Holy Trinity Church, Now St. Peters, is located on Church Street Darwen.
The WW1 Memorial is a nowy headed white marble tablet. At the top are palm leaves and on the left side is a carved Angel.
An Inscription reads;
© Mike Coyle (WMR-42311)
Holly Trinity WW1 Memorial
TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE MEN OF THIS CHURCH
WHO LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1919
GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS, THAT A MAN LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS
There are 140 names of those who gave their lives, they are;
Adams, Lewis; Alston, Ben; Armstrong, Robert; Ashworth, John; Aspin, James; Astbury, William T.; Barker, Percy; Beckett, John J.; Bending, William; Bentley, Harold; Bently, John J.; Bibby, Henry; Blackledge, John; Blezard, Giles; Briggs, Hubert; Burroughs, Cyril V.; Bury, Thomas H.; Cleveland, John A.; Cox, Herbert; Crawshaw, James; Crawshaw, Ralph; Duerden, John W.; Duxbury, Lawrence; Duxbury, Thomas; Duxbury, William; Eccles, Joseph; Entwistle, John; Entwistle, John S.; Fairclough, Frederick; Fairclough, Robert; Farley, Peter; Farnworth, James; Fish, George; Fish, John; Fish, Thomas; Foster, Jacob; Garsden, Harry; Garsden, Lonsdale; Gledhill, Thomas; Grime, John J.; Hacking, Walter; Hailstone, William; Hargreaves, Andrew G.; Heap, Albert E.; Haworth, James H.; Heap, Albert E.; Heywood, Aston, T.; Higham, Herbert; Holden, James, Holden, Lincoln; Holgate, Percy; Hornby, Percy; Houghton, Alfred; Houghton, Joseph; Howarth, Percy; Hyde, Ben; Kay, Henry; Kay, Thomas; King, William H.; Kinrade, J. Sidney; Kirkham, Albert; Knowles, Leonard; Knowles, William; Langabeer, Harold; Lawson, John; Leigh, Thomas; Lightbown, John H.; Lingard, Verner B.G.; Livesey, Albert; Lomax, Jack; Lucas, Frederick W.; Marsden, Alfred; Marsden, Frederick; Marsden, Jeremiah; Massey, George; Mather, Edward; Mather, Harry; Mather, Simon; Mee, John; Metcalfe, Henry; Parkinson, George R.; Peake, William H.; Preston, Robert T.; Poole, Joseph; Ramsden, Hubert; Reeling, Charles F.; Riding, John; Riding, Walmsley P.; Riding, William; Roberts, James; Robinson, William H.; Rostron, Christopher; Rostron, Harry; Sandham, Willam; Savatard, Thomas W.; Shepherd, Harry; Shore, Samson P.; Shorrock, Harry; Smith, William J.; Stamp, George; Taylor, John L.; Taylor, John L.; Taylor, Robert; Taylor, George; Taylor, James; Taylor, Vincent; Taylor, William; Taylor, William F.; Thompson, Albert; Thornber, John; Thornber, John E.; Tootall, Thomas; Treweek; Richard; Wallis, Frederick; Walkden, Albert C.; Walmsley, Tom E.; Walsh, Anyon; Walsh, Enoch; Walsh, Frederick; Walsh, Joseph K.; Walsh, Reuben; Walsh, William; Ward, John; Ward, William; Wardley, Albert; Whalley, James; Whalley, Lambert; Whiteside, Percy J.; Whiteside, Robert; Whittaker, Nicholas; Whittaker, William; Wigglesworth, James S.; Wilde, James H.; Wilkinson, Harold; Wood, Albert; Wood, Edward; Wood, John C.; Worsley, Albert E.; Yates, George; George, John W.
There also is an elaborately carved reredos behind the altar of the church. It is a mixture of marble and alabaster. The centre panel is a carving which depicts the Last Supper. A marble shelf runs the length of the reredos with two saints standing either side across the top it is highly carved. This was placed in church in 1921 and the original design can be seen in the archive material held at church.
