​​Blackburn Encyclopedia C-D​​​


Cabbies' Shelter Blackburn Boulevard given by William Ward of Mellor. Demolished in 1944

Cabin End (1852) Accrington Road/Knuzden Brook where Riley & Tattersall quarried (1870)

Cabin End Hall also known as Higher Cabin End Farm

Cabin End (Factory) Mill was built in 1835 and nearly destroyed by fire in 1837. Owned by Walter Bulcock of Cabin End Hall in 1841 contained 24,000 spindles and 110 power looms went bankrupt in 1848 and sold to Pilkington Bros. and followed by John Baynes & Co. Finally closed in 1955

Cabin End Road (1903-59) now St. Ives Road Intack  Nos 1-15

Cabin End Row (1912-58) previously Knuzden Brook Brow (1848)

Cab(b)in Field (1750)

Cable House pre 1801 purchased by Joseph Ainsworth (after which Ainsworth Street is named) from the Cable family executors. Later became the surgery for Dr. James Barlow and then The Spread Eagle Hotel. Demolished in 1951 The grounds straddled the Blakewater at the bottom of James' Street.

Cable Street (1788-1959) 12 Old St James' Street / Brown Street Nos 3-7 and 2

Cadshaw Close (1980)

Caine Street (1844) off John Street

Calder Street (1899) 151 Whalley Range Nos 1-43 and 4-24

Caledonian Hall (1897) Moss Hall Accrington Road                proprietor: D Culvert (1897)

Caledonian Lake (1890-1900) Moss Hall Accrington Road opposite the Fountain Inn used by Blackburn Caledonian Curling club for outdoor winter curling

(Old) Calendar House Chapel Street where John Wesley opened the first Methodist meeting house in Blackburn.

Calender Street & back (1795-1980) leading from 2 Salford to High Street

Calgary Avenue (1980)

Calico Street (1929) 321 Bolton Road Ewood

California Gardens was located on over an acre of land on Davenport Road between Whitehead Street and Bromley Street. It contained a 3,000 sq. ft. dance hall and a monkey house. Then followed a race-course on the site of the south side of Belle Vue Street between Cheetham Street and Addison Street The dance hall was later turned into a music hall and an athletics track built from where pigeon races, rabbit coursing, track and dog races were held. Its correct name was Royal Park Gardens (Belle Vue and Foxhall Gardens) but ultimately it received unpleasant notoriety and it was closed down and auctioned off in January 1868

Cambay Villas (built 1874) Preston New Road/Billinge End Road St Silas'

Cambria Place (1929) 52 London Road

Cambrian Close (1980)

Cambridge Street (1870-1980) Hr Audley Street / Withers Street Nos 1-95 and 18-36

Camden House (1929-41) 37 Alexandra Road

Camden Street (1903-80) Clinton Street Nos 2-34

Campbell Place (1910-80) Spring Lane

Campbell Street (1878-1980) Pemberton Street No 2

Campsie Lodge (1929-41) Infirmary Road

Canal Cottage (1929-49) 30 Highfield Road 

Canal Foundry (1848) Manner Sutton Street owned by William & John Yates (1870-8) engineers steam boiler makers millwrights iron and brass founders. Yates & Thom (1894)

Canal House 50 Eanam.  Built about1820 Grade 2 listed building.

Canal New mill George Street East owned by Thomas Driver & Co (1878-94) cotton spinners & manufacturers 21,564 spindles 342 looms skirtings and dhooties then Holden Bros (1902-12)

Canal Mill (1844) Manner Sutton Street owned by Riley Bros. (1902) cotton spinners and manufacturers. Collapsed during night of 18th December 1907 whilst occupied by Blackburn Paper Co. damaged estimated at £8,000 to £10,000

Canal Old Mill Wharf Street off Higher Barn Street Eanam built in 1822 was the first steam powered corn mill in Blackburn. Became a cotton mill in 1837 owned by George Jackson & Son cotton spinners & manufacturers (1852) and finally Higher Eanam Brewery in 1915 owned by Holden Bros. cotton manufacturers (1922) then became part of Prospect Mill until 1989 Demolished 1999

Canal Street (1870) Birley Street

Canal Street (1878-1980) 26 Queen's Terrace Mill Hill Navigation Hotel

Canal Wharves at Grimshaw Park Lower (J & W Tomlinson Ltd colliery proprietors & colliery agents 1930) also Hollin Bank

Canning Street (1851-1966) 13 Russell Street / 4 Nelson Street Nova Scotia Nos 2 & 6 and 15

Cannon Street (1795-1885) between 51 Northgate and Blakey Moor named after the Crimean cannon which blocked the street to wheeled traffic at its Northgate end. Nos 1/2 and 18

The Cannons (the Battery) two Russian cannon captured at the battle of Sebastapol in the Crimea War were presented to the town by Lord Panmure the secretary of state for war on 22nd June 1857. They were fired on the opening of the Corporation Park in June 1857 to remind the people of the British victories. A carriage drive was constructed to the battery by unemployed operatives during the cotton famine in 1863-4. Two German guns from the Great War were later added. They were sold by the corporation in 1937 for scrap, in the salvage drive for World War 11, after their wooden carriages had rotted away, along with a tank in Queen's Park.

                                                                                                                                    see Panopticon

The Cans – big can and little can were the names for the two reservoirs of water in Pemberton Clough now Corporation Park

Canterbury Street (1870) from 136 Darwen Street Nos 1-67 and 4-62

Canterbury Street Barracks built in 1860 to house the 2nd Lancashire Rifle Volunteers, which had just been formed. See also Artillery Volunteers.

Canterbury Street Dyeworks Baron's Yard off Darwen Street started in 1880 in former reed and heald works by Jonathan Mercer. Robinson Bros. took over 1898 until 1933.

Canterbury Street Foundry owned by Thomas Parkinson (1870) iron & brass founder and coppersmith. Joseph Winter & Co. (1903)

Canterbury Street Mill owned by Golden Stewart (1958) had 80 looms previously owned by Kenyon & Brother (1870) manufacturers then George W Nichols & Co (1878-91) cotton manufacturers 453 looms shirtings jacconettes & dhooties followed by Haydock & Duerden (1894-1922) cotton manufacturers later Henry Mercer Bros. & Co Ltd (1930) cotton manufacturers then J Haydock & Sons Ltd (1939) cotton manufacturers

Canton mill Eleanor Street / Higher Audley Street a stone built warehouse and weaving shed. Built in 1865 by Thomas Stones (1865-70) manufacturer John Spencer cotton spinner & manufacturer owned the mill in (1878-80) but the ownership passed to Higson Bros. cotton spinner & manufacturer (1891-1912) also Peel mill having leased it from before 1887 1254 looms fine cambrics mulls jaconettes etc E & G Hindle were proprietors in (1915-30). Cotton production ceased in 1955 The chimney was demolished in 1974. Mill now run by Jones Textilities (1976)

Captain Nolan Street (1878) Queen Elizabeth Street

Card and Blowing Room Association 9 St. Peter's Street (1881);              secretary: Richard Cocking (1881)

Card Beach Farm (1915) Ramsgreave

Card Room Operatives' Society (1897-41) 56a Victoria Street 1 Clayton Street (1900) 

                                                                                    secretary: P Maguire (1897-1900) Malam Brothers (1909)

Cardroom Workers' Association (1897-1922) 1 Clayton Street (1897)                                                                                                                                                  secretary: P Maguire (1897) Michael Brothers (1922)

Cardwell House (1841) occupied by District Bank

Cardwell Corn Mill owned by John Baldwin (1903-4)

Cardwell mill Albert Street Livesey built in 1858-9 as textile factory. Owned by James Thompson & Co (1870) cotton spinners then Mitchell Eccles & Co (1878-94) cotton spinners and manufacturers 31,000 spindles 516 looms medium shirtings employing 350 people Owned by Cardwell Mill Co Ltd (1902-12) cotton spinners & manufacturers followed by J Hawkins & Sons Ltd (19300 cotton manufacturers. It ceased weaving in 1950s, was then used as a cloth and yarn warehouse and closed in 1983. Demolished September 2001

Cardwell Place (Fish Lane 1890) 8 Astleygate (1929) named after Richard Cardwell. Nos 9-37 and 8 &16

Carham Road (1941-59) Pleckgate Road

Carlinghurst Road (1980)

Carlisle Street (1870-1980) 63 Lower Audley Street Nos 3-73 and 8-94

Carlisle Street mill owned by John Smalley (1878) cotton manufacturer N Walmsley and Sons with Atlantic mill 760 looms shirtings printers jaconettes then J & A Noble cotton manufacturers (1894) Mercer & Sharples (1902) later R Whittaker Bros. & Co Ltd (1915) cotton manufacturers followed by James Dewhurst Ltd (1922-30) cotton manufacturers

Carlton Road (1903) Highbury Place 4 houses

Carlton Terrace (1903-41) Park Avenue

Carlton Villa (1881-1941) Park Crescent

Carluke Street (1929) Accrington Road Board School

Carmelite Convent Mount Carmelite 11 Meins Road (1992-3)

Carnarvon Road (1929) off Manor Road

Carnforth Close (1980)

Caroline Street (1903-12) now St. Aidan's Avenue Mill Hill Nos 3-21 and 4-18

Carr's Cottage (1848) Whalley New Road near Skew Bridge

Carr Cottage (Cemetery) Mill Whalley New Road owned by Carr Cottage Mill Co (1870) manufacturers then Isaac Turner & Sons (1843-78) cotton manufacturers and used by Whalley New Road Manufacturing Co (1903-4) Extended in 1912 owned by Duckworth & Eddleston (1894-1930) cotton manufacturers then John Duckworth & Son (Blackburn) Ltd (1939)

Carr Hall Farm (1870-1915) Wilpshire                                                    Robert Hill (1870-81)

Carr Lane (1818-52) Penny Street

Carr Lane (1851-1980) Meins Road

Carr Lane (House) Farm (1848-1935) west of Beardwood

Carr Street (1870-1980) off 2 Blackburn Street Nos 1-5 and 2-40

Carrington Avenue (1941-59) Fernhurst Street

Carrs Wood (1980)

Carters' and Lurrymen's Association (1897) 35a Northgate                        secretary: G W Pickard (1897-1900)

Cart Leach Farm (1881) Ramsgreave                                                    William Ellison (1881)

Cartmell Road (1980)

Cartmell Street (1929-66) 105 Preston Old Road

Castle Hotel (1796) Market Street Lane re-built 1810 and extended in 1893. Demolished 2007

Castle Rag (1841-89) tenement in Ramsgreave

Castle Speakers' Club (1988) East Lancs Cricket Club

Castle Street (1870-1941) 40 Artillery Street / Ordnance Street Nos 28 and 40

Cathedral built as St. Mary's Parish Church between 1820-6 Grade 2 listed in 1951 the gateway at the top of Church Street built in 1825 was Grade 2 listed in 1974.                      

John Hayward artist was responsible for Christ the Worker; the Corona; the Six-Winged Seraphim; the windows in the south transept and St. Mary's chapel; and the engraved screen between the Jesus and St. Martin's Chapels. Lantern Tower costing £800,000 completed 1998. The 30ft dia. sculpture on east end 'The Healing of the Nations' unveiled August 2001 at a cost of £100,000

Cathedral Close (1980)

Cathedral Men's Club Cort Street (1930-5)                                           secretary: G H Clayton (1930-5)

Cathedral Mission Church Walpole Street founded 22nd November 1923 in the basement of a mill owned by Alderman Burke.

