Banner image
Back to Church of England Memorials

Page 2

The names of those who died are:
Abbott, Fred; Abbott, George; Airey, William; Balshaw, Stephen; Booth, William; Chadwick, George; Coupe, James; Dodgson, Richard; Eccles, Fred; Eccleston, John; Eddleston, John H.; Farrer, Ernest; Farrer, James; Green, Arthur; Hacking, Fred; Harrison, Henry; Haworth, Andrew; Hornby, Richard; Lee, James; Livesey, Harry; Livesey, William; Marsden, Tom; Martin, Thomas; Millins, John James; Ormanby, William; Parker, Preston; Pickup, Jim; Proctor, Thomas; Pye, John; Rimmer, William; Smith, David; Sykes, Samuel; Sykes, Walter; Thomas, John Trevor; Walmsley, William West; Wareing, James; Wareing, Thomas; Whalley, William; Whittaker, Edward.

The Pulpit was unveiled on Thursday 18th November 1920, by the Mayoress of Blackburn Mrs. Cotton, and dedicated by the Rev Henry George Sobey.
The cost of the memorials was £200.

Blackburn Times: 20th November 1920; 27th November 1927.
Blackburn Weekly Telegraph 20th November 1927
War Memorial Ref. No.: 51350​

St James Church, St. James's Road

 

St James Church is situated on St. James's-road Blackburn.
There are two Memorials in this church, a bronze tablet in memory of the 74 men of the parish and Sunday school, paid for by the parishioners and a window, paid for by the Young Men's Class. They were originally placed side by side in the south Aisle of the church.

The cast bronze tablet was designed and made by the Bromsgrove Guild, Worcestershire. Its size is height 4ft 6in (1m 38) width 5ft 4in (1M 63). t has a central panel with two smaller side wings. The top centre shows a circular panel of St. George slaying the Dragon, this is surrounded by laurel and palm leaves. At either Side of this panel is the inscription,
To the Left                                                     To the Right

To The Glory Of God                                 This Parish Who
God In Memory                                           Fell In The
 Of The Men From                                      Great War 1914-19

Then the names of the 74 men who lost their lives
A further inscription below the names reads;

Greater Love Hath No Man Than This, That A Man Lay Down His Life For His Friends.

The side wings have the names of some of the important battles fought in the war.

To the left                              To the right
Mons                                      Arras
Marne                                    Ypres
Yser                                       Somme
Lecateau                               Vimy
Gallipoli                                 Rheims
1914                                       1919

Below the Memorial and attached to it is a small tablet which says

1939 Also In Memory Of 1945

Followed by the names of the men who lost their lives in the Second Word War.

The memorial plaque is now hung on the North wall in St Paul's Chapel.

The names;
1914-1918 War;

​John E. Banister; Samuel Barrett; John G. Beardsworth; William Bennett; Stanley Blackburn; Harry Bracewell; Harold Bradshaw; William Bradbury; Robert Brown; Charles Calvert; William Clarke; Sidney J. Colter; Alfred Cook; Harry Cronshaw; John Cronshaw; Harold Cumpsty; Frank Davis; Robert Dawson; John Duerden; Fred Eastham; Richard Forrest; Joseph H. Garbutt; Harry Gillibrand; Albert Graham; James Gregory; Robert Grimshaw; Norman Hammond; James E. Hartley; John Haworth; Percy Haworth; Robert Haworth; Arthur E. Heath; William Hazell; John Holden; Arthur Ingham; Arthur Langley; Frank Lewis; Harold Lewis, James Livesey; Wilfred E. Lowe; Gilbert B. Lythe; Sam Marlor; Arthur Marsden; Tom Marsden; Harry Metcalf; John Moffat; William Morrison; John Moscrop; James Nightingale; Bertram Noble; John Nowell; Reuben Poole; Wilfred L. Poole; Robert Price; Robert Rawcliffe; James Richmond; George Rigby; Arthur Rhodes; William Ruston; Cyril Sephton; James Sharples;​ Edgar Singleton; Harry Singleton; William H. Singleton; Frank Smith; Robert Stopforth; Herbert E. Threlfall; Frank Tomlinson; John C. Tweedle; Bernard Twelvetrees; James E. Wadsworth; Edward W. Wells; Thomas Wood.

