Conservatory, Corporation Park, Blackburn
The Park opened in 1857, as part of the Council's aims to provide new civic amenities. The Conservatory though did not open until 1900. A generator near West Park Lodge was used to power the heating system needed to allow a wide variety of Flora from around the world to be grown. The chiming clock above the main entrance was provided by Mr. Ainsworth of Northgate, giving residents in the vicinity no excuse for being late for work
Their Majesties King George V and Queen Mary visited Blackburn in July 1913, and Corporation Park was one of the places they visted. To find out more about the visit, click here.
Shaw's photographs of the flower beds and fountain are also in the exhibition and to read more about the history of Corporation Park, click here.
J. W. Shaw Exhibition Main Menu