Cathedral Quarter (2015) incorporating the Cathedral Court, Premier Inn Hotel and Office Block on the Boulevard at a cost of £33m built by Eric Wright Construction

Catholic Apostolic Church at the corner of Regent Street & Victoria Street (9/1878-1930) seated 300 in 1889

Previously worshippers occupied the Spinners' Institute for 12 months migrating to large room in Town Hall Street then Church Street for 2 years.

Catholic Association Society 8 St. Alban's Place (1930-5)                           secretary: W Lovell (1930-5);

Catholic Boys' Guild Paradise Lane (1939-51); secretary: J Boardman (1939); Rev. Jas. Forrestall (1942-51)

Catholic Brethren (1918) 88 Whalley Old Road                                               secretary: Percy Brown (1918)

Catholic Club 57 Fleming Square (1870) 1 Fish Lane (Astley Gate) (1878-81) Lord Street (1897-1909);

President: Colonel Butler-Bowden (1881) secretary: John Rigby (1870) Thomas Driver (1878) F W Hothersall (1881) steward: Mark Nelson (1878-81)

Lord Street secretary: Henry Pickup (1900) R Gregson (1903) George Kent (1909-12) Richard Corry & F Atkinson (1915) T Dowthwaite (1924-5) H Chew (1939)

Astley Gate (1947); 11 Princes Street (1951):                                         secretary: J Boardman (1951)

Catholic Clubs (Central) Lord Street, secretary: H Chew (1930-47); St. Mary's Dean Street (1924-47) Joseph Joyce (1942-7); St. Alban's 14 St. Alban's Place (1924-47) secretary: Rev. John Hennessey (1947) St. Anne's Clayton Street (1924-47) secretary: J Hargreaves (1924-5) P Murphy (1930) P Cunningham (1935) Leo Dugdale (1939-42) J Baldwin (1947): St. Anne's Paradise Lane (1930-47) secretary: H Ellison (1930-5)

F Fogarty (1939) L Pinder (1942) J Baldwin (1947): St. Peter's Lansdowne Street Witton (1897-1947) secretary: John Cunningham (1909) J Reddington (1924-5) P O'Malley (1930-5) J Baldwin (1939-51) and Working Men's Cort Street (1930)

Catholic Concert Party (1901)

Catholic Friendly Societies Association 8 St. Alban's Place (1915-47)  

secretary: J Brownlee (1915); W Lovell (1939-47);

Catholic Girls' Club Regent Street (1930-5)                                          secretary: Mrs A Helm (1930-5)

Catholic (High) Higher Grade School (1897-1947) St. Alban's Place;

Head master: Louis McCaffrey (1897-1900) Thomas Douthwaite (1903-15)

Catholic News office Central Buildings Lord Street West (1903-12) J W Catlow (1912)

Catholic Worker Newspaper 11 Princes Street (1939-47)

Catholic Working Men's Club 3 Corporation Street (1881); Church Street (1885); Cort Street (1912);                                                                                            secretary: James Thompson (1881); Thomas Shorrock (1885)

Catholic Youth Centre (1988) West End Catholic Youth Club Mincing Lane

Caton Street (1903-59) 2 Regent Street Nos 1-9 and 2-10

Catterall Street (1903) Livesey Branch Road Livesey Nos 2-24

Cattle Market Sumner Street / Harrison Street Islington (1923-59) contained an area of 9,151 sq yds. Included a siding from the railway, 48 cattle pens, 64 sheep pens, 12 pigpens and 24 miscellaneous pens

Cattle auction Mart building erected in 1923 at a cost of £6,000 designed by A T Gooseman Borough Engineer

veterinary surgeon; E J Burndred MRCS DVH (1924-35);

Cave Street (1929-80) Francis Street

Cavendish Club Lord's Square over new precinct opened by DJ Simon Dee of Radio 1 fame in 1968 at a cost of £120,000.  Burned down in December 1972 Re-opened after £250,000 re-furbishment in 1974 Re-named 'Romeo and Juliets' in 1979 Also Peppermint Place Now Utopia Discotheque

Cavendish Place (1878) Griffin Street / 127 Witton Parade Nos 2-40

Cavendish Working Men's Reform Club (1870) 139 Moss Street

Cecilia Road (1929) St. Francis' Road Feniscliffe named after a daughter of Henry Feilden Witton New Hall

Cecil Street (1912-80) 52 Daisy Street

Cecil Street Mill owned by Cecil Street Mill Co Ltd (1912-22) later by John Dugdale & Sons (Weavers) Ltd (1930-58) cotton spinners & manufacturers along with Cheery Tree Daisyfield Bank and Plantation mills. Hartley Bros. (1939)

Cecil Terrace (1903-1941) 2 Longshaw Lane Nos 2-8

Cedar Street (1878) 253 Whalley Range Nos 1-206 and 2-192

Cedars C Infant Hawthorn Street (1992-99)

Cedar Street County Primary School (1903-30) mixed and infants; (1939-51) junior and infants. The school and site were purchased in 1905 for £3,400. The old school was converted into a department for older children only and adjoining the school a new building to accommodate infants was erected. The cost of these alterations was £5,687.

Cedar Street & St. James' Road Primitive Methodist Day & Sunday Schools Mr W D Coddington MP laid foundation stone on 11th October 1890. Simpson & Duckworth archts. Richmond Terrace work would cost £1,347

Cemetery Whalley New Road opened 1st July 1857                                        see Burial Board

Comprised 40 acres with three chapels for Protestants, Roman Catholics and Dissenters with Registrar's House. The whole is surrounded by a rock-faced ashlar and Cumberland stone wall over 1 mile in length the whole costing £16,000.

superintendent: Abraham Earnshaw (1870)

registrar: Frederick Ashton (1870) Edwin Halliwell (1878-1903) Charles Burton Norwood (1909-15) William S Gregson (1924-5) James Entwistle (1930-5) Percy Marsden (1939-51)

Pleasington (1948-2001)                                                                            registrar: W A Birch (1947-51)

Cemetery Mill Whalley Road owned by Richard & Henry Pemberton (1870) manufacturers then Joseph Thompson (1878) cotton manufacturer

Cemetery Terrace (1870) Whalley New Road

Cemetery View (built 1890) 375/369 Whalley New Road

Centenary                                                                                                    see Blackburn Centenary

Central Adults School Society of Friends Paradise Terrace (1947-51)

Central Billiard Hall Water Street (1951)

Central Buildings (1903-49) Richmond Terrace. 4 businesses (1903)

Central Chambers (1878-1949) 5 Lord St. West

Central Hall Picture Palace Mincing Lane (11/1909-1956) manager: J Bradley (1912); J Jenkinson (1924-5)

Previously been Blackburn Roller Skating Rink for just a few months. Renovated 1823 re-opening as New Central Hall closed in 1957 and sold to Hargreaves, tobacco distributors. Having been a Bingo Hall it opened as a Snooker Hall by Riley's in 2000.

Central Higher (Parish Church) Grade School (1939) boys and girls

Central Lancashire Association for Mental Welfare 3 Law Court Chambers Northgate (1930); 39-41 Alma Street (1935-51);                                                                                            secretary: Miss E M Dash (1935-51)

Central Methodist Mission (church & community centre)(1906) Fielden Street

Central Council School (1924-39) Blakey Moor boys and girls         headmaster H W Boddy B Sc (1924-5)

Central C of E Council School Dandy Walk (1924-5) Boys' and girls'

Central Social Club 13a Cort Street.                                                       secretary: Joseph Vipond (1915)

Certifying Factory Surgeons (1889-1909)                                                        John K Davidson 26 King Street

Chadwick Court (1836-1912) Cannon Street

Chadwick Row (1851) All Saints

Chadwick Street (1838-1980) 104 Bolton Road

Chadwick Street Mill owned by Henry Harrison & Co (1878-91) cotton manufacturers 496 looms fine shirtings printers & T cloths followed by William & James Kay & Co Ltd (1894-1915) cotton manufacturers had fire on 16th January 1908 costing £2,000 of damage then Chadwick Street Mill Co Ltd (1922-30) cotton manufacturers

Chalk Street (1885-1937) Nos 1 and 27-43                                                       now Queen's Park Road

Chamber of Industry and Commerce                                                   see Blackburn& District

                                          East Lancs                                                         see East Lancs

Chamber of Trade                                                                                      see Blackburn Chamber of Trade

Chancery Court Office of the Palatine of Lancaster 34 Richmond Terrace (1897-1900) 3 Richmond Terrace (1909-20) 31 Victoria Street (1924-46) Sessions House Northgate (1946-7);                                                                             registrar: A Pearce (1897-1909) T B Blackburne (1924-5) John M Worthington (1930-47)

Chancery Lane (1818-52) Market Place (Houlker's Yard)

Chandlers' Pump opposite James Street Chapel was a supply of water in the early 1800s

Chantry School founded 1321 the earliest attempt at any definite form of education

Chapel for Deaf and Dumb Victoria Street                                                        see Blackburn Deaf & Dumb

Chapel Green (1872-1959) 21 Chapel Street Nos 2-8

Chapel House (1851) Pleasington

Chapel Place (1870-1980) 21 Park Road Nos 3-25

Chapel Square (1872) St Peter's Ward

Chapel Street (1795-1980) 12 Heaton Street Nos 1-67 and 2-48 / Back Lane / Pearson Street

Chapel Street (1878-1941) Waterfall 10 Peel Street Livesey Nos 7-41 2-60

Chapel Street (1800) Witton

Chapel Street Catholic Chapel (1818-24)

Chapel Street (Independent) Congregational Church (1870-1970) was a Gothic style chapel opened on 15th June 1874 at a cost of £18,000. The 1300 seat chapel designed by Tarring and Son of London superseded the old square chapel dating from 1777, which was devastated by fire 10th January 1872. Closed 1974 and demolished in 1975. The renovated 187ft spire and landscaped grounds were handed over to the people of Blackburn by trustee George Wightman in October 1976.                             see Bazaar Souvenir Handbook Chapel Street Independent School (1859-1923). Opened in 1859 at a cost of £3,000.

Chapel Street Mill (Bang The Nation) (1848) cotton

Charity Organisation 9 Richmond Terrace (1897)                                           secretary M Brothers (1897)

Charity Organisation and Convalescent Home Society 12 Simmons Street (1929-48)

secretary: Miss J L Smith (1930)

Charity School Thunder Alley                                                                 see Girls' Charity School

Charles Street (1878-1980) 55 Hamilton Street Nos 11-27

Charlotte Street (1870) Wimberley Street / 69 Victoria Street Nos 1-107 and 2-100

Charnley's Pictures                                                                                               see Victoria Hall

Charnley's Gate (1890) private road leading from Miles Wife Hey on Lang Row to Limefield

Charnley Street (1878-1980) Albert Street Mill Hill Nos 3 & 13 and 2-6

Charterhouse Place (1980)

Charter of Incorporation dated 28th August 1851.