The Memorials were dedicated on Sunday 31st October 1920, by the Bishop of
Burnley, the Right Rev. Dr. Henn.​

1939-1945 War

Eric Ainsworth; Edward Biltcliffe; Stanley Blackburn; Owen Fishwick; Sidney Gillis; Frank Haworth; Sidney Heald; Jack Leech; Colin Smith; Harry Thompson; Jack Tyson.

The Memorial window depicts Sir Galahad offering his sword to Christ. It was designed by A.J. Davis and made by the Bromsgrove Guild, Wandsworth. In the bottom left corner, it says;
This window was erected by St. James young men's class
and underneath:
To the Glory of god and in memory of the members of the class who fell in the Great War 1914 1919

Blackburn Times: 30th October 1920, 6th November 1920
Blackburn Weekly Telegraph:30th October 1920
War Memorial Ref. No. 51292, 51293, ​


 

St. James's Church, Lower Darwen

St James Church is situated on Stopes Brow, Lower Darwen.
The Memorial consists of a 9ft (2.7m) high tapered pedestal of Aberdeen granite. Near the top a copper ribbon once surrounded the pedestal but now it only survives on the south face along with a buckle and a wreath.  Beneath this is the date 1914-1919 cast in bronze.

On the pedestal is the life size bronze figure of a British Soldier in uniform with head bowed, arms reversed, with the barrel of his gun resting on his left foot. The monument was enclosed in a granite kerb surrounded by a low wrought iron railing some still retaining their original pine cone top.
The Monument cost over £1000 and was designed and built by H.H. Martyn and Co., Ltd. Of Cheltenham. It was unveiled on Saturday July 29th 1922 by Colonel Arthur Birtwistle and dedicated by the Bishop of Manchester (Dr. W. Temple).

The south face of the memorial bears the inscription:

To The
Glory Of God
 And In
 Hallowed Memory
Of The Seventy- One Men
From This Parish Of
 St James' Lower Darwen/ Who Gave Their Lives In The
 Great War
Greater Love Hath No Man
 Also In The Second World War
 1939 - 45

Then follows the names of the 11 men who died in the Second World War:
William Aspin; Ernest Bamber; Harry Green; John Greenwood, Frank Marsden, Samuel Rimmer; Joseph Pomfret; William Riley; James Robinson; William Thomas; George Wilson.


 

Face 2 (1914-1919)
Harold Ainsworth; John W. Almond; John Ashworth; John Aspin; James Aspinall; Thomas E. Baldwin; John Baron; John Bentley; George Boxall; Edwin Bury; Wilfred Carney; William Catterall; Mathew Catterall; Fred Catterall; Arthur Corbridge; Thomas Desmond; Joseph Dixon; John Dobson; Richard E. Duckworth; William Entwistle; John R. Forrest; James Gardner; Ralph Gerrard; Arthur Gerrard

Face 3 (1914-1919)
Albert Graves; John Grimshaw; Edward Hargreaves; Ebenezer Haworth; Robert W. Haworth; Richard Haworth; Ernest Hayhurst; James Higham; John W. Holden; James E. Holden; Ralph Holden; Robert Holden; Walter Holden; Ralph Holden; Charles F. Howell; William Hurst; Thomas W. Jackson; George Jubb; William H. Livesey; George Longworth; Henry McGowan; James F. Mellor; Richard Jackson.

Face 4 (1914-1919)
Thomas Metcalfe; James Morris; William D. Morris; Joseph Morris; Henry Norman; Ernest Norman; John Page; John H. Pomfret; Joseph T. Pomfret; George Rostron; William F. Sames; Colin H. Sames; Robert W. Shaw; Matthew Shaw; George Taylor; John E. Walker; Osborne Walmsley; John Walmsley; Thomas Walkden William Walsh; Herbert T. Wilson; George Whalley; George T. Yates; Jonathan Yates.

