King Street, Whalley
A delightful view of Whalley's King Street during a gentler age. The pub at the right, the De Lacy arms still looks similar today. Whalley is one of Lancashire's best known villages,which is steeped in antiquity. There has been a village here since at least Saxon times.The Cistercian Abbey ruins date back to 1296. The first school began in 1350 and became a Grammar School in 1547 when it received its charter from Edward VI. The Parish Church of St. Mary predates the Abbey by almost 100 years. There are 3 Celtic crosses in the churchyard and inside are 15th century choir stalls which were brought from the Abbey at the Dissolution of the Monasteries.