"Mayor, Aldermen, and Burgesses of the Borough of Blackburn" 14 wards

Chatburn Street (1929) off Saunders Road

Chatham Street (1870-1966) 25 Russell Street / 12 Howard Street / Nelson Street Gt Bolton Street

Nos 1 & 7

Cheetham Street (1885-1980) 120 Johnston Street Nos 1-15 and 2-14

Cheltenham Road (1980)

Cheltenham Street (1878) off Leamington Road (46 Leamington Street) Nos 1-45 and 2-8

Cherry Close (1980)

Cherryclough Way (1966)

Cherry Street (1899) 317 Audley Range Nos 13-135 and 8-68

Cherry Tree (1800)

Cherry Tree Bowling & Social club (1930) 3 Bank Terrace Cherry Tree;  

secretary: H S Singleton (1930-5); J Whiteside (1939-42); Joseph Whalley (1947); George F Iddon (1951);

Cherry Tree C of E Church

Cherry Tree Congregational Church (1889)

Cherry Tree Council School (1924-30) mixed and infants

Cherry Tree Cricket (& Tennis) Club Preston Old Road Cherry Tree (1951-2001)

Cherry Tree Emmanual School (1903-12) mixed and infants

Cherry Tree House (1890) on north side of Preston Old Road near to railway bridge

Cherry Tree Iron Works (1903) The Cherry Tree Machine Co Ltd (1903) machine makers

Cherry Tree Lane (1980)

Cherry Tree mill Livesey (1848-52) owned by William Polding & Brothers cotton spinners and manufacturers later owned by Cherry Tree Mill Co Ltd (1870) manufacturers then John Dugdale & Sons (Spinners) Ltd (1870-1958) cotton spinners & manufacturer also Higher Audley Street Paradise Foundry Hill Daisyfield Plantation and Bank mills 184,888 spindles 1970 looms shirtings dhooties and long cloths.

Cherry Tree Mission Room (1889)

Cherry Tree School the site of which was given by Joseph Feilden. The Dowager Lady Feilden of Feniscowles Hall laid the foundation stone in April 1865. Closed 1964

Cherry Tree Station on the Preston line

Cherry Tree Terrace (1903) 13 Bank Terrace Cherry Tree Nos 1-37

Chester Bank (1912-41) Southworth Street

Chester Close (1980)

Chester Street (1870-1980) 37 Higher Audley Street Nos 1-143 and 10-132

Chester Street (1870) Altom Street

Chestnut Street (1929) Cedar Street

Chestnut Walk (1980)

Chetham Street (1966)

Chicken Street (1878-1980) 26 Throstle Street

Child Action Northwest (formed 2004)                                                  see Blackburn Child Care Society

Chippendale Lane (1832-7)                                                                                 became James Street

Chorlton Street (1903-80) 318 Whalley Range Nos 1 & 3 and 2-34

Christadelphian Meeting Room, Temple Chambers, Church Street (1951)

Mission Room: Victoria Street (1930); Hall: 11 Whalley New Road (1964); Hall: Daisy Street (1978)

Christ Church C of E Mosley Street Grimshaw Park. On Whit Monday 1st June 1857 the foundation stone was laid by Miss Hopwood of Highfield House and work was consecrated by the first Bishop of Manchester Dr J Prince Lee on 18th August 1859 and had cost of £5,304. It contained 930 sittings of which 430 were free. It had a spire of 148 ft. but was closed in 1971 and demolished in 1972 having lost a battle to dry rot. A new church was erected at a cost of £220,000 in 1994. The Grimshaw Park Church of England Sunday School originally occupied the site from 1826. The total cost of the church and and Mosley Street Schools was £8,804 18s 2d of which the Hopwood family gave £4,917 and Mr Hopwood paid £536 towards the cost of the site with the remainder of £250 being paid by Mr Joseph Fielden

Christ Church Cricket Club formed in 1894

Christ Church Infants' School Rockcliffe Street foundation stone laid by Dr Moss on 12th May 1888 the total cost including the site was £2,000

Christ Church Mission Shorrock Street (1951) Grimshaw Park

Christ Church (C of E) National School (1870-1930) Mosley Street / Proctor Street boys, girls and infants; (1915-51):  Rockcliffe Street girls; (1939-51) infants;

Became Christ Church Junior Mixed school in April 1950

Christ Church Parish (1872) from Ewood bridge along the high road to Nova Scotia canal bridge, thence along the canal, Highfield Road, Eccles Street, Commercial Street, Prince Albert Street, School Street, Hopwood Street, Kay Street, Hutchinson Street, Park Road, Lower Audley Street to the canal bridge, along the canal to Auldey brook following the brook to the boundary of Lumb Barn estate, that boundary to Shadsworth Lane, along Shadsworth Lane to the parliamentary boundary and htence to Ewood bridge. Population: 8,093.

Christ the King & St Anthony RC church North Road Shadsworth (1951) closed and demolished (2008)

Christian Alliance of Women's and Girls' Institute 10 Cort Street (1930-51)

      secretary: Miss Edith Rushton (1930-51)

Christian Brethrens' Meeting House (Assembly) Russell Street (1881); Gt. Bolton Street (1889) seating 150; Anvil Street (bef 1895); Elim Hall New Wellington Street (1992);

Christian Science church / reading rooms 25 Lord Street (1951); Duke's Brow (1969);

Christian Science Society 79a King William Street (1939-42)

Christian Spiritualist church 2b Lambeth Street (1947);

Churchgate (1739-1818)                                                                                       see Church Street

Church Hill (Holt) (1462) area of Little Harwood just beyond Cob Wall viaduct

Church Hill House (1878-2003) Cob Wall Whalley Old Road

Church Hill Crescent (1894) Cob Wall Whalley Old Road

Church Hill Road (1929) off Whalley Old Road Little Harwood

Church Institute Victoria Street (1870); Town Hall Street (1878-1915); 81 Cornelian Street (1912-5);

hon.secs: Rev. J C Webb and H W Kenyon (1870); John W Talbot (1878); Rev. J A Rushton MA and J W Stones (1881); A Wolstenholme (1912); L Monk (1915);

Church of Christ 52 Park Road (19 –64)

Church of England Central School Darwen Street (1929)

Church of England Higher Grade School (1902) chairman of managers the Right Rev. Bishop Thornton DD (1902)

Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (1990) Lambeth Street

Church of New Jerusalem (Swedenborgians) Ainsworth Street pre 1852

Church of Our Lady of Perpetual Succour founded at Longshaw and opened on 18th September 1955. The architects were Messrs. Greenhalgh and Williams of Bolton.

Church of the Saviour (Christ Church) Longshaw Lane foundation stone laid by Mrs Moss on 23rd March 1901 The church (accommodating 150 people) was dedicated by the Lord Bishop of Manchester Dr Moorhouse on 26th September 1901. Sunday School costing £10,000 opened and dedicated by the Bishop of Blackburn Dr. W M Askwith in 1951 Demolished and new church built

Church Street became Darwen Street before (1795)

Church Street (1795) (Churchgate 1716) 2 Railway Road Nos. 20,28,30 & 36 built 1840 Grade 2 listed in 1974. The centre of the town from its earliest days where the weekly market was held

Closed for pedestrianisation 21st May 2001

Church Walk (1930) 12 Haston Lee Avenue / 258 Brownhill Drive

Cicely Bridge Farm (1942)

Cicely Bridge mill (1860-1951) Higher Audley Street built by John Baynes Ltd in 1860 also owned Knuzden Brook and Furthergate mills in 1891 62,016 spindles 1919 looms shirtings and domestics. In 1958 had 10,000 spindles and 533 looms Closed in 1983 by the Birtwistle Group demolished 1996 for housing.

Cicely Hall (1852) Mount Street

Cicely Hall Barn (Farm) (1746-1933) John Shorrock (1756) occupied by 'Teddy o'mi Granny's' Edward Pomfret above Cicely Bridge (1850s)

Cicely Hole (1824-44) tenement with bowling green                           Edward Pomfret (1832)

Cicely Hole Bridge (1893) over the canal

Cicely Hole Farm                                                                                        Edward Pomfret see above

Cicely Hole Field (1739)

Cicely Lane (1929-41) 46 Salford

Cicely Steps (1929-59) 46 Salford

Cicely Street (1872-1980) 46 Salford / Higher Audley Street Nos 2/4/8/10

Cinder Fields (1880) path from Miles Wife Hey leading to the old St Barnabas' Church

Cinema Royal                                                                                              see Theatre Royal

The Citizen Ainsworth Street (1982) Blackburn free newspaper

Citizen's Advice Bureau Sessions House Northgate (1942) 7 Tacketts Street (1946-7) 

secretary: R Taylor (1942) information officer James L Crook (1946-7)

City Advertiser (1947-51) 37 King Street                                                           exors D Rothwell publishers (1947)

City Learnings Centres opened 2003

Pleckgate High School; Witton Park School;

Civic Society formed in 1965 by the Junior Chamber of Commerce

Claremont (1881-1941) 16 East Park Road

Claremont Hall/House (1870-1941) 145 Preston New Road                         John Baynes JP (1870)

Claremont Place (1903-41) 48 Longshaw Lane Nos 48-64

Claremont Terrace (1878-1941) 147 Preston New Road

Clarence Road (1885)                                                                               see Street below

Clarence Street (1929) 37 Wellington Street St Johns

Clarence Villa (1870) 39 Alexandra Road

Clarence Villa (1881) Clarence Street

Clarendon Road (1885) 258 Whalley New Road Nos 12-18

Clarendon Road East (1980)

Clarke's Buildings (1851) New Market

Classic Cinema                                                                                           see Exchange Picture Hall

Clay Pitts (1750)

Clayton, Goodfellow & Co. (1881) engineers, millwrights, iron & brass founders, Atlas Works (1881); Park Road (1881); St. Paul's foundry Nab Lane (1881);

Clayton Street (1795) off Back Lane (14 Mincing Lane) Nos 3-37 and 2-40

Clayton Street (1852-70) Grimshaw Park

Clayton Street Methodist Chapel (1818)

Clayton Street Mill (1818) Birley & Hornby cotton manufacturers

Clayton Street Wesleyan Methodist Chapel originally built in Chapel Street in 1780 and another built in Clayton Street opened by John Wesley on 17/4/1786. It was enlarged and almost rebuilt in 1816. In 1915 accommodated 850 persons                                                                                    Closed

Clayton Terrace (1903-41) Whalley New Road Brownhill Nos 1-7

Cleansing

Blackburn Corporation Cleansing Department, Pembroke Street (1912-51); Freckleton Street (1915)

superintendant: James Marginson (1912-5); J Eccleston MInstPC (1939); G F Greenwood (1951); chief sanitary inspector: F B Addy (1951);

Cleaver Street & back (1818-1980) 35 Starkie Street / Vicar Street to Syke Street extended to Manner Sutton Street by 1840s

Cleaver Street or Union mill (The Soup Kitchen)

Clegg's (1848) Green Lane/Livesey Branch Road Wellington

Clematis Street (1889) New Bank Road

Clerkhill Street (1870-1966) 31 Artillery Street

Clerk to Assessed and Land, Property and Income Tax Commissioners' Office Shorrock's Fold (1878); 2 Richmond Terrace Blackburn (1903-15);                                   H U Hargreaves (1878); D B Woodfall (1903-15)

Clerk of the Peace Town Hall                                                      R E Fox (1903); Sir Lewis Beard (1912-30);

Cleveleys Road (1959) 60 Manxman Road

The Cliffe (1878) 14 East Park Road

Cliff Farm (1870) Livesey                                                                           John & James Porter (1870)

Clifton Street (1878-1980) 32 Canterbury Street Nos 3-53 and 2-58

Clinton Street (1929-80) 21 St Philip Street / Pelham Street

Clockhills (1750)