Memorial was Grade II listed on 17 October, 2006, ref 496194​

Blackburn Times: 15th April 1922, 19th August 1922.
Blackburn Weekly Telegraph 22nd July 1922.
War Memorial Ref. No.: 54360


St. Johns Church

St. John's is a decommissioned church located on Victoria Street Blackburn.
The War Memorial is a stained glass window in the south side beneath the gallery.  It contains three panels. In the centre is a figure of Christ, and underneath are depicted a nurse, a wounded soldier, a sailor and a soldier. The two side panel represent St Michael and St George and are inscribed:

Ye Shall Have Tribulation.  Be Thou Faithful Unto Death,
And I Will Give Thee A Crown Of Life

And:

Blessed Are The Dead Which Die In The Lord That They May Rest From Their Labour.

Beneath the window are the Words:

To The Glory Of God, And To Commemorate All Who Fell In The Great War

Then follow the names of the 41 men who gave their lives:

Edgar Duerd; Norman Hargreaves; Clarence Duckworth; Walter Shorrock; John Yates Taylor; Arthur Aspden; Arthur William Lovesay; John Knight; Henry Hiton Taylor; Thomas Watson; Thomas Bramley; John Howson; Harry Haworth Taylor; Percy Hall; Frank Blanchard; John Andrew Baulcomb; Harry Holt; Harry Green; Fred Charles; Gilbert Hacking; John Bullough Taylor; Robert Charles Fielding; Peter Nield Asher; John Thomas Cuningham; Albert Cottam; Hilton Coup; Charles Grundy; Edward Hilton; James Howard; Harry Howard; John Hesmondhalgh; Henry Howard; John Kenyon; Ernest McTrusty; Albert Metcalf; Arthur Ormerod; Gilbert Rostron; John William Sergeant; Frank Spencer; John Atkinson Thornber; Roderick Montague Macpherson.

The window was made by Thomas Webb and Co., unveiled by Lt Col T.C. Robinson D.S.O. T.D. and dedicated on Sunday the 5th of June 1921.​

Blackburn Times: 11th June 1921
Blackburn Weekly Telegraph: 11th June 1921
War Memorial Ref. No.: 51294.

St. Jude's Church

St Jude's Church is situated on Accrington Road.
The memorial is a porch at the main entrance of the church, the width of the naive. In the porch are oak panels which have the names, inscribed in gilt lettering of the 49 men from WW1 and 9 men from WW2 who gave their lives.
It is inscribed;

To The Glory Of God And In Memory Of The Men Of St. Jude's Church
There Names Liveth For Ever More

The names are
WW1
Anderson, P.T.; Ashworth, P.; Bell, J.; Berry, J.; Bolton, J.; Bolton, R.; Bolton, T.; Bradley, J.; Bridge, J.A.; Brown, W.D.; Burton, J.; Disley, J.; Docker, W.; Duckworth, W.H.; Fielding, J.J.; Hargreaves, F.; Harman, A.; Harwood, F.; Haworth, H.; Hodgson, W.; Huxley, F.; Hyde, F.; Jarratt, R.; Lawson, R.; Lawson, W.; Lee, R.S.; Livesey, W.; Lowther, A.; Lowther, R.; Lowther, W.; Markham, J.; Metcalfe, W.; Nuttall, J.; Potts, A.; Ramsbottom, J.; Ramsbottom, R.; Reynolds, W.; Robinson, J.; Sharples, E.; Sharples, T.; Shaw, E.; Smith, D.; Smith, Jas.; Smith, Jn.; Smith, T.; Taylor, J.; Walker, J.E.; Walmsley, J.R.; Walsh, W.H

WW2
Crane, E.; Croft.; Hardman.; Mellor. R; Miller R. D.F.M.; Sumner, F.; Walmsley, J; Walmsley, J Walsh, W.G

It was erected by T. Higson and Son.
The dedication and unveiling of the original WW1 Memorial took place on Sunday the 19th December 1920 it was conducted by the vicar of Blackburn, Archdeacon Richardson.
There is also Roll of Honour containing the names of the 233 men of the parish who served in the forces in WW1. It is an oak glazed frame holding a parchment with urn and wreath, this was flanked by mounted horse men at the top. Two fluted columns flank the names with a wreath between each column at the top and a flame at the base between each column. There were wreaths at the base below the names.
An Inscription reads:

