Food rationing was an inevitable consequence of War. In 1914 gifts of cheeses were given to the poor of Britain, by the Canadian Government. 100 of these came to Blackburn and were distributed to the grocers. They in turn were given out in half pound portions to those with food tickets.
In 1917, in response to a growing shortage of basic food stuffs, a local Food Control Committee was established. One of their initial duties was the fixing of maximum prices for meat, cheese, butter, lard and flour. Various Government orders placed restrictions on the prices of staple items and on the quantities that could be sold. In July 1918 National Ration Books were issued, although local rationing for meat, bacon, ham, butter, margarine and tea had been enforced in March 1918.
The Committee also had a duty to help the poorer classes who could not afford the high prices, and to this end adopted a scheme of producing cheap wholesome sausages and black puddings.