Close Bank Cottage (1848) end of Billinge End Road near Alum Scar

Close Bank Farm House (1848)

Close Farm House (1851) Pleasington                                                  William Walmsley (1870)

The Clothing Society (1852)

Cloth Hall Fleming Square erected by John Fleming (1823)

Clothlookers' Hall (Club) 20 Lord Street West (1923-35)       

secretary: R Hurley (1924-5); D E Brierley (1930-5)

Clough Field (1835) Whitebirk estate

Clyde Street (1929) 21 St Philip Street

Coaching (1780) 6th August was the first recorded coach that was introduced from the Lower Swan Inn Market Street Lane to Manchester through Bolton and Chorley returning the next day. As the coach was advertised to set out from Manchester on Monday and Wednesday so the return trip would catch the Tuesday Cotton Market in Manchester. The venture didn't pay and was terminated. Royal mail coaches were introduced in 1784 but didn't pass through Blackburn. 1803 saw the first successful Manchester coach priced at 14s (70p) for a return ticket connecting at Bolton with the Liverpool coach. Preston and Burnley were linked through Blackburn in 1806 and in October Blackburn was connected to Skipton followed in 1807 by a service to Lytham and Blackpool. In May 1809 the Royal mail relented and re-routed the Royal mail coach from Manchester to Carlisle via the Old Bull Blackburn. In 1824 the following coaches were in operation:- from the Old Bull Inn the Mail to London via Manchester; The Sovereign to Liverpool via Preston and Ormskirk; The North Star to Carlisle; The Umpire to Manchester; The Express to Burnley and numerous Market coaches to Manchester and Preston. From the New Inn Church Street the Independent to Preston and Lancaster; The Doctor to London via Manchester; The Commercial to Manchester. From the Bay Horse Salford the Independent to Bury Haslingden and Manchester. From the Hotel King Street The Invincible to Leeds; The Invincible to Preston Lancaster & Liverpool as well as a market coach from Preston.

Coal Pits (Coal Pitts) (1717)                                                          see Cob Wall, Croft Head, Duckworth Hall, Higher Cunliffe, Little Harwood, Lower Barn, Lower Darwen, Top O' Th' Coalpit and Whitebirk

Coalpit Moor

Cob Castle (1885) Brandy House Brow

Cobden (Hall) Buildings (1929-59) Victoria Street

Named after Richard Cobden calico printer of Manchester who was one of those instrumental in the Repeal of the Corn Laws. He received a national testimonial of over £60,000 for his efforts.

Cobden Reform Club (1870) Corporation Street; 54 Church Street (1878-81) King William Street

(1897-1915)

president: James Beads (1881) secretary: Richard Crossley (1878) James Kenyon (1881) J E Hand (1897)

H Walmsley (1915) steward: Henry F Cross (1878-81)

Cobden Street (1878-1929) Bruce Street Livesey Nos 1-123

Cobden Street (1903-80) Amberley Street Livesey Nos 1a-23 and 6

Cobden Street Bruce Street Daisyfield later to become Gladstone Street

Cobden Street Mill owned by D & W Taylor (1878-91) cotton manufacturers with Audley Bridge Moss Street Bridgewater Park Place and Jubilee mills (see Audley Bridge). Followed by Entwistle Bros (1903-4) then Birtwistle Bros. (1894-1915) cotton manufacturers spinners & beamers. On 3rd July 1904 a fire caused £2,000 to £3,000 of damage.  J & J A Porter Ltd (1930) cotton manufacturers followed along with Alston Mill Co Ltd (1930) cotton spinners & manufacturing

Cobden Villa (1878) 20 Shear Bank Road

Cob Street (1868-1980) 60 Whalley Old Road

Cobourg Close (1980)

Coburg Street (1851)

Cob (Cobb) Wall (1750) 144 Whalley Old Road Nos 5-13 and 144-160

Cob Wall Bobbin Works let in 1863 after being operated by first Thomas Riley then Benjamin Riley

Cob Wall Bridge (1844)

Cob Wall F C (1879)

Cob Wall House (1870) Cob Wall Whalley Old Road                          Fisher Armistead (1870)

Cob Wall Mill started as a water-powered carding mill in 1786.Converted to bobbin turning after 1800. Re-built by Kirk & Co. shuttle makers at the turn of the 19th century Owned by cotton spinners Birtwistle & Briggs and Briggs & Hindle (1852) Owned by T & J E Fielding (1912) cotton manufacturers

Cob Wall pit (1844) situated at the corner of the Northrop works off Phillips Road. The shaft was 80yds to a 24in thick coal seam. Nothing else is known.

Cob Wall Progressive Institute (Working Men's Club) 86 / 88 Whalley Old Road corner of Peter Street (1912-15); Beechwood Road (1930); moved to Daisy Street (1971) became member CIU in 1913. Closed by Bass 12/6/2001

secretary: William Wheatley (1930); W Slater (1935); W Watson (1939-42); C Leicester (1947-51);

Cob Wall Viaduct (1843) was very rural when first built to carry the railway to Clitheroe and West Yorkshire over the Blakewater Valley.                                                                             see Bridges

The Cockcrofts Lower, Higher & Middle (1836-1929) Northgate named after the old cock-pit in the vicinity. One is in fact Freckelton Croft.

Cockermouth Close (1980)

Cock Hill (1835) Whitebirk estate

Cockle Hall Farm (1902-29) in the parish of St. Michael's

(Old) Cockpit where cock-fights were common was formerly believed to have been sited in the vicinity of Higher, Middle and Lower Cockcroft on Northgate

Cockridge Close (1980)

Coddington Street (1870) 72 Ordnance Street Little Harwood named after William Coddington Nos 1-83 and 54-84

Colenso Road named after the Boer War

Coldstream Place (1941) 157 Rockcliffe Street

Colenso Road (1903) 42 Brantfell Road 1 house (1903) named after the battle of Colenso in Boer War

Colepitts (Colepits, Colepites, Colepitts, Colpitts) (1615)

Coleridge Street (1903-1980) 69 Stansfeld Street Nos 1-49 and 10-36 to be bulldozed 2012

Collector of property and income tax, Old Square                                        William B Illingworth (1848)

College Street (1899-1941) New Chapel Street

The Colonnade Fleming Square (1824) the passage with metal columns

Columba Hall 26 Simmons Street (1942)

Columbia mill Lower Hollin Bank Street owned by Bragg & Kitcher (1878) cotton manufacturers then by Vernon & Co Ltd (1901-58) for cotton weaving. Used by Albert Mill Co (Blackburn) Ltd cotton spinners & manufacturers in 1894-1922 then Haworth Bros & Co (Blackburn) Ltd (1930-9) cotton manufacturers

Columbia Way (1980)

Commercial Association Exchange Street (1870)                  secretary: Thomas C Ainsworth (1870)

Commercial Mill Daisy Street owned by William Thompson (1878) cotton manufacturer see Albion Mill

Commercial Mill (Th'Brick Factory) Commercial Street Nova Scotia built by William Eccles & Co. in (1837-52) cotton spinners and manufacturers. Let to E & G Hindle with 200 looms (1852-1904) George Holden & Co with Paterson Street mill (1891-4) cambrics jacconettes and fine shirtings. Riley Smalley (1912-22) cotton manufacturers also Chew & Wareing (1906) house decorators. Redmayne & Isherwood Ltd. (1939-58) cotton waste dealers

Commercial Mill Wensley Fold owned by William Eccles & Sons (1852) cotton spinners and manufacturers

Commercial Motor Users' Association 19a Railway Road (1947-51); secretary: Miss P D Bridge (1947-51)

Commercial Street (1844-1966) 125 Bolton Road / High Street Nova Scotia Nos 9-13 and 8 &10

Commercial Travellers' (Club) Association Railway Road (1930-9);                    

    secretary: E Edmondson (1930); D Duckworth (1935-9);

Commissioner of Taxes (Inland Revenue) office 2 Richmond Terrace (1924-30) National Provincial Bank Chambers 8 Lord Street (1935-41) Law Court Chambers Northgate (1939-58)

                                                                                                            clerk: George H C Manning (1924-51)

Commonwealth Association (1947) 44a Market Chambers Victoria Street;

Community Centres

Accrington Road; Audley Sports Centre Chester Street (1994); Bangor Street Norwich Street formerly Wimberley Community Base 42 Tenby Close (1994); Bank Top Oakenhurst Road (1994); Daisyfield Moss Street; Galligreaves & District 47(52) Roebuck Close (1994); Green Lane (1994); Ivy Street (1994); Kashniri Association 237 Whalley Range; Little Harwood Whalley Old Road (1994); Livesey Community Base 132 Brookway (1994); Longshaw Manxman Road; Mill Hill New Chapel Street; Primetime Stourton Street; Roman Road New Field Drive (1994); Shadsworth Neighbourhood Centre Rothesay Road;

Community House (Trade Centre) St Matthew's School Audley (1932) Peel Mill Nab Lane (1934-39); Clayton Street; Presbyterian Church Troy Street (1942); superintendent: Mr Singleton (1932); warden: M W Charnley (1939-42)

Community (see House) Theatre Troy Street.  After the second world war the ideals of the Blackburn Borough Council of Social Service were turned to the possibility of provision of a small well equipped theatre which any Blackburn amateur organization could use, and would become a cultural centre. The Presbyterian Church in Troy Street was converted to a theatre and named the Community Theatre. In 1946 a limited theatre license to stage the pantomime “Mother Goose" was granted and in July a license to perform for not more than 100 days per year was also granted. A grant was made by the town council to cover part of the running costs through a Community House committee. A Theatre Workshop was housed there consisting of eight actors who included Joan Littlewood and Harry H Corbett. The theatre was used by the Arts Club, staged the Blackburn Festivals and provided a stage for visiting companies i.e. The Century Theatre Company and the Kenneth Vaughan Company. A decline set in and complaints were received at the 1973 Festival about conditions and the state of the stage. The income wasn't sufficient to maintain the fabric. The Recreation Department reluctantly made the decision to close down honoring bookings up to March 1978. No alternative venue was made available.

Concept House (1840) 58 Preston New Road

Congregational Chapel Audley Range. Opened September 10th 1890. Decorated gothic with a spire of 130 ft. The cost of building was nearly £6,000 with sittings for 750 persons. Eli Heyworth gave £1,000 but they were still in debt by £1,250 in 1902. Designed by Messrs. Isitt & Verity of Bradford and Wigan. Contractors Messrs. Thomas Higson & Sons, Blackburn.

Congregational Chapel Chapel Street

Congregational Chapel Cherry Tree opened in October 1887. Built of gothic stone structure accommodating 400 persons. The building cost £2,000 gifted by Joseph Dugdale.

Congregational School -Chapel Four Lane Ends.

Congregational Chapel Furthergate erected 1877-8 seating 800 persons.

Congregational Chapel James Street was opened 1842 costing £4,000. Sat 950 persons.

Congregational Chapel Lower Darwen built in 1885 seating 300 persons. A new school was built at a cost of £2,000 accommodating 220 children. This superceded the old Lower Darwen school under the Blackburn School Board.

Congregational Chapel Mill Hill erected 1847 costing £6,000 seating 950 persons. Benefactor Joseph Eccles.

Congregational Chapel Montague Street.

Congregational Chapel Park Road

Congregational Church Institute Bottomgate (1930-47);

Congregational School Chapel Witton built in 1884 accommodating 450 persons.