Pro Patria Roll Of Honour Et Gloria
 St Jude's Church Blackburn
 1914 List Of Men Of The Parish Who Gave Their Services In The Great War 1918
Those Who Made The Supreme Sacrifice Marked Thus +

Blackburn Times: 25th December 1920.
Blackburn Weekly Telegraph 25th December 1920.
War Memorial Ref. No.; 51302, 51303​


St Mark's Church

The Church is situated on Buncer Lane Blackburn. It is now decommissioned and for sale.
The Memorial is a screen of fumed oak surmounted by a fine carving. There are figures of angels with trumpets. In the centre is an inscription in raised gilded letters which reads:

Make Them To Be Numbered With Thy Saints In Glory Everlasting

Above these words in the centre is a large carved cross with the figures of St Mark and St, George, there are coloured shields under each of these.

The screen has richly carved and pierced panels, between these panels and the cornice are the words:

Greater Love Hath No Man Than This That A Man May Lay Down His Life For His Friend.

On the east side, below the cornice is inscribed in raised gilded letters:

Make Them To Be Numbered With Thy Saints In Glory Everlastin.

There are panels in the lower part of the screen which contain the names of the 55 men who lost their lives. They are:

Left side of the screen.
Aubrey  William Fyldes; Fredrick J. Law; James Crabtree; Robert E. Jackson; William B. Council; Henry Walton; Harry Butterworth; Thomas Dewhurst; George L. Halewood; Amos Mather; Harry Mitchell; Robert Pickering; William J. Pickering; R. Southworth; Richard Seed; William Singleton; Fred Tatlow; Allan S. Tyldsley; Thomas E. Waring; Jeffrey Johnson; John N. Nield; Thomas Nelson; George Patton; Christer Parker; John Clarkson; Harry Haworth; Joseph Waring.

Right side of the screen.
Thomas W. Arkwright; Richard Hindle; Fergus Longworth; Edward Greenhalgh; Norman Slinger, John Turner; Herbert E. Owen; Robert Pickles; Harry Turner; Thomas Riding; Robert W. Greaves; William Hayhurst; Reginald Hodgson; Isaac Jackson; Simeon Verity; Edwin Purcell; Walter Purcell; Tom Peel; Frank Bolton; Charles Bourroughs; Isaac Charles; John William Landon; Thomas B. Rodgers; William Evans; James Marsden; George Charles; J. Rushworth; Samuel Cookson.

The Memorial was unveiled Thursday 2nd November 1920 by Major James Feilden and dedicated by the Bishop of Burnley.  The cost was £80

There is also a carved wooden framed tablet which contains 50 named photographs of the fallen men. This tablet is now held at the Lancashire Infantry Museum, Fulwood.

Blackburn Times: 6th November 1920.
Blackburn Weekly Telegraph; 6th November 1920.
War Memorial Ref. No. 42289, 42290​.

 

St. Matthew's Church


St. Matthews Church was situated at Cambridge-street, Higher Audley, Blackburn.
The War Memorial at this church was a Memorial Chapel with screen and a marble tablet with the names of the 135 men who lost their lives in the Great War.
The screen, panelling, and doors were of Oak which was taken from a captured German cargo ship in 1915.
The Screen consisted of an entrance, four three-light open windows, with a blank panel at either end. On the cornice were sixteen oak shields, eight on each side. The eight shields on the outside were inscribed with the names and emblems of the battlefields of Belgium, France, Gallipoli, Salonika, Egypt, Palestine, Mesopotamia, and the "Mighty Deep". The eight shields on the inside were inscribed with the badges of The King's Royal Rifle Corps, Northumberland Fusiliers, East Lancashires, Royal Artillery, Loyal North Lancashires, Lancashire Fusiliers, The King's Own and The Royal Navy.
The painting of the shields etc., were carried out by students of the Technical College.
A tablet of white marble in a large oak frame was inscribed with the words:

To The Glory Of God This Tablet Is Dedicated In Beloved Remembrance
Of The Men From This Church And Parish Who Laid Down Their Lives
In The Great War, 1914-1919.
Then follow the names of the men.
The inscription under the names reads:

Greater Love Hath No Man Than This, That A Man Lay Down His Life For His Friends.

