This village on the Fylde is listed in the Domesday Book as "Eglestun" meaning place of the church. Agriculture predominated with rushes being grown for one of its main "industries" of days gone by, that of rush-light making. Rushes were used on the floor of the local church and rush bearing ceremonies were also held. The great landowners were the Leckonby Family of Leckonby House, which was destroyed by fire in 1766.
J. W. Shaw Exhibition Main Menu