The Memorial was unveiled and dedicated on Sunday 6th November 1921 by the Rev. A. Botterill.
© St Peter’s Church Darwen
Holly Trinity Reredos, WW1 Memorial
This Memorial was a Chiming appliance which is used with the bells in the church tower. A wooden memorial board is located on the wall to the right of the organ. It as two red roses carved at the top corners and a red rose at the bottom Centre.
© Mike Coyle (WMR-42310)
An inscription reads:
OF THOSE MEMBERS OF THIS CHURCH
WHO DIED IN THE SECOND/
AND ALSO TO RECORD THE
INSTALLATION OF THE CHIMING APPLIANCE
IN THIS TOWER
AS A FURTHER MEMORIAL
There is also a small stone with a with a brass plaque on the front which is kept near the Lady Chapel by the Book of Remembrance. On the plaque, in white lettering, are the names of the nine men who gave their lives in WW2.
© St Peter’s Church Darwen
Stone WW2 Memorial
On the plaque it reads;
Roll of Honour
The names are;
Bamber, John; Briggs, Stanley; Davis, Harold Norman; Campbell, Kenneth; Harwood, Ernest; Holding, Stanley; Howarth, George; Marshall, Alan; Townley, Alan.
There is o Information as to when or by whom the WW2 Memorial was unveiled and dedicated.
Darwen News: November 12th 1921.
War Memorial Ref. No.; 42311, 42310.
back to top
St Barnabas Church is located on Watery Lane, Darwen.
© Albert Gavagan (WMR-51323)
WW1 and WW2 Memorial Board.
The WW1 memorial was an Oak Mural tablet, reredos and communion rails in memory of the 42 men of the church who gave their lives.
The oak Memorial board now represents those who died in WW1 and WW2. It is oblong in shape with pediment, at each side are fluted pillars, all lettering is in gold. The top pillars, WW1, have the dates 1914-1919. The names of the 42 members of the church who gave their lives in WW1 are in two columns. The pillars on the WW2 have the dates 1939-1940 then the names, in two columns, of the 17 men who gave their live in WW2
An inscription at the top, beneath the pediment reads:
TWO GREAT WARS
TO THE GLORY OF GOD
AND IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF
The names of those who died in WW1 are:
Aspden, J.T.; Ainsworth, J.; Bentley, B.; Beardshaw, R.H.; Baron, S.; Bolton, J.; Chippendale, T.; Duxbury, W.T.; Davis, F.; Dawson, R.; Dewhurst, W.; Eccles, R.E.; Eccles, A.; Entwistle, T.; Entwistle, J.J.; East, W.F.E.; Holden, L.; Holden, J.R.; Holden, C.; Howard, W.; Lowe, M.E; Lloyd, A.G.; Mainwaring, J.D.; Nield, C.; Nuttall, J.T.; Oliver, F.W.; Payne, J.J.; Shorrock, R.; Sharples, H.; Stones, W.; Taylor, A.; Townsend, F.; Walker, R. Y.; Walker, W.; Walker, T.; Wynne, T.; Worden, A.; Whewell, J.; Waddicor, J.; Waddicor, W.K. Warburton, J.; Yates, R.N.
The names of those who died in WW2 are:
Bennett, P.; Cooper, L.; Dixon, T.; Duxbury, J.; Greenhalgh, J.; Holden, J.; Holden, W.; Hacking, A.; Harwood, E.; Keown, W.; Livesey, A.; Neal, T.; Shaw, H.; Turner, W.; Walkden, W.; Wheeleer, L.; Wood, W.V.
The WW1 Memorials were unveiled Sunday 4th December 1921 by Mrs. Walker, who lost two of her sons and a grandson in the war, it was dedicated by the Bishop of Burnley, Dr. Henn.
