The church of St. Mary and St. John the Baptist was built between 1816 and 1819. It was built by John Francis Butler as a thanksgiving for his recovery from an accident.
John Palmer of Manchester was the architect of this 'astonishing church' to use Pevsner's words. A number of architectural styles and conventions contribute to the overall effect. It is a Grade 1 listed building, one of only two in the Borough, the other being Turton Tower.
Pleasington Priory is a listed building.