The Palace opened in 1899 as a theatre. Animated pictures were shown after the theatrical performances. It closed as a theatre in 1932 and re-opened as a cinema in 1936. It was to close and re-open several times after that. It became a bingo hall in 1964, but the circle was re-opened as a cinema in 1975. It closed for the final time in 1984 and was later demolished.