© Albert Gavagan (WMR-51324)
WW2 War Memorial Window
There is a stained-glass window with four lights to the memory of those who died and those who served in WW2. The window represents the last supper. Each light contains the name of one of the four evangelists, Matthew, Mark Luke, and John.
An inscription along the bottom of the middle two lights reads;
TO THE GLORY OF GOD
& IN LOVING MEMORY OF
THOSE WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES &
OF ALL WHO SERVED IN THE WAR 1939-45
South African (Boer War)
© Albert Gavagan (WMR-51325)
The Boer War Memorial
This Boer War Memorial Tablet is mounted on a back-board supported by two corbels which is on a wall of the church. It is of white marble with black lettering.
The inscription reads;
ERECTED TO THE MEMORY OF
BY FRIENDS & MEMBERS OF THIS CHURCH, AS A TRIBUTE TO THE NOBLE
& GALLANT SERVICES, THEY RENDERED IN DEFENCE & HONOUR OF THEIR COUNTRY
The names, ranks, regiments date and place of death for the 3 men killed are;
Sapper William James Bland, 23rd Royal Engineers; Killed in action at Wagon Hill, Ladysmith S.A. Jann 6th 1900.
Private Frederick Charles Payne, 3rd East Lancashire Regt, who died of Enteric Fever, at Wynberg, S.A. July 16th 1900
Private Richard Keegan, 14th Kings Hussars; Killed in action at Geluk, S.A. Oct. 13th 1900.
There is also a wooden plaque with a copper plate on the choir pews to the memory of Richard Keegan. The inscription reads;
IN MEMORY OF
PRIVATE RICHARD KEEGAN
14TH KINGS HUSSARS
OF THIS PARISH WHO WAS KILLED
IN ACTION AT GELUK, S.A.
ON OCT. 13TH 1900.
ERECTED BY HIS COMRADES
This plaque to Private Richard Keegan who was killed during the Boer War.
is on the choir pews
There is no other information about the Boer War Memorials at this time.
Darwen News: 7th December 1921, 10th December 1921.
War Memorial Ref. No. 51324, 51323, 51325.
St Chad’s Church was located at Earcroft.
Its War Memorial, for Church and School, consisted of a white marble slab with gilt lettering. It was built into the wall of the school. The Memorial contained the names of 200 men who served in the forces. In the centre was an inlaid tablet with the names of 30 men who gave their lives.
The unveiling was performed by J. Bury, former headmaster of the school, and dedicated by the Rev P. Cecil Dean on Sunday 17th April 1921
No names are given.
Darwen Advertiser: 22nd April 1921.
Blackburn Times: 24th April 1921.
St Cuthbert’s Church is located on Earnsdale Road Darwen.
There are a number of Memorials in this church.
The Darwen News reports;
“…the Roll of Honour containing more than 450 names …is of velum which are inscribed in Olde English lettering the names of each parishioner who served in the war. What might be described as a centre panel hold in red lettering seventy-seven names of those who died. The whole is framed in bronze and is vividly expressed by a small gilt crucifix surmounting it.” The names of those who returned are inscribed in black lettering.
Above the panel are the words;
EVEN UNTO DEATH
On the frame, highly calligraphed are the words;
ST. CUTHBERT’S PARISH CHURCH
IN COMMEMORATION OF THOSE WHO SERVED THEIR GOD &
COUNTRY IN THE EUROPEAN WAR 1914-1919
The Memorial and Roll of Honour were made by Messrs. George Faulkner and Sons of Deans Gate Manchester. It was unveiled and dedicated on Sunday 14th May 1920, by the Rev. P. Cecil Dean, Vicar.
The next Memorial was unveiled and dedicated on the 1st September 1921 by the Archdeacon of the Blackburn Rural Deanery the Ven. E.S. Richardson as part of the churches memorial scheme to the men of the church and schools who gave their lives during WW1.
It consisted of a Communion Table and Communion Rails of Austrian Pine and was located in the south transept.
