Darwen Charter of Incorporation
On the 22nd March 1878, the people of Over Darwen were given permission by this Charter to set up their own Borough Council with a Mayor, Aldermen and 18 Councillors, who would have the power to acquire property and appoint Officers in order to carry out the functions of Local Government. The Charter provides a time schedule for the setting up of the new Council and divides the Borough into six electoral wards. Attached to the Charter is the Great Seal of Queen Victoria. In time the original name of Over Darwen, shortened to Darwen and the Darwen Council continued to operate until 1974 when the Borough of Darwen, the County Borough Borough of Blackburn and various other Local Authority areas were merged together to form the new Borough of Blackburn.
Gold Pendant and Badges
Other Mayoral Items
Charters of Incorporation: Blackburn
Charter of Incorporation: Darwen
Civic Pride Main Menu