Coniston Road (1912) previously Lettice Ann Street off Bay Street Little Harwood

Conservation Registration Association (Borough) 18 Fleming Square (1889); Mincing Lane (1929-46); Lord Street West (1948-56); 87 Preston New Road (1960s); agent Elijah Holt (1889)

Conservative Club - formed in 1864 and in June the 5 King William Street premises were opened. It comprised news-room, billiards room and others recreation rooms.

president: Daniel Thwaites (1878-81); chairman: Henry Duckworth (1870); secretary: Thomas Clarkson (1870) John Pilkington (1878) Nicholas Taylor (1881) T Preston (1897); steward: George Aspden (1878) John Haworth (1881);

Central Working Men's Club under the Exchange (1870) Thwaite's Arcade Church Street (1878-1939) secretary: Charles Hamer (1878) J C Haworth (1881) Thomas Preston (1897) Thomas Holden (1900) E Balme (1924-5) J Halliwell & R Scott (1939)

Thwaites' Arcade Church Street (1860-1951) Junior Church Street (1881-1951) sec C H Whewell (1897) P Isherwood (1900) St. John's and Trinity 15 Whalley (New) Road (1878-1951) 115 Dukes Brow (1889) sec John Sharples (1897-1900) Grimshaw Park 26 Grimshaw Park (1870-97) sec A Ratcliffe (1897) Robert Seed (1900) 80/82 Park Road (1878-1947) St. John's 119 Whalley Range (1870) 15 Whalley Road (1881) St. Thomas' 42 Higher Eanam (1870-1907) 19 Copy Nook (1881-1951) sec W H Dilworth (1897-1900) Four Lane Ends 115 (329) Shear Brow (1881-1947) sec J Houldsworth (1897) St. Mary's Witton (1881-1912) 37 King Street (1885-97) sec Ralph Taylor (1897-1900) 75/77 Moorgate Street Livesey (1881-1951) sec N Haslam (1897) Intack & Knuzden Accrington Road (1881-2012) sec J W Braithwaite (1897-1900) St. Stephen's Robinson Street Little Harwood Hall (1881-2017) sec Joseph Morton (1897-1900) School Lane & Haslingden Road Guide (1881-1951) sec J Leaver (1897-1900) Mill Hill Hollin Bank (1881-1909) sec J T Haslam (1897) John Holt (1900) 30 Rakes Bridge, Lower Darwen (1881-1912) sec H P Wilson (1897-1900) Bank Top 120 Bank Top (1870) St. Luke's 48 (50) Bank Top (1881-1947) St. Silas' Gibraltar Street Duke's Brow ( 1881-1951) sec R C Lupton (1897-1900) St. Matthew's 8 & 10 Audley Range (1881-1947) Galligreaves Hall (1897-1903) sec J Hacking (1897-1900) Bonsall Street (1903) Ewood & Hollin Bank Bolton Road (1895-1951) architects Sames & Green Northgate Spew Spout Road. (1903) Arthur Cliffe (1900) St. Luke's and St. Peter's (1912-51) St. Matthew's 8/10 Audley Range (1912-51) St. Mark's Redlam Witton (1881-1925) Preston Old Road (1915-2002) St. Paul's 6 Victoria Street (1870) Montague Street St. Peter's and St. Paul's 37 King street (1881) Montague Street (1926-51) Roe Lee (1889-1915) Outram Street (1915)

Conservative (Society) and Unionist Registration Association (Borough) 8 Clayton Street (1870)

18a Fleming Square (1878-1909) 39 Mincing Lane (1924-47) Lord St West (1951-8)

Formed 11 February 1835 chairman John Hargreaves, secretary Peter Ellingthorpe, president J F Hindle, vice-president William H Hornby.

secretary & agent: John Waring (1870) David Schofield (1878) E Holt (1897-1900) G G Dickinson (1909)

secretary: F Maxwell (1924-35) agents: George E Rush (1942) David Geddes (1946-7) Tom Demain (1951)

Conservatory Corporation Park was made by W Richardson & Sons of Darlington and was opened on 16th May 1900. Ainsworth & Sons of  Northgate Blackburn made and erected the clock in 1900. The heating was installed in 1921. The whole of the ironwork was renovated in 1979-81 and the clock restored in 1994

Convent of the Legio Mariae St. Alban's Place (1939-47)

Convent and Orphanage (Franciscan) 24 East Park Road (1939)

Convent of the Sisters of Nazareth 3-4 St. Alban's Place (1915); Nazareth House Preston New Road (1930-51)

Convent of the Sisters of Notre Dame (ladies' boarding school) (1850-1969) Paradise Street (1850); Whalley (New) Road (1870-1909) Brookhouse; The house of Edward Kenworthy, called Brookhouse Lodge, was purchased in February 1859 and converted into a ladies' boarding school in 1878. The private chapel was served by the priests of St. Alban's R C Church.                            superioress: Sister St. John of the Cross (1889)

The Notre Dame convent and girls' Grammar School demolished in 1990

Convent of Notre Dame preparatory school Heathfield Meins Road (1951)

Convent (St. Annes') Franciscan (Orphanage) 7, 9 & 11 Princes Street (1903-51); Staveley 24 East Park Road (1930-51);

Conway Avenue (1966)

Coo Hill (1844-1938) house in Witton Park off to the right from the drive opposite from St. Mark's Church

Cook's Folly (1836-1929) Clayton Street (Shorrock Street 1878-1929) Grimshaw Park

Cook Street (1878-1980) 45 Higher Eanam Nos 3-21 and 2-16

Cook's Yard (1929-59) off Nab Lane

Cook Street Mill Higher Eanam (1881-1903) William Grimshaw cotton doublers & heald yarn manufacturer 1047 spindles sewing cottons etc.

Coopers Fold Farm (1841-1915) Ramsgreave                         James Hargreaves (1851-70)

Cooper's Court (1872) St Mary's Ward

Cooper Street (1870-1959) 14 Greaves Street

Cop (1851)

Copie (1750)

Copperfield Street (1888-1980) Dombey Street Nos 1-23 and 8-42

Coppice (House) Farm (1750-1966) Broken Stone Road / Roman Road Livesey            George Ireland (1870)

Copster Hill Farm (1902-66) Haslingden Road Guide                                                E Smalley (1966)

Copy House Farm (1900-15) Roman Road Whinny Heights

Copy Nook (1832) 71 Higher Eanam Nos 3-53 and 2-84

Copy Square (1851-1941) Copy Street off Dock Street

Copy Street (1852) Mill Street / 4 Dock Street Copynook

Cornelian Street (1903) Pearl Street Nos 1-55

Cornelian Terrace (1912-47) Cornelian Street

Corn Holme (1750)

Corn Meadow (1750)

Corn Mill Cottages (1903-49) Appleby Street Daisyfield

Coronation Avenue (1980)

Coronation House (1903) 25 Furthergate

Coronation Street (1929-66) 38 Windham Street

Coronation Terrace (1903) Nos 1-19

Coronation Terrace (1903-41) Coronation Street / Windham Street

Coronation Terrace (1903-41) William Holt Street / Highbury Place 3 houses

Coronation Walk the path through the cathedral grounds from Darwen Street to the Boulevard

Coroner's Office (Blackburn)

9 Shorrock Fold Church Street (1870-8) 2 King Street (1881-1903) 3(15) Richmond Terrace (1912-29)

2 Corporation Street (1930-47) New Market Street (1948-58) Lord St West (1951) New Market Street (1960s)

coroner: Henry Unsworth Hargreaves (1870-8) Henry J Robinson (1881-1912) D N Hazelwood (1915-25) T R Thompson (1930-47) G Wightman (1951)

Coroner's Office (for the County of Lancaster Blackburn District), 2 Corporation Street (1930-47); 27-29 Victoria Street (1951-8)                                               coroner: T R Thompson (1930-47); H Backhouse (1951)

Corporation Baths

a) Freckleton Street (1868-1958) opened on 11th July 1868 and extended in 1884 at a cost of £7,750. Cover

an area of 2,350 sq yds. consisting one first-class bath (60ft x 34 ft) with 31 dressing boxes; one second class bath (60 ft x 33 ft) with 46 dressing boxes; 26 slipper baths for men and 10 for women. One bath demolished when it developed a leak in 1950. The rest was closed in 1969.

lessee: Peter Johnson (1878); superintendents: George Crompton (1881) William Townley (1885-1903) Ralph Holden (1909-25) T Gerrard (1930-5) T Walmsley (1942) (all baths) F Walmsley (1946-7) Harold Wilkinson (1951)

Cross Street baths (1870) St. Peter's                                                      superintendent: William Hallas (1870)

b) Belper Street (1906-2001) built at a cost of £9,328 covering 2798 sq. yds. opened on 10th July 1906. The plunge was 75ft by 30ft being 6ft 6ins to 3ft deep. 47 dressing cabins, 1 children's dressing room, balcony seating, slipper baths for 17 males and 20 females, 3 foam bath suites and 1 Russian bath. Daisyfield Pools revamped in 1982 at a cost of £1.5m included the replacement of the old plunge. 

superintendent: I Cotton (1909-30); G Cotton (1930);  J Gerrard (1935-9); F Walmsley (1947-51);

c) (Ladies') Blakey Moor (opened 1911-58)

instructress: Miss Lois Hodgson (1911-48) superintendent: J Barnes (1930);

d) Shadsworth Community Centre bath opened in 1974. Consisted of 25m pool.

e) Waves Barton Street opned in 1984 at a cost of £3.5m

Corporation Car Park Ewood (1947) Duke Street (1956)

Corporation Cleansing Department Pembroke Street (1947)

Corporation Destructor Works Wensley Fold (1947)

Corporation Electricity Works Jubilee Street                                                  see Electricity

Corporation Highways Department Store Yard Pembroke Street (1947)

Corporation Library 83 Havelock Street (1951)

Corporation Park Preston New Road is delightfully situated on the side of Revidge Hill occupying about 50 acres the land (increased later to 65 acres) was purchased from Joseph Feilden in January 1855. As a condition the corporation were required to construct roads on the East and West sides of the park. The natural advantages of the site were skillfully enhanced by planting shrubberies and groves of young trees; and by the construction of ornamental walks, fountains and picturesque lakes. The work under the direction of Messrs Henderson and McGregor of Birkenhead proceeded rapidly the total costing being over £14,700, a third of which came from the sale of part of the Town Moor to the various railway companies. The park was opened on 22nd October 1857 during the mayoralty of William Pilkington who presented 4 ornamental fountains. The largest of which is near the principle entrance on Preston New Road. There are two lakes in the centre containing waterfowl of various types these were known as 'the Can' and the 'Big Can' and were part of the Pemberton Clough Waterworks, the town's original water supply. The water was conveyed in wooden pipes to stand-pipes on various street corners where daily it was sold by the bucketful until the water mains were laid in 1847. On the highest part is a stone battery, which once contained two Russian cannons captured in the Crimean War and presented to the town. The cost up to the day of opening was £14,701 19s 5d. It included a large conservatory teahouse and an ideal bandstand. Added later were new Band-stand (17/9/1909) 3 bowling greens on 30 May 1923 and 4 tennis courts on the broad walk and a further tennis courts nearer the top of the park.

superintendant: Thomas Foxcroft. (1878-81) A Stratford (1897-1909) E Winsor (1924-35)

W H Watson (1942-7) H Aspden (1951)

The conservatory built in 1856 and the Park Entrance arch and lodges built in 1855 by Messrs Roberts and Walmsley were Grade 2 listed in 1974.

