute demolished 2005. Only Hamilton Arms Hotel remains.

Hollins Fold (1833)

Hollinshead Mill St. James' Road owned by Hollinshead Mill Co Ltd (1912-39) cotton manufacturers later owned by Scrim Manufacturing Co Ltd (1958) had 437 looms

Hollow Head Farm (1870-915) Wilpshire                                                           Stephen Eddleston (1870)

Holly Bush (1870-1929) 214 Shear Brow                                                          Thomas Clough (1870)

Holly Mount (1878-1929) 12 Adelaide Terr​​​ace

Holly Mount (1878-1929) 3 West Park Road

Holly Street (1929) 59 Cedar Street

Holly Tree Way (1980)

Hollyville (1881-1929) 65 Preston New Road

Hollywood Bowl Stanley Street/Harwood Street a computerized ten-pin bowling alley opened in 1992 but was closed by its owners Bass Leisure Entertainments on Saturday 16th April 1994 without notice. There were 5 leagues using the building. Now used by Graham & Brown Ltd. as a design centre.

Holmbrook Close (1980)

Holme (1835) Whitebirk estate

Holme Street (1795-1966) Salford Bridge Nos 2-8 and 5/7

Holmsley (1929) Preston New Road

Holst Gardens                     Roman Road

Holt Street (1851-1929) 15 Furthergate

Holt's Buildings (1851-1949) Moor Street / Starkie Street

Holy Souls R C Church Whalley New Road formed 1924 opened 2 May 1926 until approx.1951 New church opened at Brownhill.

Holy Souls CEP School (1974-99) Wilworth Crescent held on Whalley New Road at the church during the war

Holy Trinity CEP School (1999) Bank Top

Holy Trinity C of E Church Trinity Street Mount Pleasant Larkhill (1837-1964) was Grade 2 listed in 1981. The foundation stone was laid by the Bishop of Chester in January 1837 and was opened on 11th January 1846 by the vicar of Blackburn Dr J W Whitaker DD and the Rev R Parkinson canon of Manchester. Designed by Sharpe Paley & Austin of Lancaster it was consecrated on 12th July 1846 by the Lord Bishop of Chester. The church held 1400 people of which 600 were free. It cost £5,019 to build not including the tower which wasn't erected until 1853, the intended spire was never added. The Sunday schools were attached to the church. On the 21st November 1888 a new peel of 8 bells costing £700 were dedicated by Rev. and Rural Dean Canon Champneys vicar of Haslingden. They were subsequently removed in 1982 and installed in St. Silas' church Preston New Road Blackburn after the church had closed in 1979. And the church passed to the Church Conservation Trust in November 1979.

Holy Trinity (C of E) National School (1878-81) Cleaver Street boys girls and infants; Mount Pleasant (1903) boys, girls and infants; (1912-51) mixed and infants; A new school was built in 1910. Junior School closed 1964. Infant School closed 1972.

Holy Trinity Young Men's Association 51 Trinity Street, Blackburn (1881-1951) sec: T Marsden (1939-42)

Hoole's Academy

Honeyhole (1836) tenement 72 Kemp Street Grimshaw Park housed a pottery of Messrs Kemp & Riley in 1794 (1956)

Honey Hole Farm (1898-1966)                                                                J E Shorrock (1966)

Honey Pot Farm (1881-1958) Newington Avenue Little Harwood

Honiton Avenue (1980)

Hope Foundry Daisyfield owned by Joshua Whitehead (1870) iron & brass founders

Hope Street (1870-1980) off Winter Street / Montague Street Nos 1-49 and 2-28

Hope Terrace (1867) 27 Duke's Brow Nos 1-19 and 4

Hope Terrace (1912-29) 239 Whalley Old Road

Hope Villa (1878-1929) 27 Duke's Brow

Hopwood Schools Grimshaw Park foundation stone laid 7th March 1850 by John Turner Hopwood (grandson of Robert) costing £800 was at the junction of Mosley Street and James Street (now Proctor Street) was an extension of the Leyland Charity School for Girls in Thunder Alley. The Leyland Charity gave £400 Robert Hopwood £150 plus the site and £250 was raised by subscription. It was designed by Rev J W Whittaker DD. It was used as a charity school until Grimshaw Park National Schools were opened Christmas Day 1857 after which the building was used as an Infants' School until 1888 when the Infants' School on Rockcliffe Street was opened. Became Christ Church parish rooms and were opened in February 1898.

Hopwoods Baths (Hot Air Baths) Exchange Arcade (13) & 15 Fleming Square (1885-1915) opened by George Hopwood in 1885

Hopwood Street (1851-1980) 40 Kay Street Grimshaw Park

Hopwood's Mill                                                                                           see Nova Scotia

Horden (Harden's, Hordenn) Farm (1622)                   Margaret Haslam (1870) Joseph Haslam (1878)

Horden Rake (1966) Broken Stone Road Livesey

Horden View (1980)

Hornby House King Street built for Bertie Markland (1778) W H Hornby moved from 2 King Street here and A N Hornby was born here.

Hornby Rifle Range Freme Street (1910-15) President: Sir Wm. Hy. Hornby sec: Jas. Haworth (1910-1);

Hornby Statue (William Henry Hornby). Bronze statue sculpted by Albert Bruce-Joy it was a gift of a grateful employee Mr. John Margerison and was erected on 18 July 1912 and unveiled by Sir Harry Hornby his eldest son. Re-erected by the side of the old Town Hall (1970)

Hornby Street (1878-1966) 33 Whalley Street / 27 Whalley New Road

The Hornby Sunday Schools Derikins, Brookhouse were erected in 1839 and opened 14th April 1840. Financed by W Henry Hornby was connected to St Michael's Church.

Horncliffe (1888) Duke's Brow now part of the Grammar School

Horrobins (1717)

Horse Load (1750) Nova Scotia

Horse Owners' Association High Street. (1912-15)                            secretary: T Alty (1912-15)

Horse Troughs

  1. Griffin Inn (1897-1957) Red granite. Presented by James Carter in 1897. 'A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast '. Presented to the town for the use of our dumb friends by James Carter. 'He prayeth well who loveth well both man, bird and beast'.
  2. Fountain Inn, Intack.
  3. Salford-Cicely Lane junction 
  4. Sudell Cross under Big Lamp removed to Northgate in 1892

    Grey granite. Erected and presented to the town by Mrs. M E Braybrooke in 1882. 'Be merciful',

    'Blessed are the merciful'.

    Hospice Park Lee Hospital work commenced on building in1983

    Hospital Radio (1988)

    The Hotel (1815) King Street it housed the Assembly Room. The outside remodelled later that century and leter in the 20th century was converted to house the Department of Social Services'.

    Houghton Street (1870-1980) 28 Lower Audley Street Nos 1-39

    Houlker's Yard (1818-52) Church Street (Chancery Lane)

    House of Correction Darwen Street built 1611 on south end of Darwen Street Bridge demolished 1872

    Housewifery Centres 75 Preston New Road and 12 St. Alban's Place (1930-51)

    Howard Street (1851-1966) 50 Park Road  / Gt Bolton Street Nova Scotia Nos 1-17 and 4-20

    Howarth Street (1852)

    Hozier Street (1903-80) Didsbury Street Nos 2-36

    Hudson Close (1966)

    Hutchinson Street (1887) previously Workhouse Lane (39) 102 Park Road Grimshaw Park Nos 23/25 and 2 & 20                                                                                                                 demolished 1971

    Hutton Street (1870-1980) Ordnance Street Nos 11/13 and 47/49 & 57

    Hythe Close (1980)

     

    ​​back to top​​