Eccles Shorrock: Death and Marriage
Very briefly, Eccles Shorrock married Sarah Dimmock on April 23 1851, but in 1853 his Uncle Eccles died, and in spite of two marriages, did not leave an heir. Consequently, Eccles, who was only twenty six, inherited, and moved into Low Hill House. He took his brothers Ralph and William into partnership and dropped his father's surname Ashton, thus becoming Eccles Shorrock. From this point, until his illness began, his business interests, civic duties, public speaking and family life would illuminate this part of East Lancashire during an age of expansion and increasing industrialisation.
A year after his Uncle's death, Eccles was expanding the firm's interests to include coal-pits, papermaking and a sawmill. Eccles Shorrock was elected to the Local Board of Health, and in 1854 the eldest of his eight children, Constance was born. The following year Eccles became a Justice of the Peace. The family business was expanding all the time. Eccles built Hope Mill for his cousin W T Ashton. In 1858, Eccles became Chairman of the Health Board. The following year in 1859, a 'New Article For Ten Year Partnership' was agreed between family members. Finally, during this period Eccles Shorrock was active in promoting education in Darwen. He was several times Chairman of the Mechanics Institute.
The education of Eccles and Ralph
Death and Marriage
Events during the 1860's
Decline in fortunes
The end of an era
Bibliography and Acknowledgments