The bandstand was removed for the war effort in 1941. The whole park was Grade 2 listed on the English Heritage's Register of Historic Parks and Gardens in 1996. The park was upgraded to Grade 2+ in 2013 by English Heritage.

Corporation Park Myope (partially sighted) school West Park Road (1948-51)

Corporation Park Open Air School (1924-5)

Corporation Park Supporters Group (2000)

Corporation Store Yard (1941) Islington

Corporation Street (1870) 6 Astley Gate 1-7 and 2-6

Corporation Transport office 15/17 Railway Road (1946-51)

Corporation Tramways Department Holme Street (1929) 65 Church Street (1930-5) Railway Road (1941)                                                                                                                      general manager: J H Cowell (1930-5)

Cort Street (1844-1966) New Market between 33 Ainsworth Street and Victoria Street Nos 1-13 and 2-12

Cort Street (Back) (1878) Union Street

Corwen Close (1980)

Cottage Homes for Children                                                                   see Blackburn Cottage Homes

Cottage Row (1851-1949) Park Place / Pilkington Street (1929) Lower Audley

Cotton Court (1852-72) Whalley Road

Cotton Exchange and Newsroom King William Street the foundation stone was laid by the Mayor J B S Sturdy on 10th March 1863 on the celebration of the wedding of HRH Albert Edward, Prince of Wales and HRH the Princess Alexandra of Denmark and opened April 1865. Designed by William Hayward Brackspear of Manchester the High Victorian gothic south wing was never built. It was built by Patrick Farrell to provide a weekly meeting place for those engaged in the cotton business. The company formed to run the exchange was the Blackburn Exchange Co. Ltd. chairman: James Cunningham (1863); secretary: Thomas Crook Ainsworth (1863); L Edleston (1889); superintendent: William Roylance (1870); manager: William Kenyon (1903-12); Robert Pearson (1915). Used as a lecture hall, concert hall, 3 day fair venue and a temporary theatre it opened as a cinema in 1912 as Exchange Picture Hall and was revamped as the Majestic cinema in 1924 then New Majestic cinema in 1932. Re-named the Essoldo in (1954), then the Classic (1967) followed by Unit Four (1981) and finished as the Apollo 5 (1992-2005). In 1975 the white stucco was removed to reveal the original stonework. Grade 2 listed in 1985. 2012 saw a group of volunteers come together to save the Exchange. The charity "Re:Source Blackburn" was created by Re:Ignite Church to buy the building for the town.

Cotton (Operative) Spinners' (and Manufacturers') Association Exchange Street (1870) 20 Ainsworth Street (1878) 13 Richmond Terrace (1881) 7 & 9 Peter Street (1885-1925)

secretary: Joseph Watson (1878-81) J Johnson JP (1897-1925) solicitors: Ainsworth & Son (1870)

Cotton Street (1844-1980) 11 Whalley (New) Road Brookhouse

Cotton Supply and Manufacturers' Association Exchange Street (1870)            solicitors Ainsworth & Sons (1870)

Cotton Town (www.cottontown.org) project (2002-9) digitalised 1500 images at the Blackburn with Darwen Library and Information Services funded by New Opportunities Lottery Fund

Cotton Trade Insurance Association 12 Darwen Street (1912-5); 12 Railway Road (1930);                                                                                                            secretary: John Taylor (1912-15); J H Townley (1930);

Council of Cathedral Builders Central Chambers Richmond Terrace (1939-58)    

secretary: Rev.W Kay MA (1939-51)

Council Chamber Town Hall. Last Meeting of Town Council in old chamber held 2nd April 1914 the first having been held on 30th October 1856. A new chamber opened 2nd May 1921

Council for Voluntary Service (Blackburn, Hyndburn & Ribble Valley) (1992) St. John's Centre Victoria Street

Countess Road (1980)

County Borough of Blackburn Maternity and Child Welfare Centres (1924-51)

57 Copy Nook (1924-5); Nova Scotia School (1924-5); Kendal Street School (1924-5); Parochial Hall Griffin (1924-30): Victoria Street (1935-47); All Saints' School, Bolton Road (1935-47); Throstle Street (1935-47); Duke Street (1935-47); Bent Street (1935-47); Kendal Street (1935-47); Griffin (1935-47); Parochial Hall, Hozier Street (1935-47); Cornelian Street (1935-51):

County Borough of Blackburn School Clinic Victoria Street (1930)

County (Conservative) Club (an association of gentlemen) (1877-81) 1 New Market Street Blackburn formed prior to 1877.                                              hon. sec: Hy J Robinson (1878-1903) steward Henry Walmsley (1878-81)

County Constabulary Office / Station 51 King Street opened 27th August 1873 at a cost of erection of £4,000 including furnishing at £400. Court-room 49ft by 40ft magistrate's room superintendent's house 2 constables' houses and 4 cells.

superintendents: Edwin Sheppard (1852-8); W Read (1870); Isaac Bryning (1878-81); John Myers (1889-1903); J S McKeand (1912-15); E J Swaites (1930-9); R C Floyd (1947);

County Court House and Offices Victoria Street built to the designs of Charles Reeves the foundation stone was laid by Robert Segar QC on 13th May 1861 and opened in March 1864 (7th May 1862). The building cost £8,000 and was built by Henry Aspden of Blackburn. It was built of Burnley stone and Mill Hill bricks. It covered an area of 650 sq yds the court room being 49ft by 29ft 9ins. Court day was Monday. Re-built and opened in 1912.

Judge William Adam Hulton (1870-85) registrar John Bolton (1870-97) chief clerk Henry T Platts (1878) high bailiff James Whiteside (1870-81) His Honour Judge Coventry (1897-1903) registrar J Nowell Withers (1900-15) His Honour Judge Hans Hamilton (1909-12) His Honour Judge H M Sturgess KC (1915) His Honour Judge F E Bradley (1924-30) His Honour Judge R Peel KC (1935-51) registrars Robert Bremner (1924-42) and W Woodcock (1935-9) W J Plant (1942-51) C R Davies (1946-51)

County Hotel Darwen Street demolished in 1979

County Magistrates' Clerk's offices 32 Clayton Street (1870-1909) 36 Northgate (1912-51)                 

clerk: Thomas Ainsworth sol. (1870-89) Thomas Howson (1897-1912) James Sharples (1915-30) N Higginson (1935-51)

County Motel                                                                                                           see Moathouse Hotel

County Police Court (Station) held in smaller Court Room of the Town Hall until 1873 when the new court-house and offices for the County Constabulary were opened at 61 King Street. Designed by Mr.W S Varley  costing £4,000.    superintendents: John Myers (1885-1900) R Jump (1909) E J Swaites (1930-5) Cecil N F Lindsay (1942)

County Police Offices 1 Preston Old Road Cherry Tree (1947-51);

County Weights and Measures office Chapel Street (1947);

Court Fold (1836-1980) Paddock on left of Shear Brow above Park Avenue

Court Leet (1763) a form of local government prior to 1803 which became the Select Vestry

Court of Quarter Sessions (1886) Town Hall; Sessions House Northgate established in August 1886

recorder: Miles W Mattinson Esq KC (1897-1909) William Madden KC (1924-5) J Henry Thorpe OBE (1930-42) Wilfred Clothier KC (1946-7) S Scholefield-Allen KC MP (1951)

clerk of the peace: W E L Gaine (1897) Robert E Fox (1900) Sir Lewis Beard (1909-25) Briggs H Marsden (1930-5) Charles M Robinson (1942-7)

Courts (1941-66) Redlam 4 (2 Court) 9 (3 Court)

Court School of Dancing above Burton's on King William Street. Closed down in 1981.

Court Street (1851);

Cowell Street (1870-1966) Peel Terrace Little Peel Street Nos 1-23 and 2-64

Cowell Way (1980)

Cow Hill Fold (1786) beyond Whitebirk towards Rishton contains three homesteads of Tudor origin with one believed to be from the 14th cent.

Cowhill Lane (1966)

Cowper Street (1903-80) 284 Whalley Range Nos 3 and 2-16

Crabtree Street (1878-1980) (143)18 Harwood Street Nos 3 and 8 & 60

Craig Street (1885-1969) 88 Duckworth Street Nos 1-101 and 2-100 all now demolished

Cranborne Place (1903-29) Redlam Nos 154-164

Cranborne Terrace (1886) named after victorian statesman Darwen MP (1885-1941) Hope Terrace Nos 1-13

Cranbrook Street (1941-59) Grafton Street

Cran Moss (1750)

Crannber Meadow (1739) top of Duke's Brow

Cranshaw Drive (1980)

Craven's (1959)

Craven's Avenue (1941-59) 640 Bolton Road

Craven's Brow (1966)

Craven Croft (Creven Crofts) Farther and Nearer (1716-39) off Blakey Moor opposite where King George's Hall now stands.

Craven's Farm (1870-1996) Craven Avenue Bolton Road Lower Darwen

                                                                        James Worsley (1870); John Worsley (1870) W Smalley (1966)

Craven Heifer (1832) Whalley Road

Crediton Close (1980)

Crematorium Pleasington (1956-2001) foundation stone laid by John Stirrup Mayor of Blackburn 9/9/1954 opened by the mayor Alderman W A Henshall MC on 3/9/1956 and dedicated by the Bishop W H Baddeley

Designed by E C R Page ARIBA Chief Architect Blackburn Corporation

(The) Crescent (1930) Lammack Road

Crescent View (1878-1941) Whalley (New) Road

'Cricketer's World' (Wednesday), 18 Darwen Street (1930);              proprietor: E Walmsley (1930)

Cripples' Home opened at Livesey 13th June 1907

Crisedale Avenue (1980)

Croasdale Square (1980)

Croft (1822) top of Lord Street. James Gillies the architect erected property on the site and the caretaker's old       house was demolished and the St Leger Inn built on its foundations.

The Croft (1772)                                                                                          Mr Thomas Livesey

The Croft (1912) East Park Road / Shear Brow

Croft Farm (1881-1930) Ewood Lower Darwen                                                John Worsley jnr (1870)

Croft Head colliery (abandoned 1888) Little Harwood worked by Messrs E M Sharp of Little Harwood Collieries. Site absorbed by Phillips Road.

Croft Head House (Farm) (1843-1966) Sunny Bower Whalley Old Road Little Harwood 37 acres when sold by owner Percy Ashton sold (1911) along with Peacock Row       

                                                                        Joseph Walker (1870) James Topham (1911) H Cook (1966)

Croft Head Road (1980)

Croft Street (1903-80) 321 Bolton Road No 8

Cromer Place (1929) 21 Oozebooth Terrace 8 houses previously Spruce Street (1883)

Crompton Place (1929-80) 31 Bromley Street / Devonport Road named after George Crompton son of Samuel Crompton inventor of spinning 'mule'.