The names on the Memorial were under the year they died.
1914.
John Hacking; Frank Hatton; Harry Pope.
1915.
Jo​hn Anelay; Arthur Booth; Joseph Booth; E.G. Butterworth; John H. Cook; John Davies; Henry B. Dobson; James Fish; Joseph Gregson; Fred Hornby; Arthur Haymes; Robert Heaps; William Haworth; William Hilton; Fredrick Huxley; George Jones; William Lowther; Robert H. Meadows; George H. Marsh; Thomas Mather; Benjamin Pinder; Joseph Rilet; James Roberts; Victor Stones; Albert Woods; Joseph Walsh; J.H. Whittaker.
1916.
Thomas Addison; John Almond; W.B. Brotherston; H. Butterworth; John Bennett; William Duxbury; Walter Duxbury; Robert Dixon; Albert Grundy; Fred Greenwood; Harry Harman; Arthur F. Haynes; George C. Hesketh; Alfred Howson; Albert Howard; Richard Johnson; Richard Kenyon; Alfred Klemm; Charles C. Mayor; James Marsden; Ernest Munro; John Ormerod; James Robinson; Herbert Stillwell; Sidney Stone; Richard Ward; Thomas Wilson; Harold Widdup.
1917.
Walter Alston; Thomas Aspin; George Ashton; William H. Beardoe; Joseph A. Brewin; Robert Casey; Joseph Chadwick; Jack Counsell; William Finch; Richard Fielden; Joseph Garner; Herbert H. Gregson; William Glover; John Grundy; william Grundy; Robert Hargreaves; George Hartley; Hardy Hartley; William H. Haworth; Alferd; Hesketh; Ernest C. Hopley; Henry Jackson; Thomas Lee; Thomas Longworth; Harry Marsden; Arthur Mercer; Herbert Milligan; Joseph Parker; J. Ernest Parry; Walter Perkins; Thomas Roberts; Thomas Scully; James Smith; Thomas Smith; Arthur T. Waring; William Watson; John Whalley; J. Witherington; Georg W. Wright; James Walmsley.
1918.
John Aspin; Thomas E. Barcroft; Clarence Beckett; Robert Bennett; William Bradley; Fred J. Brotherston; Doctor Coupe; Henry Critchley; Thomas Danby; James Dewhurst; Myers Dubbin; Thomas Dubbin; Fredrick F. Fuller; Thomas Gregson; James Hartley; Alfred Haworth; John Haworth; Richard Hesketh; Amos Howson; James Kay; Ernest Livesey; George Nurton; Heelis Pate; William Pickup; Thomas Pilkington; James Pilkington; Walter Sharples; John T. Shaw; Thomas Shaw; Robert Smithson; Thomas H. Somers; Edwin Stanley; George Turner; William H. Ward; Albert West; Robert Woods.
1919.
James Whittaker; William Parker.
1920.
J. Brindle; John W. Riley.

On Thursday 30th June 1921, the Screen was unveiled, by John H. Hartley J.P., with the Memorial tablet being unveiled by Colonel F. Dixon D.S.O. C.M.G.  The dedication was performed by the vicar Rev Gordon Coe.
The cost of the whole Memorial was about £800.
Architects were R. Basnett of Preston, Robert Martin and the builders were Marshall and Dent, of Limbrick.

 
Blackburn Times: 2nd July 1921
Blackburn Weekly Telegraph: 2nd July 1921




 

St Oswald's, Knuzden

St. Oswald's Church, is situated at Cabin End Row, Knuzden.
The Memorial is a stone Botonee cross on a tapering octagonal shaft in the centre of the arms of the Cross is a small Pattee cross. The cross stands on a large plinth with an inscription and the names of the men who gave their lives this stands on two square stone plinths and is surrounded by a low wall with pillars at each corner.
the Inscription reads;

Erected By The Parishioners, A.D. 1921 In Grateful And
Loving Memory Of The Men Of St. Oswald's, Knuzden,
Church And Schools, Who Gave Their Lives For
God, King, And Country, In The Great War 1914–1918
Greater Love Hath No Man Than This.

