The Cotton Exchange
A weekly exchange meeting was held in the Old Bull Inn. A proposal to build an exchange on the site of the market cross failed and the weekly meeting moved to the vestibule of the Town Hall.
The corner stone for the Exchange was laid on March 10th 1863 and it opened in 1865. The architecture is 14th century gothic. The building comprised a large hall with ante-rooms, a two storey tower with hall, assembly room and newsroom.
The Exchange later became a lecture and concert hall and later still a cinema, being known successively as the Exchange Hall, the Majestic, the Essoldi and the Classic.
The Cotton Exchange building is now listed.