Crompton Street (1903) 7 houses

(Old) Cromwell Castle                                                                               see Lower Shadsworth Farm

Cromwell Lodge (1893-1964) Shadsworth Road was a cottage nursing home at the end of its life and was demolished in 1964

Cromwell Street (1885-1980) Chester Street Audley Range side Nos 1-35

Cromwell Terrace (1881-1941) Cromwell Street Audley Range

Cromwell Terrace (built 1887-1941) 43 Shear Brow Nos 43-61

Crook Street (1878-1966) 7 Hutchinson Street Grimshaw Park

Crook's Yard (1930-49) 113 Lower Audley Street

Crop Field Street (1851)

Crop Street (1851)

Crosby Road (1941) 30 Manxman Road

Cross Daisy Street (1870) Daisy Street

The Crosse (1740s) bought by Robert Peel in the name of William later known as Peel Fold

Crossfield House (1870-1959) Branch Road                                                   Thomas Dugdale Jnr

Crossfield mill Nova Scotia (1844) owned by Robert Hopwood & Son cotton manufacturers later owned by owned by W D Coddington & Sons (1870-1930 exors) cotton spinners & manufacturers also Ordnance Wellington & New Mills 96,470 spindles 1817 looms and Codling & Hodgkinson (1902-15) cotton spinners & manufacturers

Cross Field (Crossfield) Street (1844-80) 37 Grimshaw Park No 6

Crossfield (1941) Branch Road Livesey

Cross Fold Farm (1832-1959) Brandy House Brow                                        John Duckworth (1832)

Cross Hill House (1890)

Crosshill Road (1903) 303 Preston New Road 2 houses (1903) Holm Bush and Wywill Place

Crosshill Special school (1969) Crosshill Road (1992-99) Shadsworth Road

Crosshill Tennis club (1955)

Cross Hills (1878-1959) 303 Preston New Road

Cross Hill View (1903-41) Selborne Street Witton

Cross Hill Villas (1929) 301 Preston New Road

Cross Keys (1750)

Cross Street (1929-41) 23 Branch Road Livesey

Cross Street (1818-70) Brookhouse Lane

Cross Street (1838-70) Chapel Street

Cross Street (1870-1941) Furthergate / Accrington Road

Cross Street (1870) Haslingden Road

Cross Street (1832-72) Park Road Grimshaw Park

Cross Street (1903-80) Lower Darwen Nos 2-12

Croston Close (1980)

Croston Street (1899) 60 Accrington Road

Crown Brewery Canterbury Street owned by Bourn & Mercer (1878) ale & porter brewers

Crown Street (1851-1966) (12)117 Harwood Street

Crow Trees Farm (1870-1959) Benson Street, Little Harwood Whalley Old Road Henry Holden (1870)

Croydon Street (1903) Cheltenham Street Nos 1-17

Crumphead Buildings (1851)

Crystal Place (1929-41) Whalley New Road

Crystal Springs Bleach Works Pearl Street started by John Higson & James Byrne before 1896. Kershaw & Co. Ltd. took over in 1905 went into receivership 1933 and machinery sold off 1935. Corporation bought and cleared site in 1964

Crystal Terrace (built 1903) Whalley New Road

Cuckoo Hall (1786-1959) Cucken Hall (1831) off Lammack Road Nos 1/2/4

Cuckoo (Hall) Brow (1929-1980) Lammack Road

Culshaw Street (1878-1980) 34 Higher Eanam Nos 1 & 2

Culvert Street (1903-80) 152 Lower Audley Street Nos 1-35

Cumberland Street (1870-1980) 35 Audley Lane Nos 1-33 and 2-76

Cumpstead Buildings (1872) Christ Church Ward

Cumpstey Street (1844-1980) 23 Hutchinson Street Grimshaw Park

Cumpstey Street Mill owned by Edward Briggs & Co cotton manufacturers (1894) then Banister Bros. and Moore Ltd (1902) later owned by Hopwood Manufacturing Co Ltd (1912-22) cotton manufacturers

Cunliffe (Cundlyffe, Cunlyffe) (1622)

Cunliffe Close (1980)

Cunliffe Moss Fold also Bullion Moss (1818-91) off Mire Ash Mellor

Cunliffe Road (1980)

Cunningham (House) Fold (1836-1949) Seven Acre Brook

Cunningham Place (1870-1980) 102 Montague Street Nos 2-22

Cunningham Street (1852) Bank Top

Curzon Place (1980)

Curzon Street (1903-66) 31 Belgrave Street Witton Nos 1-3 and 2-14

Customs & Excise (and Old Age Pensions) office 137 Preston New Road (1912-48)

Supervisor 1st District: P O'Shea; supervisor 2nd District: Thomas Waddington (1912)

Surveyor 1st District: J Walsh; surveyor 2nd District: Thomas Waddington (1915)

Regent House Regent Street (1951-8); Broseley House (1960s);

Cut Lane (1966)

Cutler Close (1980)

Cutler Street (1878-1966) 6 Cowell Street

C W L Forces Social Canteen 22 Northgate (1942)                             manageress: Mrs M Tomlinson (1942)

Cycling - Hill Climbs in Blackburn

The North Lancs Road club staged hill climbs in Blackburn. 2 in the 1950s up Shear Brow and 3 in the 1960s up Oozehead Lane (1963,64 & 65) Oozehead Lane was 302 yrds with average gradient of 1 in 6.1. 1963 winner Carl Barton of Coventry Road club in 46.79 secs never to be bettered

Cypress Ridge (1980)

'Daily Star' Railway Road (14/10/1902-3)                                    Crown Newspaper Co. Ltd. Daisy Field (1852)

Dairy Street (1899) Nos 106-122

Daisyfield (1844)

Daisyfield CP School Clinton Street (opened June 1971) replacing Moss Street School on same site. 2 classrooms and entrance extension opened by Lord Patel May 2001

Daisyfield flats three multi-storey flats completed in 1965.    

Daisyfield Co-operative Society (1870) grocers etc 62 Whalley Old Road (1870); 56 Harwood Street (1870); 36 Birley Street (1870); Audley Lane (1870);

Daisyfield Industrial Bees Co-operative Society Ltd. (1861-1915) grocers, drapers, butchers, cloggers, shoemakers, coal merchants 22, 24, 26, 27 & 29 Peter Street built in 1871 re-built in 1901, opening on 22nd March 1902 and demolished in 1968.

Branches: 56 Harwood Street (1878); 54 Trinity Street (1878); 15 & 96 Audley Lane (1878); 52 Scotland Road (1878); 50 & 52 Whalley Range (1878); 10 Plane Street (1878); 10 Audley Range (1878-81);

manager: James Hargreaves (1878-81); secretary: Thomas Wolstenholme (1878); William Wolstenholme (1881);

Offices: Belper Street; Central Stores: Peter Street;

Branches: 71 Harwood Street; 54 Trinity Street; Audley Lane; 52 Scotland Road; 50 Whalley Range; 10 Plane Street; 89 & 262 Audley Range; 29 Furthergate; 74 Withers Street, Church Hill; 455 Whalley New Road; 4 Ordnance Street; Navigation Bridge; Knuzden (1908);

            manager: James Grunshaw; treasurer Harry Corlett; secretary James T Ainsworth. (1903)

         manager: T Ainsworth (1912-15); secretary: Rixon Hindle (1912-15)

Daisyfield Junction where the Hellifield line left the main line to Rishton

Daisyfield Methodist Free Church (1889)

Daisyfield mill (1844) owned by John Sharples & Co cotton spinners and manufacturers later owned by William Forrest (1870) cotton spinner & manufacturer then John Dugdale & Sons (1893-1958) cotton spinners & manufacturers see Cherry Tree mill.

Daisyfield Mill built early1870s as a corn mill. Owned by Joseph Appleby & Sons (1878-1903) corn millers purchased by Graham & Brown wallpaper manufacturers (1967) as a warehouse and distribution centre but closed in 1987 after 134 years. Now used by Granada TV Studios and others as offices etc.

Daisyfield Play & Community Centre (1996)

Daisyfield Sawmills (1903) T A Aspden & Sons (1903)

Daisyfield Shed (1891) William Carr operated 442 looms jacconettes shirtings mulls twills satteens stripes spots dice checks plain and coloured handkerchiefs and cloths 22 to 56 inches wide.

Daisyfield Siding (1912-30) Florence Street

Dsisyfield Signal box (1873) type 6 Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway by Saxby & Farmer. Modernised 2007 withnew windows stairs and toilet extension. Grade 2 listed 2013.

Daisyfield Station (1881-1958) Moss Street closed 1958

Daisyfield Street Moss Bridge (1966)

Daisy Hill (1824)

Daisy Lane (1929-41) 46 Whalley Old Road

Dais(e)y Street (1851-1980)117 Birley Street / Peter Street Daisy Field Nos 5-159 and 38-122

Daisy Street Mill Daisy Street owned by Daisyfield Cotton Spinning & Manufacturing Co Ltd (1870-8) then Hollinshead Mill Co Ltd (1902) later by Daisyfield Ring Co Ltd (1912-15) cotton spinners followed by John Dugdale & Sons Ltd (1939) cotton spinners & manufacturers

Dalby Crescent (1980)

Dalby Lea (1980)

Dalby Road (1941-59) Park 115 Pilmuir Street

Dale Crescent (1980)

Dale Street (1818-1980) 41 Whalley Banks King Street

Dalton Street (1878-1966) 74 Skiddaw Street / St Thomas' Street Nos 2-18

Dame Evelyn Fox Special School (1992-99) Roman Road

Dam Heys (1750)

Dam Hey's Bridge (Smalding) owned by Whittakers (1889) a wooden turn-bridge over the canal on the site of the present Audley bridge

Dam Meadow (1716) Lower Audley

Dandy Row (1851) cottages Revidge No 2 (1903)                                                       see Mile End Row

Dandy Square (1872) off Revidge                                                                                   see Dinkley Square

Dandy Square / Eccles Street (1870) Jubilee Street

Dandy Walk (1795) (Occupation Road 1830) is a small alley from the side of the old Post Office (now The Postal Order) at 17 Darwen Street through to the Boulevard that came out along side the old Palace Theatre. Originally it was flagstones built into the church wall along the Blakewater from Salford to Darwen Street (see Gossip About Old Blackburn – Luke S Walmsley Blackburn Weekly Telegraph 16/8/1919). At the Blakewater the crossing was made by “hipping stones" as early as 1849 later a footbridge was built. It contained Dandy Walk factory (see Jubilee Mill) from which it got its name, which was the subject of riots and a blacksmith's forge, later a bill posting company. No mention is made of Dandy Walk on Gillies' map of 1824. In later years the home of Blackburn & District Billposting Co.

Darwen Street (1795) previously Church Street Neville's still there in 1954 Nos 1-121 and 9-136

Darwen Street Bridge built 1621 demolished in 1872 when roadway was widened and present iron bridge erected.

Darwen Street Railway Bridge re-constructed for the Lancashire & Yorkshire Railway Co. by Foster Yates and Thom starting in January 1884 and finishing in August 1885. Re-furbished 2000.

