A well known view of Preston Old Road that looks similar today, apart from the absence of traffic. Feniscowles was a hamlet of about 60 people, within the township of Pleasington. It was bought by William, one of the two Feilden Brothers, from Thomas Ainsworth in 1800-1. Further up the road is the Smithy tollgate house dating from 1835. Feniscowles is probably best known for the Sun and Star paper mills that were established close to the River Darwen in the 1870s.