​ ​ Nova Scotia, Hollin Bridge, Leeds/Liverpool Canal | Sunnyhurst Wood, Carved Stone Bridge, Darwen 
Lewis T​extile ​Museum​| The Cotton Exchange | Richmond Terrace Town Hall, King William St
 | Turners Almhouses | 20, 28, 30 & 36 Church St. 35, 37, 39, 41 King Street | Imperial Mill


 

 Nova Scotia, Hollin Bridge, Leeds/Liverpool Canal

  
Grade II
Date listed: 18th February 1992
Date of last amendment: 18th February 1992
 
SD 6726
 
Nova Scotia, Hollin Bridge. Public road bridge over Leeds-Liverpool Canal. c.1816-20. Coursed squared sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings. Semi-elliptical arch with rusticated voussoirs and keystone; plain band; parapets with rounded coping; curved abutments and rectangular terminal piers. Forms group with Lock No.57 (q.v.) to the east and Ewood Aqueduct (q.v.) to the west; and part of a linear group of canal structures from Lock No.52 (q.v.) to the east to Ewood Aqueduct.
 
back to top
 

Sunnyhurst Wood, Carved Stone Bridge, D​​arwen

 

Grade II

Date listed: 27th September 1984
Date of last amendment: 27th September 1984

SD 677 229
 
Darwen Sunnyhurst Woods. Carved stone bridge. Small bridge over waterfall in brook, dated 1912. Sandstone blocks and ashlar. Segmental arch with dressed voussoirs and carved keystones, balustrades and curved approach walls in Jacobean style with turned stone balusters, panelled pedestals, ball finials, ramped coping, etc. Inner face of left approach wall at south end has inscribed tablet stating that bridge was erected in honour of William Balle Huntington by the employees of The Wallpaper Manufacturers Ltd., 9th November 1912.
 
back to top 

   

Lewis T​extile ​Museum (​Now Closed)​

 
Grade II
Date listed: 19th April 1974
Date of last amendment: 19th April 1974
 
SD 6828 SW 4/52
 
Brick, Victorian, palazzo style. 3 storeys. Ground floor of Regency style, with doorway and flankng lights in wide segmental arch with fanlight; and large bow window. 1st floor has 3 round-arched sash windows with radiating glazing bars, brick arches and stone imposts with dentils. Cornice above 1st floor, with dentils. Top floor has 3 smaller round-arched sashes. Top cornice projects deeply on paired brackets. Small iron balconies to 1st floor windows.
 
 
back to top
 

The Cotto​​n Exchange

 
Grade II
Date listed: 2nd September 1985
Date of last amendment: 2nd September 1985
 
SD 62 NE 4/18
 
King William Street, Unit 4 Cinema (formerly the Cotton Exchange). Cotton Exchange, now cinema. 1862-5 by Brakespear of Manchester. Coursed ashlar with slate roofs. High Victorian Gothic, the design is incomplete as one wing and the central tower were never built so the plan is asymmetrical; an octagonal entrance, which was to form the base of the tower and the northern wing only were constructed. The twin pointed entrances,in the frontal angle of the 2-storey octagon, have elaborately carved foliated cusping to the 2-light trefoliated heads and quatrefoil tracery, set in splayed, perpendicular, traceried, panelled reveals to the moulded pointed porch, each bay distinguished by an octagonal plinthed buttress with crenellated apex ogee finial. A continuous moulded string course divides the 1st from the 2nd storey, each face of which contains a 3-light perpendicular traceried pointed opening with hood mould and off-set buttress between each face. The crenellated parapet is canted on a bossed, coved moulded cornice with gargoyles to the angles and the octagonal roof has bands of fish-scale shaped tiles with a flag pole at the apex. The north elevation is of 2 storeys and 9 bays. Bays 1, 3, 5, 7, 9 have deeply-set square headed moulded reveals to what were originally shop doors, now glazed in the 1st storey beneath. 2-light, square-headed cusped and traceried cross windows alternating with canted bay windows in bays 2, 4, 6, 8, plain below and 6-light square-headed traceried and cusped transomed and mullioned above. There is a bossed, coved and moulded continuous hoodmould with gargoyles at the cant points of the bay windows to a plain, 5-course upper wall crenellated parapet. The north wing is linked to the octagon entrance by an angled 2-storey bay, the upper storey fenestrated with a 6-light square-headed, traceried, transomed, mullioned and cusped window. The interior has been extensively altered to accommodate 3 cinemas and has not been inspected. Charles Dickens gave his last public reading here.
 