Daub Hall (1836) Ouzehead

Davy Field (Davye Feeld) (1609)

Davy Field Brow (1966)

Dawlish Close (1980)

Dawson Fold (1843) beyond Alum Scar

Dawson, William (1864) Jubilee Street shuttle works

Day Industrial School (1903) Mayson Street                            superintendent: Miss Sarah Quayle

Day Nursery Holden House 85 Preston New Road (1947)                matron: Miss Oliver Hamer (1947)

Deaf and Dumb Institute 65 Northgate (1897-1900) Victoria Street (1909-35) Kendal Street (1941-58)                        hon sec: W H F Sames (1897-1900) W Armistead (1909) chaplain: Rev T H Sutcliffe MA (1946-51)

Deal Street (1900-80) Baywood Street Nos 2-8

Dean Street (1870-1941) 13 Canterbury Street / Cobden Street Islington Nos 1-9 and 2-28 demolished 1971

Deganwy Ave (1959)

Delamere Street (1941-59) off Marsden Street

Delf (Delph) Lane (1899) Audley Range

Delf (Delph) Street (1851-1980) 30 Haslingden Road

Delius Close (1998)

Delph Approach (1980)

Delph Close (1980)

Delph Top (Farm) (1872) St Thomas' Parish

Dent Street (1844) Leyland St / Montague St

Denville Road (1980)

Denville Street (1929-66) St Paul's Street / Barley Lane previously Snig Brook

(Nancy) Derbyshire Alms Houses St. Silas' Road built in 1895. Designed by Stones and Gradwell of Blackburn they were opened by James Hargreaves, chairman of the trustees on 20th June 1895. They were built of stone and comprised a porch, a living room, 2 bedrooms, a scullery and an outside toilet.

Derby Place (1878) 52 Shear Brow

Derby Street (1870-1980) 102 Whalley Old Road Nos 3-65 and 16-86

Derby Street United Methodist Free church (bef 1895)

Derbyshire House (1929-41) 18 Alexandra Road

Der(e)ham Street (1878-1980) 6 Mosley Street Nos 4-14

Derikins Street (1851-1959) Brookhouse 39/45 Whalley New Road

Derikins Street (1870) Duckworth Street

Derrikens (Derikins) (1788) Whalley Road now known as Brookhouse

Derrikens Bleach Crofts started by Hugh Stuart & Co. in 1796. Leased by James Bealey of Radcliffe 1788. Closed 1809. A size house operated by John Hornby & partners and in 1828 Hornby & Birley built Brookhouse Mills on the site.

Derrikens Bridge Whalley New Road                                                    see Bridges

Derwent Place (1912-41) 331 Bolton Road

Derwent Place (1878-1941) 98/100 Preston New Road

Derwent Street (1941-59) 51 Montague Street

Derwent Terrace (1870) Preston New Road

Derwent Villas (1870)                                                                                Edward Healey (1870)

Destructor Bennington Street. Marked by the tallest chimney (312 ft) in the country when built. Erected in Accrington brick by the corporation at a cost of £2,550 in 1888 it was eventually demolished in 1959.

Corporation Destructor works: Wensley Fold (1930-51);

Deviling (1900) Blackamoor Road Guide

Devonport Road (1929-41) previously Sarah Ellen Street 131 Montague Street

Devon Road (1941-66) 249 Accrington Road

Devonshire Court (1980)

Devonshire Road (1966)

Dewhurst Farm (1915) Wilpshire

Dewhurst Street (1870-1980) 31 Higher Audley Street Nos 1-103 and 22-94

Dewhurst Street mill Audley owned by Barker, Marsh & Co Ltd had 312 looms (1930-1958) previously owned by Richard Thompson (1878-1903) cotton manufacturer 460 looms shirtings and Howarth Nuttall Ltd (1903-22) cotton manufacturers and then George Taylor (1922)

Dick Dadd's (1938) Ramsgreave

'Dick Snowdrop's Comic Journal '109 King Street (1878)    printer & publisher George Brooks (1878)

Dickens Fellowship Blackburn Branch No 107 (1935-6);

Dickens Street (1885-1980) Dombey Street Nos 51-103

Dickinson Close (1980)

Dickinson Street (1878-1941) named after ironfounder William Dickinson 46 Duckworth Street Nos 3-41 and 2-16

Dickinson Street Mill (1915) owned by Shakespeare Mill Co Ltd cotton manufacturers

Didsbury Street (1929-41) 59 Accrington Road

Didsbury Street Mill owned by Britannia Mill Manufacturing Co (Gt. Harwood) Ltd (1912-39) and Thomas Kay Ltd (1912-15) cotton manufacturers

Dickinson, William & Sons (1827-64) Phoenix Iron works looms carding & grinding machines

Dimmock Street (1929-80) 26 Peel Street

Dinckley Square (1851-1941) off Revidge Road

Dingfield (1929-41) 73 Preston New Road

Diocese of Blackburn founded 5 November 1926 having been taken out of the Diocese of Manchester it in turn taken out of the Diocese of Chester in 1847. Consists of the two Archdeaconries of Blackburn and Lancaster, which are divided into ten Deaneries:- Accrington, Blackburn, Burnley, Leyland and Whalley in the Blackburn Archdeaconry and The Fylde, Garstang, Lancaster, Preston and Tunstall in the Lancaster Archdeaconry.

Diocese of Blackburn Moral Welfare Council 40b Preston New Road (1930-47)

secretary: F M Girdler (1930); A J Hogarth (1935);

Diocesan Board of Finance Cathedral Close Church Street (1947-51)      secretary: E L S Walker (1947-51)

Dippers Chapel (1836) Grimshaw Park

Disinfecting and Cleansing Station Throstle Street (1924-60s)

Dispensary for Sick Animals of the Poor Brewery Street (1935);

Disraeli Street (1878-1980) 77 Infirmary Street / 28 Hall Street Nos 1-35 and 2-22 named after Benjamin Disraeli Prime Minister (1868/ 1874-80)

District Bank building King William Street erected July 1852 W Stones architect

District Club 2 Library Street (1878-1925) Higher Church Street (1935-9) 11 Church Street (1930-9) 1 West Park Road (1942-2002) merged with the Reform club

hon. secs. James Porter and Edward Brooks (1878-81); steward: William H Farrer (1878) J H Place (1881) R Greenwood and T Houlker (1885) secretary: George E Stones (1889) Ralph Bell (1897) H N Dixon 1900) E Livesey Dixon (1903) J Hargreaves (1909) Guy Waterworth (1912-15) H Backhouse Jnr (1924-5) C T Stirrup (1930) A R Sames (1935) G Haworth (1939) N Isherwood (1942-51)

District Nurses Home Byerden House Freckelton Street (1900) St. Peter Street (1909-46)                                                                                                                                see Blackburn Nurses' Home

Provident Office 3 Mill Lane (1946-7)                              matron: Miss E Chadwick (1900)

Dixon Court (1878-1941) Brook Street Spring Bank Terrace Livesey

Dixon Street (1870-1980) 112 Bank Top Nos 25 and 34-36

Dixon Street Mill owned by Bank Top Mill Co Ltd (1901-58) had 574 looms in 1958

Dock Street (1844-1941) 9 Higher Eanam Nos 17/21 and 34-46 Windmill Works (1903)

Dombey Street (1929-80) 24 Audley Range

Dominium Road (1958) Silas

Dorchester Close (1966)

Dorothy Street (1941-58) Mill Hill

Dorritt Street (1929-41) Copperfield Street

Dorset Road (1966)

Dorset Street (1870-1959) 21 Forrest Street

Double Street (1872-1966) (now West View Place) No 2 (1903)

Douglas Place (1929) Whalley New Road

Dover Close (1980)

Dover Street (1903-80) Mill Brook Street Lower Darwen Nos 1-27 and 14

Down Street (1929-59) 254 Bolton Road

Downham Street (1899-1980) after 124 Johnston Street Nos 151-191 and 126-196

Draw Well situated opposite to the Fleming Square bank corner as early as 1647 had a circular stonewall around it

Drinking Fountains

a)    Mrs. Lewis' Mission Peter Street

b)    Memorial to Alderman Dixon Darwen Street Bridge. Removed 2001 re-sited in Fleming Square

c)    Big Lamp Salford

d)    Cemetery Gates presented by Councillor Culshaw in 1900

e)    Memorial to Randle Francis Feilden Preston Old Road entrance to Witton Park. In disuse by 1910 and removed 1932

f)     Corner of Bridge Street and Jubilee Street (1894) in station wall

g)    Memorial to George Dewhurst on front of Market House

Troughs

h)   Left hand side of Pleckgate Road near Aspinall Fold (1894)

i)     Fountain Inn Accrington Road (1894)

j)      Sudell Cross (1894)

k)    Junction of Salford and High Street (1894)

l)     Griffin Inn Redlam

Dryden Street (1878-1966) Harwood Street opposite 11 Hutton Street Nos 7-21 and 2-18

Dry Dock (1929-58) Eden Street

Duchess Street (1903-41) 24 Fore Street Lower Darwen Nos 5-9 and 2-24

Duck Loom House (1851) Feniscowles

Duckworth Field mill George Street West owned by Baguley & Driver (1870) cotton manufacturers also Rowland Baguley (1878) shuttle & bobbin manufacturers and Thomas Driver & Co (1878) cotton spinners & manufacturers then St Paul's Mill Co. Ltd. (1887-94) 955 looms shirtings mulls and jacconettes followed by E Graham & Co Ltd (1902-30) cotton manufacturers

Duckworth Hall pit (1830-84) George Yates leased it to Simpson & Young in early 1850s. The shafts were deepened to the Lower Mountain Mine and eventually the workings connected to those of Aspen Colliery closing in (1884) and then possibly used as a pumping pit for the Aspen Colliery (1896).

Duckworth Pitt Fields (1716) Audley

Duckworth's Buildings (1872) St Thomas' Parish

Duckworth Street (1851) King Street 83 Whalley Banks Nos 3-87 and 14-88

Duckworth Street (1878) 83 Whalley Road

Dugdale, John & Sons Soho Foundry (1864) iron founders & machine makers, machine manufacturers

Dugdale Street (1878-1959) Leyland Street / 7 Cooper Street Nos 13-23

Dugdale's Terrace (1903-41) Lansdowne Street Witton Nos 78-92

Duke of Lancaster's Yeomanry (Blackburn Troop) St. Peter's Street          Captain Huntingdon D S O. (1903)

Duke of Sussex Street (1878-1980) Livesey

Duke Street (1795) 71 Northgate named after Duke of Kent No 25

Duke Street Mill owned by William Greenwood cotton manufacturers (1894) then Arthur Shutt & Co Ltd (1902-22) cotton manufacturers

Duke's Brow (1844) 56 Preston New Road Nos 1-177 and 2-172 previously Bank Brow No 4 a weavers cottage

Duke's Brow Liberal Club                                                                                    secretary: E Brook (1889)

Duke's Brow Wesleyan School Chapel congregation left in 1879 to attend Trinity Chapel Preston New Road

Duke's Cliffe (1870) 18 Duke's Brow                                                      Thomas Copeland (1870)

Duke's Villas (1878) 14/16 Duke's Brow

Duke Terrace (1903-41) 9 New Bank Road

Dundee Drive (1980)

Dun Horse Yard (1851);

Dunoon Drive (1958) Shadsworth

Dunsop Street (1903) off 15 Calder Street Nos 2-30

Durbar Mill Fareham Street off Didsbury Street owned by Thomas Kenyon Ltd (1922-58) had 600 looms

Durham Close (1980)

Dutch Loom (1879-1949) Albion Road / 68 Livesey Branch Road

Dutton's Brewery opened their new bottling plant on Eanam (1957) Whitbread acquired the company in 1964 (711 public houses & 100 off licences) it ceased production in 1978 and was demolished in 1986

Dutton Sports Club Larkhill Street (1935)                                                         secretary: J McLeod (1935)

Duxbury Street (1851-1966) 8 Wrigley Street / 13 Brookhouse Lane No 33

Dye and Calender Works Little Peel (1848)

Dyke-nook (1929-49) Shadsworth

Dyson Street (1885-1980) 21 Infirmary Road Nos 1-23 and 2-18​

​​back to top​​