The names of the 23 men who died in WW1 are;
Ashton, William; Birch, Richard; Bishop, Albert; Bolton, Richard; Brindle, James; Duckworth, William Henry; Calvert, John; Fisher Joseph Taylor; Forest, Archibald; Gabot, James; Green, John; Mercer, Cecil; Lowther, William; Metcalf, John; Robinson, Tom; Sargent, John; Smith, William; Taylor, James; Walton, James; Whalley, William; Whittaker, Tom.

The names of the 3 men who gave their lives in WW2 are;
Jackson, Walter, Roberts, Harry; Sutton Richard.

The Memorial was unveiled Sunday 13th March 1921 by Colonel Dixon D.S.O., C.M.G. and dedicated by the vicar, he Rev. H. Messiah.

Blackburn Times: March 19th 1921
Blackburn Weekly Telegraph: 19th March 1921
Wal Memorial Ref. No.: 18618.


 

St. Paul's Church

St. Pauls Church was situated on St. Paul's-street.
The Memorial took the form of an oak pulpit, the gift of the congregation and was made from oak which was part of a shipment on its way to Germany in 1915 and confiscated. The wood was offered for sale at Liverpool and some of it was purchased by Messrs Marshall and Dent, Limbrick who built and erected the pulpit. A Communion Table, oak panelling, a reading desk and a prayer desk were all given by relatives of deceased soldiers.  The Communion Table Mr. and Mrs. Airy; panelling, north side, Mr. and Miss Hindle; centre The Wilkinson family; south side, Leslie Smith, Mr. and Mrs. Hodgson, Mrs. Hindman and family of William Edmondson; the church choir and Communion Rails; Mrs. Knowles, prayer desk, Mr and Mrs. Scholes; and Bible desk Miss Parkinson.

The Memorial was unveiled on the 28th of February 1923 by the Rural Dean Canon Sinker.

Blackburn Times 7th April 1921
Blackburn Weekly Telegraph 7th April 1921
War Memorial Ref. No. 42232, 55853.


 

St. Peter's Church

St. Peter's Church was situated on Byrom Street. The church was demolished in 1976 and the Memorial lost.
Its Memorial was a side chapel, in oak, in the north east corner of the church. There were two oak screens with open tracery. The floor of oak boarding was raised by two steps to the level of the chancel. An alter and memorial reredos occupied the east wall, the north wall was finished with a panelled oak dado. The reredos was the full width of the chapel and contained four panels. The panels at each side of the alter was enriched with symbolical figures, and the end panels on each side contained the names of those killed. Above the alter was a crucifix and on either side of that were the figures of St. Mary and St. John. There was two Inscriptions which read:

Greater Love Hath No Man
and
This Alter of Remembrance And The Reredos
Are Dedicated To The Glory Of God and
To the Ever Glorious Memory Of Those
Whose Names Are Hear Inscribed Who
Gave Their Lives In The Great War
1914–1918

The Chapel was designed by A.W.R. Simpson, architect, of Richmond Terrace, Blackburn and cost about £555. There is no information of when and by whom the Chapel was unveiled and dedicated or the names of the men who died.

Blackburn Times: 26th March1919, May 5th 1924.


 

St. Stephen's Church

St. Stephen's Church is located on St. Stephen's Road, Little Harwood.
The Church War Memorial takes the form of an Organ. It was designed and built by Laycock and Bannister of Crosshill, Keighley and was dedicated on the 4th of March 1924 by the Bishop of Whalley Dr. A.G. Rawstorne.  The organ was paid for by voluntary subscription. It was erected in memory of 51 men of the Church who lost their lives in the First World War.
There is a brass plaque which is inscribed

This Organ Was Erected To The Glory Of God And In Grateful Memory Of The Men From This Parish Who Fell In The Great War 1914-1918

Greater Love Hath No Man Than This, That A Man Lay Down His Life For His Friends.  St. John XV13. 1924.