back to top 


Richmond Te​​​rrace

 
 
Grade II
Date listed: 15th August 1973
Date of last amendment: 15th August 1973
 
SD 6828 SW 4/26
 
Richmond Terrace (numbers 1 to 21). Long red brick terrace built circa 1855. All 2 storeys, with stone moulded cornice and plain parapet. Tall chimneys. All have Ionic doorways, but varying in detail - some columns fluted, others not, with frieze and cornice set in segmental brick arches. No 11 has a raised curved pediment over cornice, with a shield of arms and lettering on frieze stating "Witton Estate Office". Each has one window on ground floor and 2 above, with flat brick arches. No 21 has C20 alterations to ground floor, for insurance office, others unaltered. Nos 1 to 27 (consec) form a group.
 
 
 

Town Hall, King William St


 
Grade II
Date Listed: 19th April 1974
Date of last amendment: 19th April 1974
 
SD 6828 SW 4/23
 
1852 by Patterson. Large rectangular stone building, now joined to a new annexe. Rusticated ground floor, modillioned eaves cornice over 1st floor, pierced balustrade above attic storey. Quoins. Round-arched Italianate windows. Corinthian columns on 1st floor at front. End 3 bays project slightly, with balustraded balconies.
 
 
 

Turners Alm​houses

 
Grade II
Date listed: 28th November 1951
Date of last amendment: 28th November 1951
 
SD 62 NE 5/3
 
Nos 58 to 68 (even) (Turner's Almshouses). Front garden walls to Nos 58 to 68 (even) (Turner's Almshouses)
Single storeyed stone cottages in a terrace, with quoins, hipped slate roof, cornice, and centre pediment containing an inscribed stone with date 1833. 6 doors, 6 windows, all with pointed arches and labels in Gothic style. Include stone wall in front of small gardens. Nos 58 to 68 (even) form a group.
 
 

20, 28, 30 & 36 Church St. 

 
The Pavilions
Grade II
Date listed: 19th April 1974
Date of last amendment: 19th April 1974

SD 6828 SW 4/7

Church Street, Nos 28 and 30.
 Circa 1840, classical style, square plan. Stone, 2 storeys, corner pilasters, cornice, panelled parapet. Ground floor shop front. Upper floor has 3 sash windows in moulded frames. Cathedral Gateway, Nos 20, 28, 30 and 36, Railings, Piers, Lampholders and Statue, Boulevard and Cathedral Church of St Mary form a group.

Grade II
Date listed: 19th April 1974
Date of last amendment: 19th April 1974

SD 6828 SW 4/6

Number 20 Church Street. Circa 1840, classical style. Stone, 2 storeys, corner pilasters, cornice, panelled parapet. Shop on ground floor, 2 sash windows above in moulded frames, Square plan. Cathedral Gateway, Nos 20, 28, 30 and 36, Railings, Piers, Lampholders and Statue, Boulevard and Cathedral Church of St Mary form a group.

Grade II
Date listed: 19th April 1974
Date of last amendment: 19th April 1974

SD 6828 SW 4/6

Number 36 Church Street. Circa 1840, classical style. Stone, 2 storeys, corner pilasters, cornice, panelled parapet. Shop on ground floor, 2 sash windows above in moulded frames, Square plan. Cathedral Gateway, Nos 20, 28, 30 and 36, Railings, Piers, Lampholders and Statue, Boulevard and Cathedral Church of St Mary form a group.
 
 

35, 37, 39, 41 King S​treet 

 
Grade II
Date listed: 19th April 1974
Date of last amendment: 19th April 1974
              
SD 6827 NW 2/16

King Street (North West Side). Rainwater-head dated 1745. Painted red brick. 3 storeys. Panelled centre door and traceried round-arched fanlight, with Tuscan half-columns and raked broken pediment. 2 early C20 shop fronts. 1st floor has 5 12-ironed sash windows with painted flat brick arched lintels and stone sills. Nos 2 and 4 form a group.
 
 

Imperial Mi​ll 

 
Grade II
Date listed: 19th April 1974
Date of last amendment: 19th April 1974

SD 62 NE 5/53

SD 72 NW 7/53

Wallace Street, Imperial Mill. Red brick mill of dignified proportions, probably early C20 (perhaps circa 1900). 3 and 4 storeys, with stringcourses and pilasters. Long rectangular plan with rows of large close-set 8-paned windows. Engine-house projects at right angle with 6 round-arched windows on long sides, and 2 Gothic-traceried round-arched windows on end facing canal. Staircase tower on north angle, with round-arched grouped windows on top floor.