Blackburn Museum and Art Gallery
Blackburn adopted the Public Libraries Act in 1853. In 1871 a site for a new library was purchased on Richmond Terrace. The corner stone was laid on 18th July 1872 by Mayor Thomas Bury and the Library was opened on 11th of June by Mayor John Pickup.
The listed building is in the early decorated gothic style with imposing frontages. The main entrance is a recessed arch protecetd above by acorbelled out canopy decorated with carvings and the Borough Arms, flanked by the arms of the De Blackburns and the Feildens of Witton.
The building contained a lending library, a reference library and a ladies reading room. On the first floor were three galleries for paintings and museum exhibits. This building now houses Blackburn Museum and Art Gallery.
Blackburn Library is now located on Town Hall Street and has undergone a £1 million refit in early 2003.
To visit the Blackburn with Darwen Library and Information Services web site click here.