The names are:
Addison, Arthur William; Aspden, Albert; Aspin, Albert; Aspin, Gilbert; Barlow, Fred; Barnes, William Edward; Battersby, Ernest; Berry, Merrick; Blackwell, Tom; Brindle, Robert Edward; Catlow, Robert; Clarkson, Joseph; Costley, Hugh; Cottam, John; Cottam, Walter; Cumpstey, John; Dewhurst, John;  Doughty, John Henry; Driver, Harry; Eatough, Harry; Ellel, Thomas; Embley, Herbert; Grimshaw, Harry; Hadfield, William; Hartley, Joseph; Haworth, Fred; Haydock, Arthur; Haydock, Fred; Haydock, Frederick; Hilton, Edward; Holden, Alfred; King, Joseph; Knowles, Edmund; Leaming, Ralph; Marsh, Herbert; Powell, Thomas; Preston, Sam; Preston, William; Sharples, Albert Victor; Smethurst, Harry Cecil; Smith, Sam; Snailham, Thomas; Stancliffe, George; Taylor, William Barton; Taylor, Harry Haworth; Taylor, James Edward; Valentine, Joseph; Wade, Emmett; Ward, Thomas; Williams, George; Williams, John.
Thirty-nine names on this plaque are repeated on the Little Harwood Memorial.

There is a brass cross on a domed base which was a gift of James Taylor. An Inscription on it reads:

The Gift Of James Taylor
 In Loving Memory Of His Wife Ruth
 Who Died April 25th 1931
Aged 61 Years
And Of Their Three Sons
Who Lost Their Lives In The War
1914-1919

 

WW2
There is also a second War Memorial in the form of a brass plaque below the WW1 plaque which reads:

To Commemorate The Men From This Parish Who Died In The Second World War 1939-1945',

This Organ Was Rebuilt In 1949.

there are 13 names on this memorial.

Blackburn Times: 15th December 1923, 8th March 1924, 19th August 1949.
War Memorial Ref. No.: 54848, 54849, 62434.


 


St. Thomas's Church

St. Thomas’s Church was situated on Lambeth Street. 
The memorial is a carved Celtic cross in Aberdeen granite on a cube of Butler Delph* stone. The four sides of the cube contain polished granite tablets inscribed with the names of the 181 men who lost their lives in the Great War including 2nd Lieutenant J. Schofield V.C. (he is also on St. Silas's memorial.) The base is also of Butler Delph Stone.

On the Bottom Of the cross is inscribed:

This Memorial is erected in the honour of the brave men from St. Thomas's Church and Schools who gave their lives for their Country in the Great War 1914-1919 and whose names are inscribed below

Below this it says:
Greater Love Hath No Man Than This

On the other side it says:
This Memorial Was Unveiled By Lieutenant-Colonel F.A. Dixon, D.M.G., D.S.O., R.A.
And Dedicated By The Rev. F.G. Chevassut, M.A. Vicar, On Sunday August 15th 1920.

When the church was demolished the memorial was moved to the Cathedral grounds. In 2003 it was again moved to St Jude's Church, Accrington-road, which had amalgamated with St. Thomas's parish.

*A local quarry at Pleasington.

The names on the Roll are:

