Blackburn Girls' High School
Blackburn Girls' High School was founded in 1883, to educate the daughters of the middle classes.The original home of the school was Spring Mount on Preston New Road.When more space was needed premises at Crosshill were acquired which acted as a preparatory school for juniors. Later Crosshill became part of the secondary school, where pupils spent their first two years before moving to Spring Mount.
The High School's final home was in purpose built premises on Buncer Lane, which opened in 1961. The comprehensive system came into force a few years later and the High School merged with the former Witton Park Secondary Modern School to become Witton Park School in 1968.
Nick Harling, Keeper of Social History at Blackburn Museum gives us an insight into the history of the school.