It has the inscription;
WE BLESS THY HOLY NAME
1914 IN MEMORIAM 1919
Next, on the 25th March 1922, a Window and oak reredos were unveiled by the Rev. W. Mercer and Miss J.J. Upton, respectively, and dedicated by the Archdeacon of Manchester, the Ven. N.L. Aspinall.
The Stained-glass window is of eight lights. The top four lights represent four angels
and below these are four Saints.
Under the saints and in each of the four lights on scrolls are the inscriptions;
Hope; Valour; Fortitude; Faith
GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE MEN OF THIS PARISH WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918.
St Georges Church was located on Harwood Street, Darwen.
The Memorial was a carved reredos and panelling of Austrian oak.
The inscription reads;
To the Glory of God and in Memory of These
Members of the Parish and Congregation
Who Gave Their Lives in The Great War 1914–1919
St Georges Darwen Mike Coyle.jpg
© Mike Coyle (WMR-42336)
The names of the 77 men and women who gave their lives were;
Ainsworth, F.S.; Alston, S.; Aspden, H.; Aspin, J.R.; Atkinson, G.; Banks, R.; Bannister, J.W.; Bannister, T.; Barnes, J.T.; Beesley, J.; Bending, J.T.; Bending, W.; Bolton, H.F.; Bury, J.; Bury, R.; Chappell, J.; Cockshoot, G.; Conlong, T.; Connick, W.A.; Craig, G.R.; Crook, J.H.; Eccles, J.; Eccles, R.H.; Egan, T.E.; Entwistle, J.; Firth, J.; Firth, J.N.; Fish, J.; Gore, J.; Hacking, J.; Hall, A.; Hampson, W.; Hearth, C.; Hearth, J.; Hine, G,; Ingham, R.; Jenkins, Martha E.; Jepson, H.A.; Kay, A.; Kay, W.; Leach, A.; Leach, G.T.; Leigh, J.; Lodge, W.H.; Lowe, J.; Marsden, J.E.Y.; Marsden, R.T.; Marshall, H.; Morton, G.; Nightingale, H.; Partington, W.A.; Pickering, H.; Pickup, J.; Scholes, S.; Sharples, J. Shorrock, W.; Smith, E.J.; Swanton, J.W.; Taylor, R.; Tillotson, A.; Tomlinson, W.; Townend, J.; Turbutt, J.; Walkden, J.; Walkden, W.; Walkden, W.A; Walker, T.H.; Walsh, Mary B.; Ward, J.; Watson, E.; Watson, H.; Welding, C.P.; Welding, R.; Whalley, J.D.; Whittle, J.; Wilde, J.H.; Yates, F.
Blackburn Weekly Telegraph: 7th October 1922.
Darwen Advertiser: 6th October 1922.
Darwen News: 30th September 1922, 7th October 1922
War Memorial Ref. No.; 42336.
back to top
© Albert Gavagon (WMR-42332)
WWI Memorial Plaque at St. James' Church
St. James' Church is located at Chapels Darwen.
The WWI Memorial is a nowy-headed bronze (the Darwen News says copper) plaque, at the top is a cross. The lettering is all done in gold.
There is an inscription which reads:
To The Praise And Glory Of God
In Heartfelt Thankfulness For His Merciful
Protection Shown So Markedly In Answer To
The Prayers Publicly Offered In This Parish
Daily Throughout The Great War 1914–1918
To The Ever Glorious Memory Of Our Brothers
Who Fell Fighting For Justice And Liberty
And In Gratitude To All Our Lads Who Served
The 37 names of those who gave their lives are;
Alston, John; Aspden, John, R.; Beckett, Timothy; Berry, John; Burroughs, Cyril V.; Butterworth, Balfour; Butterworth Randolph C.; Chew, William; Crompton, James T.; Done, Alexander; Evens, Herbert; Farnworth, Albert; Fenton, Samuel; Griffiths, Arthur; Harwood, James; Heap, William H.J.; Hindle, Christopher. J.; Isherwood, William Henry; Kay, Thomas; Kay, William; Lightbown, John; Livesey, Robert; McArdle, Richard; Oliver, Ralph. D.; Pickering, Harry; Silcock, Thomas; Singleton, Harry; Smith, James; Smith, John H.; Smith, John; Taylor, George; Taylor, Job; Walsh, James; Watson, Walter; Whitehead, Albert; Worsley, Albert E.; Yates, William
The Memorial was unveiled by Mrs. Butterworth, whose two sons names were on the Memorial, and James Rawlinson it was dedicated by the Rev. J. Blackburn-Brown on Sunday 17th April 1921.
