The Market House
The Market House was opened on January 28th 1848 by the Chairman of the Commissioners William Hoole. The building was in the early Italian style, with a frontage of 3 gables and a campanile 72 feet high at the west end. The upper section of the tower contained an illuminated clock. The interior was 186 feet long by 109 feet wide.
The architect was Mr T Flanagan and the cost was £8,000. A second Market House originally intended for a fish market was opened in 1870-72. These buildings were demolished to make way for Blackburn Shopping precinct in the 1960s.