Pte.J. Alker; Pte.F. Almond; Std J. Almond; Cpl. D. Anderson; Pte.J. Aspin; Pte. H. Baker; Sgt. N. Baron; Pte.T. Barton; Pte.R. Beardsworth; Pte.R. Beardsworth; Pte.J. Berry; Gnr. T. Bibby; Pte.D. Bleasdale; Dvr. W. Bleasdale; R.N. J. Bolton; Pte.R. Bolton; Pte.J. Bottomley; Pte.T. Bottomley. Sig. O. Booth M.M.; Pte.W. Bradley Pte.E. Briggs; Pte.T. Briggs; Pte.J. Brighouse; Pte.J. Brown; Pte.F. Burgess; Pte.J. Butterworth; Pte.J.F. Carter; Pte.W.E. Carter; Sgt. R. Catlow; Pte.W. Catlow; Cpl. T. Chaples; Pte.T. Charnock; Pte.J. Cheetham; Pte.A. Clarke; Rfn.. T. Clayton; Pte. J. Cook; Pte. F. Cox; Pte. A. Dawson; L.Cpr. J. Denny; Pte.J.E. Dewhurst; Pte.T. Dewhurst; Pte T. Doughty; Pte.F. Duxbury; Pte.A. Earnshaw; Pte.C.A.G. Eastwood
Pte. H. Eddleston; Pte. R.T. Edmondson; Pte. F.W. Eccles; L/Cpl J. Fielding; Pte. F. Fenor; Pte. J.A Fuller; Rfn. H.H. Fortescue; 2Lt. F. Gertson D.C.M.; Cpl. G. Gregson Pte. J. Garth; Pte. J. Green; Pte. W.C. Greenhalgh; Pte. F. Greenwood; Pte. W. Gregory; Pte. H.H. Gregson; R.N. E. Hargreaves; Pte. I. Hargreaves; Dvr. J. Hargreaves; Pte. R. Hargreaves; L/c. R Hargreaves; Pte. T. Hargreaves; Pte H. Harrison; Pte. F. Harwood; Dvr. P.D. Harwood; Pte. F. Heaton; Pte. G. Henshall; Pte. W.H. Hindle; Gnr. R. Hodson; Pte J. R. Hogg; S.M. J.W. Holden; Gnr. R.S. Holden; Pte. H. Horsefield; Pte. J. Howard; Pte. E. Howarth; L/Cpl. H. Huckerby; Pte. F.S. Hutchinson; Pte. F. Hyde; Pte. R. Isherwood; Pte. A. Jackson; Pte. A. Jones Pte. J.E. Kearton; Pte. R. Kenyon; Pte. W. Kenyon; Pte.  J. Kershaw; Sgt. J.T. Knowles; Sgt. H. Lancaster M.M.; Sgt. T.H. Lancaster. L/Cpl. W.R. Lowe; Pte. W.B. Lancaster; Pte. R Lawson; Pte. R.S. Lee; Pte. A. Litherland ; Pte. E. Litherland ; Pte. R. Livesey; Pte. Longworth; Pte. T. Lund; Pte. E. Lund; Sct. R. Lowther; Pte. W. Lowther; Pte. H. Maden; Pte. A. Markland; Pte. S. Markland; Pte. T.E. Marron; Pte. C.H. Marsh; Pte. A. Metcalf; Pte. J. Morley; Pte. P. Morley; Pte E. Morris; Cpl. A Mortermer; Cpl. J. Nuttall; Pte. J. Parker; Pte. F. Parkinson; Pte. C Parkinson; Pte. J. Pickup; Pte. T. Pickup; Pte. H. Pope; Pte. J.B. Porter; Pte. J. Rawlinson; Pte. W. Read; Pte. H. Richards; Pte. T. Riches; Pte. W.H. Rigby; Pte. H. Riley; Pte. T. Rawcliffe; Pte. H. Robinson; Pte. J. Rostron; Pte. H.B. Rushton; Pte. J. Rushton; Gnr. A. Richards; 2Lt. C.F. Sames; Sgt. J.E. Sanderson; Cpl. F. Schofield; 2Lt. J. Schofield V.C.; Pte. C. Scholes; Pte. E. Sharples; Pte. J. Sharples; Pte. E. Shaw; Pte. F. Shaw; Pte. H. Shorrock; Pte. J. Simms; Rfn. R. Simpson; Pte. J.R. Singleton; Sgt. A.E Smith; Pte. J. Smith; Pte. T. Smith; Pte. F. Sowerbutts; Pte. R. Speight; Pte. H. Spencer; Pte. R. Stewart; Pte. A. Stevenson; Pte. J. Stones; Pte. F. Street Pte. J. Strong; Pte. D. Summer; Pte. A. Sutton;  Pte. C. Swindlehurst; Pte. J.J. Turner; Rfn. W. Turner; Pte. J.W. Walmsley; Pte. C. Walsh; Pte. J. Walsh; Pte. P Walsh; Pte. W. Walsh; Pte. J.T. Walton; Pte. H. Webster; Pte. H. Webster; Pte.Jno. Whalley; Pte. Jos. Whalley; Pte. J.D. White; Pte. W. Whitehead; Sgt. T. Wild; 2Lt. P.A. Woodhouse; Dvr. Woods; L/Cpl. W. Wren​.

Blackburn Times: 21st August 1920.
Blackburn Weekly Telegraph: 28th June 1919, 21st August 1920.
Lancashire Evening Telegraph 17th July 2003.
War Memorial Ref. No.: 710, 62435, 62440, ​