Alston Hall, Grimsargh
The Hall, situated near Longridge, was built in 1876 for John Mercer, colliery owner and his two young sons, from his second marriage. Sadly both sons died before the family moved into the Hall. It was left to Mercer's grandaughter, a nun, before being sold to the Eccles cotton family and then to the Birtwhistle cotton company. Birtwhistles sold it in 1949 and it has been used as an adult education college since then.
J. W. Shaw Exhibition Main Menu