Corporation Park, Blackburn
The steps lead to the cannons at the top of the Park. Known as "The Russian Guns", they had seen action in the Crimean War. The guns were mounted on stone bastions and had been bronzed and gilded. They bore the inscriptions "Russian trophies presented by the Queen" and "Captured at Sebastopol". They had a starring role in the Opening Ceremony of the Park on October 22nd 1857, when they "astonished the natives by a constant discharge of thunder".
To read more about Corporation Park, click here.