Inland golf courses towards the end of the 19th century were essentially farmers’ fields. They were shared with cows and sheep and criss-crossed by walls and hedges. Special rules were adopted allowing players to retrieve their balls from animal droppings, clean them and place them elsewhere. Wilpshire Golf Club opened in 1889, followed by Pleasington in 1891 and Blackburn in 1894.
Click here to read about the history of Darwen Golf Club.