© Albert Gavagon (WMR-42335)
WW2 Memorial Plaque at St. James' Church
The WW2 Memorial is also a bronze nowy-headed plaque with an Inscription which reads;
In Gratitude To
All Those Who Served
During The World War
And In Memory Of Those Who Died
At The Going Down Of The Sun And In The Morning
We Will Remember Them.
The five names of those who gave their lives are;
Clegg, Tom; Colling, Robert; Kay, George; Council, Charles; Round, Jack;
Darwen News: 20th April 1921, 23rd April 1921.
Blackburn Weekly Telegraph: 23rd April 1921.
War Memorial Ref. No.: 42332, 42335.
St John’s Church
The Bullough Memorial Tablet.
St John’s Church was located Sough Road. It Closed 1974 and demolished. It is now held at St Peters Church, Church Street.
The War Memorial was presented to the church by the Bullough family and comprises of two tablets, the first forming the head piece which deviates from the straight design by a semi-circular summit encasing the bronze emblems, crossed flags and crown. The tablets are made of Sicilian marble. It was located on the north side Transept wall.
© St Peter’s Church Darwen
St John's WW1 Memorial now at St Peter's Church
The inscription reads:
TO THE GLORY OF GOD, AND IN HONOURED MEMORY OF THE
NON-COMMISSIONED OFFICERS, AND MEN OF THIS PARISH
WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR
THIS TABLET WAS ERECTED BY JAMES BULLOUGH
AND LUCY BULLOUGH AND THEIR SONS;
MAJOR C.B. BULLOUGH, D.S.O. R.A.
CAPTAIN J.C. BULLOUGH R.F.A.
AND LIEUTENANT A.W. BULLOUGH R.E.
There are 77 names on the Memorial. First the names of the non-commissioned rank:
Lance-Sergeant C. Hearth; Corporal A. Muir; Lance-Corporal J.W. Greenhalgh; Corporal A. Kay; Bombardier W. Blacoe; Lance-Corporal W. H. Roscoe; Lance Corporal T. Greenhalgh.
Then the Following names appear;
Ainsworth, A.; Ainsworth, A.E.; Almond, F.; Armstrong, H.M.; Aspden, T.; Boardman, W.; Boardman, W.A.; Burke, E.; Bury, A.; Carpenter, W.; Cooper, W.; Cuthbert, A.; Dawson, A.; Eccles, E.; Eccles, J.; Entwistle, A.; Entwistle, G.; Entwistle J.; Entwistle N.; Farnworth, J.; Fowler, H.M.; Greenhalgh, D.; Grime, H.; Hargreaves, S.; Haywood, T.C.; Hebden, S.; Holden, H.; Holden, J.; Holden, T.; Holden, W.; Hopwood, H.; Haworth, R.; Hughes, R.; Hulme, J.; Hustwit J.W.; KJay, H.; Kay, H.W.; Kay, W.; Kenyon, A.; Kenyon, J.H.; Kershaw, P.; Kershaw, A.; Kirkham, E.; Kirkham, J.; Kirkham, J.; Leach, G.D.; Lightbown, D.H.; Lomax, J.; Lomax, J.H.; Moore, J.; Moore, J.; Moore, J.J.; Morris, J.; Pheassey A..; Pomfret, A.; Pomfret, B.; Risby, H.; Robberts, G.; Rogers, J.W.; Shorrock, W.; Slater, R.; Tattersall, A.; Taylor. J.W.; Threlfall, J.; Townsend, J.; Walkden, W.A.; Whalley, J.C.; Wilby, W.; Woodcock, S.; Worsley, H.; Yates, J.
Unveiling and dedication took place on the 30th May 1920, unveiled by Captain Cecil Bullough R.F.A., and dedicated by the Rev. R.H. Lyall, vicar of St John’s. For a long time the Memorial was lost, evenyually, thanks to Anne Hull and Nora Knowles, it was found in a large Cupboard in St. Peter's School which had replaced St John's Scool which was demolished in the 1960's.
On Sunday 24th April 1921 a Memorial Oak Screen was unveiled on which was recorded the names of 440 men of the parish who served with the forces during World War I. The unveiling was carried out by Major W. Alan Smith and dedicated by the Rec C. Smith
Darwen Gazette: 5th June 1920
Darwen News 2nd June 1920. 24th April 1921.
Blackburn Weekly Telegraph 30th April 1921.
War Memorial Ref. No.: 42330.
WW1 and WW2 Memorial Tablets
St. Mary’s Mission Church, is located on Roman Road, Grimehills, Darwen.
The Memorial is triangular headed oak board with inscription in painted lettering. fluted decoration on the left and right-hand sides of the board
There is an inscription that reads:
1914 ROLL OF HONOUR 1918
LEST WE FORGET
Adcroft, Frederick; Adcroft, George; Adcroft, John; Billington, Richard; Bould, William; Bury, Harry; Cooper, Thomas; Cronshaw, Charles; Dixon, Robert S; Haslam, Neddy H.; Holden, Edmund; Holden, William B.; Lowe, John; Melling, Robert; Newsholme, George;Pickup, James W.; Pickup, William; Rimmington, John; Yates, William T.
The memorial was made by Stanley Garland
Dedicated and unveiled April 1932.
There was also a carved oak communion table paid for by the congregation as a peace thank-offering and for the safe return of the men connected with the church. The service was held on Sunday 18th May 1919
The Oak Memorial
This memorial is the same as that for WW1 but with the Inscription
1939 ROLL OF HONOUR 1945
This Memorial was also Made by Stanley Garland
It was unveiled and dedicated in 1950. Names not known.
Darwen Advertiser: 24th May 1919.
Darwen News: 24th May 1919.
War Memorial Ref No.: 51332, 51333.
St. Paul’s church is located at Hoddlesden.
The memorial is a marble tablet on a slab of Black Granite. There is an inscription in gold lettering that reads;
THE GREAT WAR
ERECTED BY THE CONGREGATION AS AN
EVERLASTING TRIBUTE TO THE
HONOURED MEMORY OF MEMBERS
OF THIS CONGREGATION
WHO MADE THE
GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS
THAT A MAN MAY LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS
The names of the 16 men who died are inscribed in a shield, are;
Briggs, Robert; Briggs, Thomas H.; Briggs, William T.; Crompton, John; Drinkwater, Ralph T.; Duckworth, William H.; Duerden, John W.; Entwistle, Benjamin.; Haworth, George H.; Holden, Benjamin P.; Houghton, Edward; Houghton, Henry; Irwin, Albert; Leach, William; Smith, Joseph; Whittaker, John J.
The memorial was unveiled and dedicated on Sunday 23rd April, 1922, by the vicar, Rev. G.J. Ash.
Darwen News: 29th April 1922.
War Memorial Ref. No.: 51346
back to top
St. Peters Church, formally Holy Trinity, is located on Church Street, Darwen. It was re-dedicated to St. Peter in 1972. Within the Church are the memorials of Holy Trinity WW1 and WW2, St. Georges WW1, and St Johns WW1.
For Information on these memorials see the individual Churches mentioned.